Prolapse surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I have just had a anterior and a rectocele repair 2 days ago and I am in such agony . I can barely  sit down and I was just wondering how long I should expect to feel this way. I was released on the same day with no aftercare information so I would be grateful for any advice from someone who had had this done please . Thank you 

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Where did you have your surgery? To be sent home on the same day seems so early, can you speak to anyone at the hospital?
    • Posted

Hi Shelia . I had my surgery done in Essex England. 

I am going to call the hospital tomorrow as I wasn't seen by a dr before I left and don't really know what to expect now . Feeling very sore when trying to sit down so just wondering how people cope with it. I have paracetamol and nurofen and co codamol but I think this is binding me up . God is women do go through it don't we!

• Posted

Hi Jane. I had an anterior and posterior repair, plus a vaginal hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation in May. I was in hospital for three nights!

I came home with paracetamol and ibuprofen and  diclofenac suppositories   I took these for ten days and was in very little pain. I also had two sachets of Movecol a day to prevent constipation, this really worked and I never had to strain! I also had prunes and flaxseed. 😳

I do hope you get some further help with regards to pain killers, do take them, and what to expect.

This forum has been a massive help to me over the past four months. 

We've all been through various surgeries so sharing our stories is invaluable. 

Take care, be patient and rest, rest, rrst. I'm in the UK too, Northampton. 

• Posted

When you phone the hospital Janet, ask when you should start pelvic floor exercises.I was told to start straight away but the advice varies according to different doctors as we've all had different ops.Some ladies are told not for 6 weeks! Good luck.Carol x

• Posted

Good advice, I was told no pelvic floor exercises for six weeks, following an anterior and posterior repair, vaginal hysterectomy and sacrospinous fixation. So important to let everything heal, those muscles can wait! 
  • Posted

I'm a year out. But one thing I did. I remember this from child birth 25 years ago. There a lot of swelling there. I took sanitary pads and wet them, then put in  freezer. It did give some temporary relief. I believe it was about 2 weeks before things calm down. It felt better to lay down than sitting. Differently stay off your feet as much as possiable.

And it's better to take something for pain than to be tensed up from pain. 

Hope you start to feel better soon.

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear you're in such pain Janet. I feel for you so much & truly sympathise. I was in your situation 5 weeks ago.I had posterior & anterior prolapse repairs, plus perineum reconstruction & like you was discharged from hospital with very little information, other than being told to take it very easy & not lift anything for 6 weeks. All I can say is that it DOES get easier, but it takes time. I'm still taking great care & relying on my husband's help, though am slowly getting back to normal. Please make sure you don't get constipated as straining can make things worse. I take a Lacido sachet morning & evening. Accept all the help you can for the next few weeks. Rest as much as possible & listen to your body, you don't have to be brave.  Be kind to yourself, you've been through a lot. I've found this forum invaluable & had more support, understanding & advice than from any medic. The ladies on here have REAL experience, not just text book advice.Sending you hugs. Best wishes.Carol xx

• Posted

Thank you so much Carol. It's so good to talk to someone that has been through this . I seriously thought something was wrong as I never expected this to be so painful . I will take on board the advice and I am very grateful for it. Thank you for the advice and kind wishes x 

• Posted

4 weeks ago when I was in despair like you,someone wrote to me that in a few weeks time when I felt better, I'd be trying to comfort someone else.I can't believe that that time has actually come-things really do improve with time. You just need to be a patient patient,which is not easy! xx

• Posted

Hi Janet, so sorry you're in agony I can sympathise with you. You do need to rest preferably lying down to take any strain off you. You musn't do anything such as pulling, pushing & lifting! Not even bending down to pick anything off the floor. Take your pain relief & drink plenty of water. I'm 5wks post op & I have to say it isn't easy. Hope you manage to sleep well, I always find I'm in less pain when lying in bed. Take care x

• Posted

Thanks Janet. Really struggling to sleep at the moment as I just can't get comfortable no matter what position I am in. I usually have a good pain threshold but this seems to have caught me off guard . After 3 large babies I feel like this has been more painful than post childbirth . Am I being a whinger ? 

• Posted

The pain after childbirth, for me, was a doddle! My second baby was big, no pain relief, no stitches but possibly that where my problems started. Maybe I pushed too hard. 😳

The anterior and posterior repair, whilst, not agony are taking a long time to heal. Nearly five months now and the posterior one still has a lot more healing until it's comfortable; that's hoping it will be!

• Posted

Hi Janet, you are certainly not a whinger! I, like you had three babies & felt they were a doddle compared to what I'm experiencing now. I don't think the hospital gave you enough information & I also think the recovery time is a bit optimistic! Stay on this forum as the lovely ladies will help you get through this & you are not on your own. Janet x

• Posted

Thank you so much, you ladies are amazing . I think I have had more help and advice from you ladies than anything I have read. Thanks so much I really appreciate it xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.