propranolol and menstrual cycle

Posted , 33 users are following.

I was on propranolol for over a year. After being on it for 2 mths at a high dose 120mg- I felt like something was changing. I went off the birth control pill- and low & behold- my period stopped! Completely- no slow taper- nothing! I was thrown quickly into a menopausal state and felt crazy! I am only 45 yrs- so STRANGE! I had also gained an unusual amount of weight throughout my middle- over 20 lbs!

I few other things happened- and I decided to ween myself off it. (You MUST do this or you will have withdrawal symptoms! !) When I got down to 10mg- my periods came back!! So weird! Definitely link I feel! ! I have weaned myself off completely. I feel doctors aren't forthcoming or do not know enough about all the side effects from this drug!

Think twice before going on...try low dosage first at the very least!

Anyone else stop their monthly cycles on this medicine? ?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am so relieved to have found this thread!!! I’ve started this medication again about a week ago (been on it twice before, don’t remember having this side effect), and straight away my discharge was brown which I knew meant I was bleeding a little bit. I often get brown discharge when I ovulate, and the week it started did coincide with my usual cycle and ovulating (a bit early but not by too much). However, this brown discharge has been getting darker and darker, so it’s now black and very heavy. Not enough to be using a menstrual cup but definitely enough that I should realistically be using a type of menstrual liner.

So it’s now been a week of being on the medication and this very thick/clumpy and very dark discharge has now become a proper bleed, but still very thick in consistency and dark (just now a very dark red instead of dark brown/black). My period is usually the very end of the month, so for it have effectively started almost a week ago as a minor bleed and continue to the point it is now enough a notable bleed that I need to be using my menstrual cup for is concerning!

I have the copper coil (IUD) and have had it for a year. Since having it I’ve have regular periods, and often a bit of brown discharge during ovulation. It’s been stressing me out a lot as to why I’ve been having such heavy, dark discharge for over a week that showed no signs of easing, and it only hit me today that I started these tablets at the same time! And now it’s turned into the start of an actual bleed, reading this forum has really helped so at least now I have a very likely explanation.

Not sure whether I’ll be staying on these tablets as they’re supposed to be helping my chronic headaches, and have helped in the past, but don’t seem to be this time. But if I do stay on them with an increased dosage, fingers crossed it’ll stop messing up my menstrual cycle. Very stressful!!!

• Posted

I am so relieved to have found this thread!!! I’ve started this medication again about a week ago (been on it twice before, don’t remember having this side effect), and straight away my discharge was brown which I knew meant I was bleeding a little bit. I often get brown discharge when I ovulate, and the week it started did coincide with my usual cycle and ovulating (a bit early but not by too much). However, this brown discharge has been getting darker and darker, so it’s now black and very heavy. Not enough to be using a menstrual cup but definitely enough that I should realistically be using a type of menstrual liner.

So it’s now been a week of being on the medication and this very thick/clumpy and very dark discharge has now become a proper bleed, but still very thick in consistency and dark (just now a very dark red instead of dark brown/black). My period is usually the very end of the month, so for it have effectively started almost a week ago as a minor bleed and continue to the point it is now enough a notable bleed that I need to be using my menstrual cup for is concerning!

I have the copper coil (IUD) and have had it for a year. Since having it I’ve have regular periods, and often a bit of brown discharge during ovulation. It’s been stressing me out a lot as to why I’ve been having such heavy, dark discharge for over a week that showed no signs of easing, and it only hit me today that I started these tablets at the same time! And now it’s turned into the start of an actual bleed, reading this forum has really helped so at least now I have a very likely explanation.

Not sure whether I’ll be staying on these tablets as they’re supposed to be helping my chronic headaches, and have helped in the past, but don’t seem to be this time. But if I do stay on them with an increased dosage, fingers crossed it’ll stop messing up my menstrual cycle. Very stressful!!!

• Posted

Hi! I recently got diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia so i started propranolol to slow my heart rate instead of for migraines like most people. I started with 10mg three times a day and it make me sick so I stopped after about 5 days and just came back on it at 10mg twice a day instead after about a week and a half. I take a birth control pill called Natazia for Endometriosis and Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Thanks to the birth control I have normal regular periods but I havent bled at all. This should be be day 4 of my period and nothing. Its also day 4 of me taking the lower dose. I took a pregnancy test just in case and it came back negative. I truly believe the Propranolol is the reason for it. I talk to my cardiologist in the morning so Ill leave an update if she says this is a side effect.

• Posted

I am so glad to have found this. There is absolutely nothing on the internet to explain my period-no-show this month.

my periods are pretty regular and i have been on propranolol 10mg for over a month now.

