Prolapsed disc L5S1 Pain unbearable

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi

I have had sciatica for 4-5 months and pain has been awful. Numb down leg and foot (left side). I have no ankle reflex and now lost some sensation in genital area and bottom. I was admitted to hospital last week and had MRI scan which shows prolapsed disc, however was advised I did not need emergency surgery as I haven't lost control of my bladder/bowel.  I have been referred to Neurologist at the New Glasgow Super Hospital. I was told I will need surgery. Not sure how long I will wait for an appointment. Iam releieved in one hand that I have answer re sciatica pain as physio and pain killers not helping but on other hand scared re prospect of surgery.  Looking for advice re what it will entail and recovery period.  I don't know how much longer I can put up with the pain.  I've been off work 3 months and want to get back. I am a social worker and spend a lot of time typing lenghty reports, attending meetings, driving and visits so not sure how feasible getting back is. 

Jackie 

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

I am now getting the odd pins and needles or more like a feeling that a needle is being stuck into my other foot.  The pain and pins and needles remain in my left side/foot.  I am wondering if this can happen or should I be concerned.  It's bad enough having it all down my left side without the added pain to my other foot (the right leg is fine it just the odd occasion I am feeling this sensation on the right foot). 

the whole situation is getting me down.  

• Posted

Hi Jackie, i sometimes experience pain in my other foot but not often. I don't know what might be causing that. I have a lot of referred pain in my hip that is due to the discs. The pain I have in my left foot is very sharp, like having glass pushed into your foot. It is intense and unbearable at times. I once nearly poured boiling water from the kettle onto my bare arm as I couldn't take the pain any more. Fortunately my husband is very loving and patient and helps me to cope.

I know how depressing it can get. I am taking all the pain meds I can as well as seeing an osteopath regularly. I go to the hydroth

erapy pool as that is soothing. I read a lot and try to get out as m

uch as I can, all these things help as a distraction but I would like to know what the root cause of the problem is.

Try to be kind to yourself and keep positive, I know this is easier said than done at times. I wrote a detailed complaint to the NHS and copied it to my MP and felt loads better. It's the frustration and needless setbacks that make it hard.

I have a meeting with work tomorrow and am able to be realistic about my limits. Anyway, hope your case is moving on,I'll post when I've seen the consultant next week, wish me luck! !

All the best,

smile

Is there an acute pain group nearby? I'm giving that a go at the end of the month.

• Posted

Hi Helen

Thanks for above. Sounds similar to pain I feel in my feet. I'm lying in bed as I write this and feel every tendon in my leg is being stretched as if I've been placed on a stretching rack feels like a burning pain and when I stand like knife is being stuck into my thigh. Meds don't touch the pain. Anyway guess I need to be patient and wait my turn on NHS like everyone else. I think I will be looking into Private Health Insurance. I know it wont cover this but I never want myself or family to be in this situation again. Like you I'm lucky to have a very supportive husband.

I had a meeting at work today. They continue to be very supportive. I'm going to do a phased return and then given I do a great deal of Report writing I will work from home three days per week for a period of time. I feel I need to get back to work for my own wellbeing as being stuck in everyday is driving me insane. hope your employer works out a plan to support your return.

I'll keep you posted. What city are you from if you don't mind me asking.

Jackiec

• Posted

Jackie,

i have had sciatica on and off for 4 years. Recently hit me hard and had an MRI scan as had pain in both legs. I have small bulging disc l5 hitting my s1 nerve ,causing compression with a right side eccentricity (what ever that is)and in l4 minimal feminnal  narrowing along with minor dessication. When i read the report my doctor couldnt even explain it. I have pins and needles in my right foot , and ankle bone, and pains in my upper left thigh  and foot.

The whole thing is confusing as ive had 10 physio appts, accupunture, and Im now trying some more exercises.

Even I dont know what will happen, Im mobile I try to walk but it gets me down and I feel for anyone with this pain.

Im luckier than most when i read the pain some people are in but when that nerve is hit its awful.

