Prolapse surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I have just had a anterior and a rectocele repair 2 days ago and I am in such agony . I can barely  sit down and I was just wondering how long I should expect to feel this way. I was released on the same day with no aftercare information so I would be grateful for any advice from someone who had had this done please . Thank you 

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am having my anterior and posterior colporrhaphy surgery tomorrow and I am freakin' the eff out.  In my life I have had several surgeries.  Some elective and some not and for some reason I am dreading this one.  I don't smoke.  I am in good shape and I have had fantastic recoveries after ALL of my surgeries.  My doctor said that I would need to take at least a week off from work but after reading this board I feel like that is not the case.  I have to travel 15 days post op to go to a very important meeting regarding a lawsuit involving the death of my mother.  Will that be a problem? 

• Posted

Please try not to worry too much,   you say you're  in good shape & may also have youth on your side! Everyone has different recovery times & remember the ladies on this forum are on it for a reason, so there maybe lots of ladies that have sailed through this surgery therefore not needing any advice! I have to admit that I'm struggling a bit with my recovery but that's me!!! Try to keep positive & remember the ladies will help you through this...Good luck for tomorrow  x

• Posted

I had an anterior and posterior repair, plus a vaginal hysterectomy in May. My initial recovery was great and at fifteen days I was amazed how little pain I was in.  I'm not sure how far you need to travel, I couldn't drive for six weeks and had eight weeks off work! 

We are all so different but personally, if I'd been accompanied I could have gone to such an important meeting at that stage. I was pleased to have the time off work, I think doctors do tend to be a bit vague about time needed to recover, it is major surgery.  

For me the surgery was the easy bit, I didn't however appreciate what I was actually having done and that full recovery will be a long time yet. 

Good luck, I've found the support on here invaluable; we're all in the same boat! 

• Posted

Good advice Sheila, I'm 5wks post-op & not driving yet & don't want to. Although I too agree about being accompanied  on a journey...I think it can be done with help!

• Posted

Okay so I had my surgery and most of my problems were rectocele related and my recovery has been surprisingly really easy.  I had it on Wednesday, stayed the night at the hospital, released Thursday and I was out driving and running errands on Friday morning.  I am catching myself overdoing it though and I keep forgetting to not lift anything. Hopefully my recovery will continue to be easy.  
    • Posted

Gosh you seem to be sailing through it just as I said you might. Please take it a bit steady, we dont want you having a relapse. You should be resting for at least 2wks & thereafter taking it easy for another 4wks. Glad things are working out for you. Good luck x

• Posted

Dear natemac,

No no no no.  Don't be this active.  Sorry, I am a bit direct -I felt this same way after my surgery for a few days.  Hi energy, "what's the big deal?" attitude.  I knew better as a nurse.  My husband as a physician, told me to stop and settle.  He said that all of the drugs I got during the procedure was still on board.  

He was right,  I hit a wall after that and payed dearly.  Please don't overdo.  I have a high tolerance for pain, and this was almost as bad as my craniotomy in 2013.  But a different kind of pain.  

• Posted

Hi sherry

Can I ask if it’s normal to still have tummy pains? Do you think this is just the healing phase? 

I have had a non stop tummy ache since the op. Not excessive just a constant dull ache . Do you recall this ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.