Propranalol DOES make you gain weight?

Posted , 19 users are following.

I was just wondering if anyone else was thinking the same as me re: weight gain and propranalol. Apparently they do not decrease your metabolism and cause weight gain. Well - do you know what - I just don't believe it!

My experience is that before I took these meds I had quite a lot of energy, not all good energy, anxious and nervy energy with adrenalin rushes of various intensities in the day and night - but also good energy.

Since starting them, my heart rate is slower - surely lower metabolism then? Plus less calories burnt because less adrenalin rushes, fewer heart beats, fewer shakes, more time sleeping and being inactive? Overall I am more tired although I am not doing less in the day, but my body is not reacting in the same way, its slower somehow- so yes my weight is increasing - not my appetite.

So I guess really I should be burning more calories by exercising more OR eating less? I really don't believe it when doctors/drug companies say it will not make you put on weight. I am slim but am becoming more soft and podgy around the middle which I don't like.

How do we keep the weight off? Have I answered my own question? Has anyone successfully managed to manage their weight whilst on them?How?

thanks

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am interested how things are going with the weight gain because my 14 year old daughter has been on Propranolol, for her migraines, for 4 months and when her weight was checked a couple of weeks ago she had put on 6.3kg in 6 weeks. We're not sure if this down to her heart being repaired in October last year or her hormones or the meds. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks.
  • Posted

My 14 year old daughter has been taken propranolol 90 mg per day for 5 weeks now. We started with 30 mg a day, after two weeks increased tot 60 mg and 2 weeks later to 90 mg. She has used other medicines from which she had severe weight gain (pizotifeen). But no weight gain from propranolol. The migraine has reduced from 25 days per month to 12 this month, which is for us very good, Two weeks from now we may increase the propranolol tot 120 mg a day, hoping the migraine will drop more. Everytime we increase the propranolol, she is suffering from side effects, like disturbed sleeping pattern, cold feet, dizzyness when getting up, but those side effects disappeared after a while.
  • Posted

Thanks for that info Carol. Lucy was also on Pizotifen until recently, perhaps this was to blame for the weight gain then instead of the Propanonol? Since I posted they have taken her off the Pizotifen and doubled her Propranolol so hopefully her migraines and weight gain will improve. Thanks again.
  • Posted

I'm really interested in this discussion. I've been on Pizotifen for the last two years. When I first started I was so tired and lethargic. Eventually I became accustomed and my dose was doubled. In that time I have gained a large amount of weight. I have recently stopped the Pizotifen and been prescribed Topiramate for my migraines but it was a nightmare. I've been so restless during the night, sleepwalking, shouting and grinding my teeth. I've also had the emotional instability of a teenager. It hasn't been a pleasant sight and I feel for my other half. Doctors have tried putting me back on Pizotifen as that is the easy option but the weight gain really bothers me. So today is day one of Propranolol! Hopefully my weight will stabilise from here.
  • Posted

Lucy has now been on just propranolol since the beginning of July and her weight seems to have stabilised very quickly. Her migraines also seem much better so I'm hoping things are improving all round. The only thing it's not changed is her sleep pattern, she has always been a bad sleeper and this hasn't improved things a all. Hope h helps you.
  • Posted

My daughter decided not to increase the propranolol yet. She is now getting migraine, once a week and the migraine is lasting shorter.

Also we have succesfully attacked the sleeping problem with a large doses of melatomine. Before it did'nt work at all, but I've read that for people with migraine only a dosis of 6-10 mg is helping. So she first tried 5 mg (no effect) and later 7,5 mg and she has slept like she has never slept before!!!!!!!. So Nicola171 perhaps this might also be the case for Lucy.

We have also tried a pain medicine, (saridon, is the dutch name, don't know if it has the same name in the UK. And for the first time it helped to decrease the migraine a bit. I've heard someone telling that he used propranolol and this medicin was the only that helped him with acute pain relief.

Saridon consists of paracetamol, caffeine and propyfenazon. She swallows 2 tablets and with a max of 2 times a week (due to the risk of getting more headache).

