Prolia shots

Posted , 14 users are following.

Just got back from my Doctor and he wants me to start Prolia shots for my Osteoporosis. My test show 2.5 in my back and 1.5 in my hip bones. 10% chance of a hip fracture in the next 10 years and 24% chance of a fracture in my back in the next 10 years. These test were 3 months ago and since then I have been nordic walking at least 5000 steps daily and getting 1200mg of calcium daily and 5000 vit. D.

I do not want to take the Prolia shots. If I stay true to the plan I am on, can I lower my score?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have very similar readings - and nothing would induce me to accept Prolia at present. It has now been established that if you are on Prolia/denosumab it must be continued for a long time or substituted by AA as there can be a sort of rebound effect leading to mutliple vertebral fractures:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28789921

I can't find links to the work that are in simple language I'm afraid but this BMJ link 

http://ard.bmj.com/content/75/Suppl_2/359.2?utm_source=trend_md&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=All_Journals&utm_content=Journals_2018_TrendMD&utm_term=Americas

emphasises "It is urgent to: 1) inform the health authorities and patients of this risk; 2) determine treatment regimens before or at the time of denosumab discontinuation."

To say you have osteoporosis is putting it on a bit heavy! Your spinal readings are a bit low yes, the hip one is about normal for our age. With those reading does your doctor REALLY want to put you onto a drug you will be forced to stick with for life?

I would say thank you but no thank you and take advice on exercise, diet and supplements from Anhaga on this forum. And say that if that doesn't achieve an acceptable result in 1 or 2 years, you will reconsider. That doesn't mean you will change your mind of course...

• Posted

Thank you so much Eileen. I respect your opinion. I will not take Prolia.
  • Posted

Please don't agree to start Prolia.  If you google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey you'll find my experience.  Of course one is always learning so there's stuff I know now that I didn't know when I started out.  But even then I read how dangerous Prolia (denosumab) is and now that information has reached the mainstream.  

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/denosumab-problems-622841

I agree with Eileen that you can manage without the drugs for a couple of years and see how it goes.  I improved my t-score from -2 to -1.6 in a year, despite being on pred.  I know of a man who had osteoporosis, some quite severe, and he also moved all his readings into the osteopenia range.  There are others who have been successful.  It's a lifelong change of lifestyle, but not arduous.  And to my mind far preferable to having to take a medication which comes with the possibility of serious side effects which are counterproductive to the purpose for which you are taking the drug in the first place.

• Posted

I thank all of you for your experienced information. I will do as you all suggest and try to improve my T score by diet and excercise. Thanks so much, I did not want to take Prolia.
    • Posted

We look forward to learning how things go for you.  One thing I haven't mentioned.  It is wise to get some guidance about ways to protect the spine.  If you have access to an experienced physiotherapist, or maybe there's a program offered at your local hospital, you can get tips and demonstrations how to keep your spine healthy, how to avoid the movements which can cause injury.  There is info on the internet of course, but it's always better if you can learn this in person.  The key think, I think, is to avoid forward bends.  If you have to retrieve something from the floor, or feed a pet, for example, pretend you are sitting down.  This helps you bend your knees without stressing them and enables you to get low down without bending forward.  If you have to unpack groceries, place the bag on a chair so you don't need to either bend (when bag is on the floor) or stretch (when on the counter) when taking things out of the bag.  

• Posted

Anhaga, one of the best bits of advice came from you and it was regarding bending over, or should I say “folding” over, like a table. Remember the video? I can’t seem to find it  now but after watching it and with practice  I have become a great “folder”. 👍

• Posted

Thanks, I really respect your advice and I will keep all of you updated on my fight with PMR and osteoporosis. Thank you so much.
    • Posted

You should be able to find it on the healthunlocked site.  If you sign up to that forum join the Bone Health community and look for posts by Kaarina.  This is the person who posted the video which I then shared.
    • Posted

THanks Anhaga, I’ll do that. I’m already a member of Healthunlocked so I’ll do a search. 👍

• Posted

Hope you found it.  The post is called: Lost art of bending over - how other cultures spare their spines
    • Posted

Hi Bella, 

I posted the link to a wonderful article Anhaga found for us but I think it may be deleted as I remember we arent supposed to do that. However if you google '"Lost art of bending over - how other cultures spare their spines"" you'll find an excellent little video attached with a lady '"folding like a table. I have now perfected this, its so much better for your spine. Best of luck in your journey. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.