Progression Of Gerds to Cancer?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. My name is Curtis. Im 42 and I live in the U.S.,South Carolina. My first post so wanted to say hello before I bring up my issues and questions.

I have had reflux probably about 18 years. First signs of it were lpr symptoms pretty much outside a stomach burn when I was first put on gerds meds back then. Was put on protonix 20 mg and worked like a charm. Probably took it about a year and for the longest time didnt need it and was symptom free for years outside occasional regurgitation or very mild heartburn which an over the counter antacid took care of. My issues however started to get chronic after needing to take nsaids for degenerative cervical disk pain. My gerds got bad while taking them to the point I switched to tylenol instead. But by that time the gerds was here to stay. Was put back on ppi which has been changed up several times the last two years because they help for a while but then stop. Well in the last month I developed the classic lpr symptoms again along with what has now become daily heartburn. Actually it seems to alternate. Some days its the lpr and some its the chest pain of heartburn. Never had a scope for gerds. But have been set up appointment with GI doc to discuss if one is needed. Emergency told me I had esophagitis. My doc now has me taking 40 mg protinix and 150 mg ranitadine at night before bed. Just started that last week. Stopped coffee,cut way back on colas until I can boot them also. Scared of scope findings. Not really the scoping it self. My question is this. What has been studied to determine length of time from gerds to cancer in the general population? Im seeing many people who have had gerds for 30 plus years and no cancer even though they may have esophagus issues. Hoping I fall in to that catergory of people.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I find it very surprising that your doctor has not sent you for an endscopy, its pretty standard here in the UK or have you not had one done because you have no medical insurance and would have to pay for it yourself. An endscopy may be expensive but it really would put your mind at rest.

Its times like this that people in the UK forget how lucky they are with the NHS. Yes you may have to wait but there is no bill at the end.

As others have said, you probably have nothing to worry about, hope it all works out for you

• Posted

I have medical care through greenville hospital system and an outside clinic. They do good by me. Its just that out of all the doctors Ive seen since being told I had gerd,none even thought of it as a big deal. Old out dated thinking. My new doctors arent that way.
    • Posted

Like you I went to one of the newer forward thinking young doctors today he he rather amazingly started the session with an accupuncture treatment. Too early to tell if this has done anything. It is really refreshing to see normal doctors branching out into new fields dont you think? This guy is also super focussed on food. His mantra is food got you into this mess and whole foids will get you out of it with a little bit of help from meds and supplements. What a find! 
    • Posted

I agree. My newest doc wasnt having the whole "here lets swap this ppi for that ppi and see you in a month" business. She did the ekg first then changed my ppi dose and added the ranitadine then set me up to meet with gi doc.
    • Posted

Same here in Australia. The wait for an endo is around ,6 months unless you are admitted via the ambulance. Private insurance is about a week but the killer is we ha ve a thing here called the Gap payment and this is anywhere upwards from $250.00. To see an ENT here takes from 4 to 6 weeks privately. Going public you do not get to chose your doctor.
    • Posted

I should be able to consult with gi doc on the 22nd,if he feels I need the scope he or she will refer me to one their gi buddies who will do the scope. That Im guessing might take about two to three months based on time it took for me to get last scope for colon cancer screening. Had that in november 2014 for ibs symptoms. Got a normal result on that with a return in 10 years for follow up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.