As I'm writing this I hope the decrease in migraine is due to medication and not because of the really nice wheather,

• Posted

Hi ... It's a shame but I'm inclined to agree that propranolol encourages weight gain and an extremely bloated stomach. I'm putting on an average of just under half a pound a day ... That's a lot very fast. I'm gutted as I've never felt so calm in such a long time but I also feel very tired and lethargic but I'm guessing that's supposed to happen. I'm going to halve my dose to just one tablet in the morning and nothing in afternoon and get back on my bike to see if I can stay slim and calm at the same time. I'll keep people posted
    • Posted

hi there thank goodness i saw all your replies i was baffelled with the weight gain .. i have been on 10 mg of proranolol for about 8 months now and at the same time statins... well here i am 60 lbs heavier from a tiny framed 130 lb women to a wopping 178 lbs !!! and i am only 5 foot 1 inches tall... after seeing the doc today he has taken me off the statins i forgot to mention the propranolol but i want off that as well... so i guess i will cut 10 mg to 5mg morning and night for a two weeks then 5mg morning only for two weeks then none ? i dont know how to tapper off all i know is these pharmacutical drugs are no good period MAY HELP WITH ONE THING AND THEN CAUSES A WHOLE LOT OF OTHERS

• Posted

Spaghetti 77 I am having the same problem as you with Propranolol. I have always been slim but since taking this medication for the past few months I have put weight on round my middle
  • Posted

Hi everyone from down here in Florida. This chat has me really interested. I started Propranonol about 4 yrs ago and it was like a miracle for me. I thought for years, well, most of my life that I was dying. Finally a PA at my cardiologist put me on and with in the first day I was a new person. I have always been skinny all my life and about 4 yrs ago I stared to gain weight. Then I was about 132 and now 152 pounds. That is a lot for me. They always say you gain weight after your last child and we just adopted a 12 yr old so I told myself that was the reason. LOL For the last 2 yrs I have really been trying hard. Exercising, eating right, etc but with no success. I honestly have thought about stopping my meds but will contact Dr. first. Or maybe even lowering my dose. Right now I take 40 mg a day. And all my weight gain is around the middle. Don't like it at all!

• Posted

I forgot to say that the medication has not made feel bad, it has made me feel like I have more energy. I can exercise now where as before my heart would beat out of control. If I miss a dose I become tired and notice my heart over working. So it is doing its job, its just the weight gain that cant be healthy.

• Posted

I have been on propranolol now for three months. The medication did the trick and has stopped me having panic attacks. I put on a stone and a half on in the first eight weeks I was devastated as I have always maintained my weight. I wasn’t eating any more than I was before. I started going for long walks and counting the calories. After four weeks and really watching what I was eating I have lost 8lb.
  • Posted

Hi Jen

I started on 40mg a day i then cut down to 30mg for a week then down to 20mg my GP has told me to stick with 20mg if i am ok with it. It has not made a difference in heart rate and is still keeping away those awful panic attacks away. I don't know if it has made a difference but the weight is coming off. I'm 5ft 4lb and weighed 9st 6lb when I started taking them. within 8 weeks I was 10st 12lb. After sticking to a calorie controlled diet its paying off. I now weigh 10st 4lb. I still have a long way to go but im getting there.

• Posted

I have been on Propranolol for about two years now. I've had horrendous migraines since I was about 14 But never did anything about it until then. I must admit they are brilliant and have almost completely stopped my migraines. I've probably only had 4 or so in those two years...

I have found though; That they did make me put on a lot of weight. I've always been really fussy with food so I haven't ever really changed what I eat, and I do eat a lot of healthy foods So it can't be that. Two stone in two Years haa to be down to something... rolleyes

• Posted

I'm grateful for forums such as these as since I was prescribed Propanolol for migraine prevention 4 months ago I've gained almost 1 1/2 stones in weight. Like others have reported the weight is all round my middle....like I'm bloated all the time. My usual fitted clothes don't fit any longer.

I'm normally fairly slim build at 9 1/2 st at 62 yrs old. Usually I'm active with plenty of energy for work and enjoying life. Since taking this migraine prevention medication I find myself tired all the time and what can only be described as feeling 'sluggish'. I hate feeling like this....just not me.

My migraines yes have hugely reduced which is great. Previously I was taking (still do sometimes) Naratriptan. That too works well but of course isn't a preventative. My GP suggested the change. Is it a cost thing to the surgery? Cynical I know but has to be considered. Internet research shows triptan drugs to be much more costly than the beta blockers. I will be going back to my GP to ask for reduction or abstinence of Propanolol. I can't live with this awful extra weight and no energy.

Will update this post. Thanks to others who have posted various experiences. Clearly works for some. Maggie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.