Prolapse surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I have just had a anterior and a rectocele repair 2 days ago and I am in such agony . I can barely  sit down and I was just wondering how long I should expect to feel this way. I was released on the same day with no aftercare information so I would be grateful for any advice from someone who had had this done please . Thank you 

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Did they give you pain medication? My surgeon gave me suppository Diclofenac. They work wonderfully. I never had much pain but I still use these and I am 4 weeks pro-op. 
    • Posted

Only co codomal on leaving the hospital but I find it is binding my tummy up 
    • Posted

I also took Senokot for a week or so after which is a light laxative/stool softener. This helped a lot so there wasn't any constipation and therefore no straining. Straining can be quite painful and also is not good for the site to heal. I hope you feel better soon. I'm 4 weeks post-op and still have a hard time sitting for any length of time. It does get better 😊💕

• Posted

Co codomal definitely makes you constipated, you really need something like Movecol, to soften the stools. This is better than a laxative and is safe to take for a while. Do try dried prunes and milled flaxseed, the flaxseed can be sprinkled on cereals, yogurt in soups etc. Cheap in Aldi! 
  • Posted

I agree with Grace that it's best to take pain killers for a while.  I took Ibuprofen  & paracetamol regularly for about 2 weeks as I too found it very uncomfortable to sit down. Lying down, standing (but not for long) or walking was better for me. I use a coccyx cushion for sitting which helps. Good luck.

• Posted

Go to Genitourinary home page and click on South Tees information and it's got all the info you need for post-op. Take pain meds regularly by the clock, not waiting till pain is real bad. Write down the times you're taking them so you can make sure you're taking them when due. Codcomol is real bad for causing constipation & that's the last thing you need. Drink heaps. But you do need stool softeners. You can take panadol 3hrly for a few days until pain is under control. Great combination with Nurofen. But Nurofen is 6hrly. Totally forget pelvic floor excercises at this stage - that's the least of your worries, but from me - don't even think about them at all while you are struggling. You're already sore enough and while it's all so swollen inside there, your not going to be able to do them anyway. 

• Posted

Thank you Robyn! I really appreciate the advice. God us women really do go through the mill don't we!

• Posted

I hade a grade 2 rectocele repair done in the US, went home the same day,  I couldn't void, so went home with an indwelling catheter that I ripped out after six hours.  I am a nurse.  I voided just fine afterwards.  Also had a sling operation which was a success.  The rectocele repair was pretty rough , I will be honest.  I couldn't take the pain pills, because I was so stowed up from constipation already.  So I took dulcolax oral tablets at the recommendation of my surgeon and after five days post op, things started breaking loose.  At last, relief.  After that I stayed on stool softeners religiously, drank lots of water.  Six weeks post op, I am now feeling human again.  Until now, my perineum felt heavy and swollen.  Thank goodness, it feels normal now.  Feel free to ask any questions if you have more.  I will tell you that I regretted the surgery the first week...thinking what the hell did I get myself into.

• Posted

Thanks Sherry , I am feeing that way at the moment . Day four and I am still so sore and can hardly sit comfortable at all.

Did you have a follow up appointment afterwards as I don't seem to have one and this morning I had a stitch in the tissue when I went for a wee. Thought 4 days was a little early for the stitches to dissolve or is that ok?

• Posted

Hi Janet. I haven't got a follow up appointment either. I was told if I had any problems to ring & hopefully I'd be seen. Not very satisfactory as I've no idea what is classed as a problem!  That is why I'm so pleased to have found this forum as the lovely ladies on here have put my mind at rest over so many worries.Take care.x

• Posted

Yes exactly , my stitches feel tight and I am wondering if that's just starting to heal and it's the swelling . I also find that If I have wind I almost jump out of my chair with the pressure feeling. Just wondering again if that's all just normal. 

• Posted

Was it a proper stitch with a knot or just a piece of the thread?
    • Posted

Hi Robyn it was a stitch with an undone know in it that came off in the tissue when I wiped. Just not sure how quick they start to dissolve 
    • Posted

Undone Knot in it I meant 
    • Posted

Immmm. Don't want to freak you out but that is a little early. They should stay for 10 days. There's probably lots in there so maybe one coming undone & out is ok. But just for peace of mind can you ring your Surgeons office. 

• Posted

Thanks Robyn I went to the Dr today's and she checked it out and said it was fine . Looked like a odd bit of a stitch but said the stitched site looked mildly infected and gave  me anti biotics . That may be why it was still so sore .Thanks for your response x

• Posted

I went back today for a check up after a week on anti biotics for a check up and the infection had gone but I am still in so much pain. The Dr ( who is a gyne Dr) said the stitches are too tight and this is why it's so sore! 

What a crap magnet I am!!

I have to let the swelling go down further and go back for him to check it again and he will reassess it! 

Pain relief and rest for me!! 

• Posted

Oh no Janet!  What did your MD say about the stitches?  Will they loosen over time?  I will tell you that until 5-6 weeks postop, my stitches felt tight, too.  Especially at the posterior vaginal wall right at the perineum.  Like a tight "V", not the soft rounded normal tissue.  But I guess this is the new normal for us.  My surgeon said at 2 and 6 week postoperative exams that all looked good.  The tightness has decreased now at 8 weeks.  Gotta run...

• Posted

Hi sherry 

He said it was all still swollen so he will check again in 2 weeks and see how things are going but he looked very concerned at how tight they were. 

This must be why they are still so painful as most people on here seem to be ok with the stitches afterwards. 

Can I ask how you all got on with intercourse afterwards because right now the thought makes me cringe after being so sore

• Posted

Hi Janet,

Haven't crossed that bridge yet...

am interested in what others have to say about this.  Honestly, the idea still makes me cringe, so I'm not pushing it.

😎

• Posted

I was told 6-8 weeks, then  my surgeon said 12 weeks, I thought she was joking, she wasn't! 

At nearly five months sex is still painful, we've not tried it many times though. I had a hysterectomy too, initially it was the posterior repair, so tight you couldn't even get in. ?? Now it's deep inside, I think it's the vaginal cuff or vault, slight bleeding and sore. 

Oh dear.....

It all takes far longer to heal, internally, than I'd anticipated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.