Prolapsed uterus

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello, ive joined this group in the hope of some advice, i have noticed a 'bulge' in my lower region, made an appoinment with the gp who was very unsympathetic, she told me i was really at the wrong place (possibly because i made an emergency appointment?) wasnt sure what else to do, she asked me if i wanted her to examine me? to which i replied yes, when she did it hurt very much even after having children, she said i had a prolapsed uterus but to do some pelvic floor excercises, as a gynae would say the same and to go back in 4 weeks, she made it seem like its very mild, it is however lying along the floor of my vagina (is the only way to describe it) there is also some of it bulging out, i can feel my coil strings when i wipe. I feel like i have just 'been left' and am very distressed about the whole thing. i cant see that pve would help when it seems my muscles must have already gone? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

That sounds awful. Try not to worry (easier said than done I know, I was petrified at the time. ) but make it a priority to see a gynaecologist, don't wait 4 weeks. I was told by my GP that I had a prolapsed uterus when it was in fact my bladder that was bulging. A good consultant should know straight away when he examines you and he or she will let you know how severe the prolapse is and what the options are. So many people have had the surgery and haven't looked back Hx
  • Posted

I went through almost a year of colo rectal procedures...not nice,before I finally saw a gynaecologist,this was almost 5 years after my first visit to my GP with my concerns about the  bulge I could feel down below sad
  • Posted

Its not just me that crys over it then? i thought i was just being silly, but i now dont feel normal anymore at 39 x
  • Posted

Thanks for reply Hayley, some have told me to go a&e after doctors response, but i dont think they woud see me, im sure this is my uterus as my coil strings are hanging down (sorry if tmi) but i feel like my bladder is never fully empty, so wondering if its both x
  • Posted

Thank you so much for replies, slounds terrible rosieod1 what you went through, im not sure how i could cope with that, ive already took the week off of work this week as im feeling so low, luckily enough my managers were very sympathetic x
  • Posted

It was and still is,have had a really bad flu/cold virus for the past 6 weeks,been coughing my lungs up or so it feels and am sure something else has dropped down,going to hospital next week for post op check up,only 18 and a half weeks after,will see what they say x
    • Posted

Oh i hope it hasnt, so long after too :-( I had a cough too, which gp said is to do with prolapse, along with my job of working with children, her advice... take some cough medicine and dont lift lol x
    • Posted

Well that sounds helpful..not... lol xx You take care lady and catch up on fb xx

• Posted

Yes as if my cough stopping and some pve are going to pull my uterus back up again lol. Will post update when I have one, thank you for talking x
    • Posted

Hi ladies

You poor things I do sympathise! It was a bad cough ( flu) 3 months ago that caused my VP I was told 25-30 years ago I had prolapse womb - it was no bother at all even had baby no 4 at 31 years! But this is bloody awful I can't walk far and by 1pm I have to sit! I'm going to get so fat if I don't get this fixed ASAP! I can't live my life or carry on with plans. I'm totally devastated. sad

• Posted

Hi, This all sounds horrendous for you. I'm so glad you've now got another appointment. I would absolutely insist on beinbg referred to see a gynaecologist. When I first went I was referred for physio to show me how to do pelvic floor exercises properly, it was only when the physiotherapist examined me that she said no way should I be doing the exercises at that time as it was actually doing me more harm than good as my bowel was so far prolapsed into my vagina (hence the bulge). I was then referred back to the gynae who then referred me on to a Professor in Urogyaenocology in another hospital. I'm nearly 7 weeks post op now after a long wait for surgery and hey it's not been easy this recovery which is another thing they don't explain but at least now I can empty my bowels and the huge bulge is mostly gone although I do appear to have a smaller one on another area.

You really must insist that they do something, you know your own body and things aren't right. You are only a young woman and you need this sorting out.

I sometimes think they don't realise just how much it affects your life, thankfully my husband is amazing and so understanding but it's such a difficult thing to put up with.

Please keep us up to date on how you get on.

Take care x

• Posted

hi me

Poor you! This all sounds awful. My GP and consultant both agreed that I didnt need a hysterectomy as I was still having a healthy sex life at 54 and needed those parts (not sure why exactly) but that's absolutely not the only option!

Now you'll need to get into the gynaecological dept through a good doctor that doesn't drag their knuckles on the ground.

When I read up on what procedures were available I was pretty convinced I'd be given a hysterectomy but when the consultant saw me he laughed. 'Madam that approach is bit old hat these days' he said 'we've lots of different options at targeting the place that needs the work directly. We're much more efficient than that now'.

So it seems you have seen someone with very little insight into the opins. And I can assure you that mine wasn't as bad as most people's but my surgeon insisted that I should have a much better quality of life and no pain during sex. They were very reassuring and not a bit worried about the cost.

Good luck with your adventure, and by the way, it's all worth it, and we're here to cheer you up post op!

Big hug x

• Posted

Thank you so much ladies, all very reassuring. I have managed to get an appointment tomorrow, I have also kept original appointment for next Tuesday too in case I don't get far tomorrow, that way I would've seen three different doctors so hopefully one will be sympathetic enough x
    • Posted

That's good. So pleased you got an appointment, be strong and don't let them fob you off. Let us know how you get on. Good luck X
  • Posted

I feel for you! What happened in the end? I hope you are ok.

I just been diagnosed with V prolapse I'm worried sick. I've had Tvt op 4.5 years ago so font want to mess with that which is very near the Gyno areas !

I'm depressed because of this because I'm a very active person. sad(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.