If any one has nay advice I would welcome it as well.

My problem is I also suffer from problem with my platelets and attend hospital every three months to check my blood count.

A year ago I had none of this apart from a little sciatic niggle, went for a 50s health check... not a good move

• Posted

Hi Heather

when I got my MRI scan three weeks ago I was given little information other than L5 S1 and that I would be referred to a Nuero Surgeon as Given I have had physio for 12.weeks  that I need surgery.  The physio has discharged me as nothing else he can do.  I am numb at top of my thigh (outside) and at the outside of my foot with no ankle reflex.  I was admitted to hospital due to numbness around gentile area and back passage, although I was not aware of this until GP and Othopedic surgeon carried out tests with a pin and anal examinations. I have feeling in the inside of my legs and saddle so was not seen as an emergency because I had not lost bowel or bladder control.  It is now a waiting game.  I have been referred to neuro surgeon but no idea when I willmgetvan appointment despite my referring being classed as urgent by the orthopedic surgeon.  Meanwhile I am trying to remain mobile as sitting around makes the pain worse.  

have you been referred elsewhere given your diagnosis?  Inthinkmyour right to remain as mobile as possible as like Insaid I find sitting about makes my pain worse.  If you have not been referred elsewhere I would speak with your GP to ask what your options are.

if surgery is the only option for me I am going for it as I can't out up with this any longer. 

Goid is luck and let us know how you get on. Take care x 

• Posted

Hi have you not asked your doctor to give you a copy of your scan details I know the symptoms may sound and feel really bad but don't go into this blindly try and do as much research as possible look for alternatives there are also different types of surgeries if that is the root you want to go down some have more risks than others and some work better than others in certain situations

I live in West Yorkshire so for me Manchester is not too far the lady from msk was not been clear about my mri (I was in a car accident on the 14 may shunted from behind) which has caused alot of pain and difficulty in walking oh I am 31 and a single parent of two little ones to go under the knife on my back for me has to be an absolute last resort as there are alot of high risks.anyway I got a copy of my mri and have been doing alot of research on it so I have a few questions written up to ask the neuro surgeon but I am still going to need a further mri of the cervical spine once I have that I will be going back to my chiropractor in Manchester I have a prolapse nerve problems on both sides of the l5 and some on the s1 and a few other bits and pieces

• Posted

Thanks for feedback.  To be honest when I had MRI done Inwas in hospital and quite drowsy due to increase in mess so didn't ask.  I dominated to discuss things in more detail when I meet with the neuro surgeon.  I went to a chiropractor however like the physiotherapist he said he wouldn't undertake treatment given the orthopedic surgeon has referred me to Neuro Surgeon.  I have been looking up the various types of surgery even watched some videos but decided there is so much conflicting information that I will wait to see what surgeon says. I'm hoping he may have alternative options to the surgery but if it's seen as the best option I feel I have to go with it as I cannot put up with this pain much longer.  I want to get back to being active and getting out walking and running as Indid before this all happened. 

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

How are you getting on? I live in the Highlands about two and a half hours from Glasgow. My hospital is Raigmore in Inverness which is a long treck ! I'm finding Pregabalin very good for the nerve pain but I still have little feeling in my foot. We are looking into buying an automatic car as I don't think I'll be able to drive again otherwise .

I'm waiting for my appointment with a spinal surgeon next week and hope that he'll be able to answer some of my questions and have some practical help. All my colleagues return to school next week and I'm so upset and disappointed that I won't be there for my lovelypupils, I miss my old life so much.

I have had to resign myself to thefact that I won't be returning full time until after Christmas. Fortunately my Headteacher has been really good and supportive, arranging a phased return and is understanding of my problems.

As a social worker you might have a similar supportsstructure. I've beenreferred to ooccupational health and they will measure me for an orthopedic chair that should help. This may be an option for you? I really feel for you and share your frustration with the system, I've made a formal complaint and will lety you know how I get on with that.

