Prolapsed disc L5S1 Pain unbearable

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi

I have had sciatica for 4-5 months and pain has been awful. Numb down leg and foot (left side). I have no ankle reflex and now lost some sensation in genital area and bottom. I was admitted to hospital last week and had MRI scan which shows prolapsed disc, however was advised I did not need emergency surgery as I haven't lost control of my bladder/bowel.  I have been referred to Neurologist at the New Glasgow Super Hospital. I was told I will need surgery. Not sure how long I will wait for an appointment. Iam releieved in one hand that I have answer re sciatica pain as physio and pain killers not helping but on other hand scared re prospect of surgery.  Looking for advice re what it will entail and recovery period.  I don't know how much longer I can put up with the pain.  I've been off work 3 months and want to get back. I am a social worker and spend a lot of time typing lenghty reports, attending meetings, driving and visits so not sure how feasible getting back is. 

Jackie 

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone

I thought I would provide an update. 

I am delighted to say that I have had my surgery.  I can't believe how quickly it all happened. I waited 7 weeks to see my consultant following my MRI Scan in July 2015.  I met with my surgeon Mr Barrett at the Southern General hospital in Glasgow on 15/9/15 and we agreed surgery was my best option.  He advised that he would do his best to fit me in within 6-8 weeks as he was aware I was going on a Cruise on 1st January.  To my surprise I Received a telephone call from his secretary on 16 September asking if I could come in on 17 September and that the surgery would be done on 18 September.  (Was advised Some theatres that had been closed for a couple of weeks had re-opened). 

I underwent my surgery on the Friday and Iam glad to say on my return from theatre I could feel my toes.  I was sore from the surgery but felt reasonably well.  I did require a catheter to be fitted later that night as I lost control,of my bladder and then was retaining urine.  Thankfully the catheter was removed late into the Sunday evening. It would appear it was due to the anaesthetic. I was discharged on Monday and although Iam feeling a bit sore around my wound and getting the odd pins and needles I feel great.  Mr Barrett advised he was glad he got me in when he did as the  nerve was badly inflamed and was about to pop which could have left me with serious complications.  It would appear my prolapse had got worse since my MRI SCan. 

I can't thank Mr Barrett enough for undertaking the surgery as quick as he did. I'm realise I was extremely lucky and fortunate that a place in theatre became available as quick as it did. I did say at my consultation that I would come in at short notice, hence why I got the call.  So maybe something to bare in mind at appointments.  

Feeling positive and hoping I can return to work in 4-6 weeks.m

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

That's great news that you've been seen so promptly and that the surgery sounds successful, it must be a huge relief. I am curretly waiting for a nerve root block injection (looks like a 6-7 month waiting list) as they are doing it as a diagnostic tool to check if it is the sciatic nerve that is being compressed. Bit of a waste of time really as my Osteopath asked me to put my finger on where the pain starts, and it is on my sciatic nerve. He can't go near that area or I jump through the roof lol!

I have been seen by the chronic pain team and they have to wait until all procedures have been done in order to deal with me, so looking at 10 months time from August. I can't stand all the waiting so am concentrating on getting back to work in order to retain some of my sanity. Unfortunately teaching is a full on job and difficult to do when you're physically compromised.

We have bought an automatic car with a higher up seating position which is sooo comfortable. It has given me back a bit of my freedom to be able to drive. I'm looking into getting a blue badge too. So I'm continuing the slow road to recovery, the Pregabalin is working and the side effects have reduced.

Keep me posted as to your progress, I'd be interested to hear how your back and foot are. Good luck with your recovery!

All the best,

Helenxx 

• Posted

Hi Jackie

Surgery is daunting but not to be scared of. Microdiscectomy is a routine procedure and it has a high succes rate. Don't read the boards to see if it works or not. Places like this are mainly populated by people who had problems, and is not representative. 

My L5S1 job was successful, It took some serious sabotage on my part to create any problems for me (far too much exercise too soon). So long as you watch yourself and do as your doctor and physio says, the stats say you should get good results. All cases are different of course, but if you are going to have surgery then don't wait too long as the nerves don't do well long term if they are under pressure for ages. 

Re the recovery period, from what I have seen this really varies, I was pain free after week 2 or so but I think that was unusually good. Most of my problem pre op was muscle weakness in my calf. That also got better after the op but plateaued after about 8 weeks. I think generally you should expect the process to take 3-6 months depending on your prior condition, your op and the success of your physio and behaviour after the op.

Dont plan to be sitting at a desk for at least 6 weeks and even then expect to take lots of breaks and very frequent. I found standing at a desk worked well.

Good luck.

• Posted

You shouldn't have to wait that long for surgery. It's wrong. 

• Posted

hi jackie hope you are doing fine.may i request you to share how surgery helped you.i had my surgery 16 years back and again am suffering from same symptoms. please share if surgery has helped you to get back to active life and doctors are confident of no repeat of same disc prolapse ever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.