Propranalol DOES make you gain weight?

Posted , 19 users are following.

I was just wondering if anyone else was thinking the same as me re: weight gain and propranalol. Apparently they do not decrease your metabolism and cause weight gain. Well - do you know what - I just don't believe it!

My experience is that before I took these meds I had quite a lot of energy, not all good energy, anxious and nervy energy with adrenalin rushes of various intensities in the day and night - but also good energy.

Since starting them, my heart rate is slower - surely lower metabolism then? Plus less calories burnt because less adrenalin rushes, fewer heart beats, fewer shakes, more time sleeping and being inactive? Overall I am more tired although I am not doing less in the day, but my body is not reacting in the same way, its slower somehow- so yes my weight is increasing - not my appetite.

So I guess really I should be burning more calories by exercising more OR eating less? I really don't believe it when doctors/drug companies say it will not make you put on weight. I am slim but am becoming more soft and podgy around the middle which I don't like.

How do we keep the weight off? Have I answered my own question? Has anyone successfully managed to manage their weight whilst on them?How?

thanks

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

OKay I take these for anxiety 40mg a day ive been on them for 7 years. Now this is a question ive been looking for. 

I have been working for about 23 years. I wanted to reduce some of the size i gained by reducing heavy weights and more CV. Over th elast 2 years i have toned up but cannot lose the weight. This is because the tablets slow the heart down to around 60 bpm and during a workout i cant get no higher than say 100-103. We need to be avwerging about 120+ to burn the cals. MY GP has had me for my weight (even though its mainly muscle) but i cant lose it because of the tablets!! No win, no lose situation!

• Posted

MY GP JUST TOOOK ME OFF STATINS AND NOW the propranolol i was only taking 10mg twice a day so the decrease is 5mg for one month twice a day then 5 mg only in the morning for two weeks then off ...long tapper but better safe than sorry ...i might have to go back on statins after blood work ( next week ) even diabetes testing and thyroid glucose ( you all know the drill ) i am sure all this weight over 9 months to 11 months has been the combination of both medications together ..we will see i will keep you all posted

oh and just so your aware i am 5 foot 1 inches in height and now weighing in at 178 lbs in width

before the meds 5 foot 1 inches 126 lbs ( makes yah go hmmmm ?)

• Posted

I have been on these tablets since October 2015 and I've put on over a stone in weight. I'm lethargic, not sleeping well and feeling a it depressed to.

I started taking them for migraines and they've worked brilliantly, I haven't had a migraine since, however the extra weight especially around my middle and the lack of energy isn't worth taking this tablet for.

im heading to the doctors soon to get taken off them.

• Posted

OK all you happy-but-gaining-weighters out there.The answer is so simple-EAT LESS. Iv'e been on a strict diet regime since Jan 1st and this weekend noticed a definite weight loss.I don't possess a pair of bathroom scales, just monitor how tight my waistline feels.Propanolol is the WONDER DRUG for anxiety as most of you  testify.You CAN be slim if you have the willpower.Exercise is not the key to weight loss, it's EATING LESS!! Happy dieting, William
    • Posted

That's great for you william, you certainly seem to have everything going well and I agree that the tablets do work wonders and for me it's migraines.

However for me and clearly others on this forum it's a different story. I have religiously followed a well known eating plan designed for weight loss since 1st Jan 16. I do have willpower and have eaten a lot less but unfortunately I have GAINED weight, not lost any!!

The tablets are definitely working for the migraines however my concern is the side effects I've experienced and the withdrawal that you apparently go through coming off them. It's great that they work for you and your situation however I personally don't want to be reliant on these pills.

• Posted

OMG, yes! I didn't realize how much weight I was gaining, even though I was walking the dog all the time. Even hiking. But, if I had to choose between fitting into my jeans or being completely manic, I prefer to feel calm. Now that I started a new, sh*tty job, the weight is slowly coming off, but I hope to get back in my jeans by summer. But, my mental health has to come first, so I can be contributing to society. Not a great choice to have to make.
  • Posted

Hi Lynne, skip the"well known eating plan" and devise your own.I can give you pointers if you wish."Well known eating plans" are the result of clever marketing, nothing more. Cheers, William.
  • Posted

Well I have definitely put weight on round my middle since taking 80mg slow release Propranolol for the last six months for anxiety. I am normally quite slim so this is a bit of a shock to me as I certainly haven't been eating more. Really annoying as the meds have helped my agitation and I am loathe to give them up. They obviously do slow the metabolism despite there being no real medical evidence to prove it. Guess I will have to try to exercise more, but not easy with ME/FM

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.