I received a letter saying they will investigate the waiting time for me to see the consultant as a 'high priority ' case, the way my appointment was cancelled at the last minute and why I was transferred by ambulance instead of helicopter as the surgeons requested. Honestly, I almost haven't got the energy for all this but I'm so angry! !

• Posted

Sorry don't know what happened there ! Anyway let me know how you're getting on, hope the pain isn't too unbearable. I'll update next week. smile
  • Posted

Hi Helen

my husband's late father came from Alness.  We often visited his family up there and in Invergordon. So I have a fair idea of the geography which must make you getting to appointments a nightmare.  The hospital I have been referred to is appropriately 45 mins by car but can take much longer during rush hour.

I am having a workstation assessment undertaken but unsure how long this will be done as its via Access to Work via DWP.   Typical of local authority as it saves them money.  I am going to start working from home as I can work on Adoption and Court Reports that I need to do.  This will allow me to stop/start for breaks.  I'm also going to look at an automatic car as no way I can drive a manual. 

Im plodding along and trying to keep mobile as the pain gets worse if Insut around. It can be hard going at times but do my best to get on with it.  I where your coming from re work and your "old life". The doctors just don't seem to get how much this impacts on our lives and why we are keen to be seen.  Infeelmthe system is wrong to say patients can't be referred for physio until they have suffered more than 6-8 weeks is shocking and to have to wait a further 6-8 weeks before you are seen by a consultant. 

I still have no idea when I will be given an appointment to see the Neuro Surgeon despite being an urgent referral.  I plan to telephone on Monday to see if the surgeon has reviewed the follow up letter from my orthopedic surgeon.  

Take ken care and let me know how you get on.  X 

• Posted

thanks Jackie ,Hope your coping ok. im still trying to keep mobile. Keep thinking there is someone sticking needles in a doll with my name on some were. Im still at work but am not looking forward to physio this week. Its endless rounds of physio and appts. Just waiting for a drs apoointmnt were il have my questions to ask

take care

heather

• Posted

Hi Heather

I have returned to work this week on a phased return. Also going to be working from home for a few months and have lots annual leave. So hoping once my phased return is up (8 weeks) I can then work a 2-3 day per week up until December. Hoping by then I have seen Neurosurgeon and get answers. I have a wee picture of a voodoo doll on my FB which I found amusing sadly I can't attach it to this message to give you a wee laugh.

I am trying to remain positive a I will not let this get me down. Like you I still feel like a voodoo doll.

Take care x

• Posted

Hi 

sorry it's the pest with another question..

has anyone experienced bruising at the bottom of their back around the area were the prolapsed disc is?

my husband noticed tonight that I have a very large deep bruise at the base of my back.  It is very tender. I had this a few months ago but not as big and it disappeared after a week.  I am worried that the bruising is back again and much bigger and darker.  I've tried checking if this is normal but can't see anything stating bruising occurs.

Im wondering what can be causing this. 

jackie

• Posted

Hi

Your not a pest

If I were you I would get it checked out by a doctor straight away it could well be a haemgomina if I have spelt that right it was spotted on my recent mri look up haemgomina on L5 vertebrate it's not a birthmark but a build up of blood vessels from what I could understand and they can leak or something like that if so it would need drainage or something

Not to scare you but just get it checked out

• Posted

Hi

thiught Inwould provide an update.

I was seen by Mr Barrett at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital (also known as the New Southern General) in Glagow.  He undertook an assessment, checked me over and then we discussed my MRI scan which clearly shows the problem.  Having discussed the pros and cons of surgery in detail Inhave decided to have the surgery done.  He was really good and the appointment wasn't rushed. 

Mr Barrett stated he has preformed this type if surgery on a number of occasions with the success rate being very good.  He said I could wait and see if there is any improvement, however, stated given the length of time I have had the problem he could not say when it would improve and recommended the surgery.   I have waited a few days to explor my options but think I need to go for the surgery as really can't put up with the pain much longer.

He is hopeful I will be in within the next 6 Weeks which is great as my husband In are going to the Caribbean on 1st January. 

Hope we you guys are also making progress.  

Jackie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.