I have weaned myself of it completely now. How soon dos your periods come back after stopping propranolol? Or did you miss the cycle completely and the next one came at the usual date? I am going bonkers for my missed period. I want it so badly. (I am not pregnant)

It would be really helpful of you respond 😊😊

• Posted

Hi! I have been on 10mg twice a day for about 4 weeks now for migraines (to gradually increase if it agrees with me). I've just come on my period today 10 days late and its absolutely excrutiating!! I'm 30 years old and havent had period pain like this since i was in my teens, it comes in waves like labour contractions! it's also similar to what everyone else is describing, a very dark brown colour and not very much of it!

I'm blaming this medication as i've had other unpleasant side effects since being on them! i want to come off them but dont know how to ween off & it's literally impossible to get through to my doctor at the minute!

• Edited

I am so glad I found this thread.

I stopped taking birth control 3 weeks ago and

In 2016, I started experiencing migraines and was on propanolol 20mg, once a day for a month. The migraines became very rare until 2 years ago when I started getting them when I got my period. Last year they became very frequent (weekly) and I saw my neurologist again who put me back on propanolol 20mg but twice a day for 6 weeks. During that time I had a very very heavy period but thought nothing of it.

The propranolol certainly helped with the migraines and the dr. put me on it for 6 more months and advised that I stop the birth control.

It's been 4 weeks since I have stopped the birth control, which I have replaced with an IUD. While spotting is expected in these situations, I have suspected the propranolol makes me spot heavier and makes my period heavier as well. I am noticing no spotting when I skip my dose and bleeding soon after I take the dose! I will continue to monitor but most of the posts here speak to the medication stopping your period.

I am experiencing the dark brown blood and excruciating cramps others have mentioned but I also had these kind of cramps prior to starting the birth control.

• Posted

Hi there, I am so relieved to find this post trail! I was prescribed 40mg of Propanolol to be taken twice a day before meals, in order to combat cluster migraines. I read through the various side effects but as I was so eager to pain free, I was sold!

Fast forward 2 months later. I am clotting with horrendous looking discharge. My periods (usually very heavy and irregular), have stopped! My last period was March this year! I have skipped months before, but not this long/with such heavy discharge.

I have done some research and it could be that the migraines might have been a hormonal trigger in an attempt to level out my hormones to ensure ovulation started. Sadly I am also overweight with a love of chocolate. The last time I had any chocolate I had two migraines one after the other! So it is hard to determine which is the main catalyst at times.

I ran out a few weeks back and had palpatations and a tight chest, my anxiety went through the roof. I requested for another prescription as (for all these weird faults), it has stopped my migraines almost perfectly. In the brief walk to and from the chemist, I actually had a brief albeit light period. This lasted a day before it stopped as I took a pill in the evening.

At no point did my Dr warn me about these changes, and reading your comments this is the first time I have heard of addictions stemming from going cold turkey! I am very concerned with what this drug is doing to my 32 year old body, but nothing else has come close to tackling my migraines so well!

• Posted

Im so glad I found this! 45yr old F. I had to stop taking Propranolol recently after 2 months use, 20mg 2x daily as I basically had a non stop period for going on 25 days now, lighter bleeding , my normal period is very heavy. The major problem with this is with my period I get horrible migraines so again basically 25 days of migraines so far. Everyone keeps telling me these are supposed to help but in my case made my migraines worse. I was on it originally for high blood pressure. How is it possible that studies state "no effect on menstrual cycle"? was the study only men? It cleary has major effects.

• Posted

I just started taking this last month. I got my period 10 days after i started taking the medication and I am currently on day 27 of bleeding with no stop. Sometimes i fill an entire pad in an hour, sometimes it a bunch of clots, sometimes its dark brown. It all over the place. I am sick of it.

I reached out to my Dr if they are side effects, but of course the medication does not list it, so no hopes there.

• Posted

I was also curious about this effect of propranolol, but there was no mention in the information leaflet of any side effects on menstrual cycle. I was recently prescribed Propranolol for migraines, which for me (29 years) does seem to be working. the first month I took 40mg twice a day and I saw a reduction in the frequency/severity of my migraines. however my period was late that month, my cycle has never been regular but my cycle was 37 days that month which is 4 days longer than its ever been. When I did get my period I also noticed that the blood was thicker than usual. This is my second month taking propranolol and this period is later than usual too, I'm on day 36 of my cycle and my period hasn't started. Although I did have a couple days mid cycle spotting where my discharge was brown. I did change doses this month, went up to 80mg for a week and a half but had to reduce again to 40mg because I was getting very lightheaded and dizzy on the higher dose, so I'm now concerned what effect the changes will have on my cycle. I haven't raised this effect on my cycle with my Dr yet, but will bring it up on my next review of the medication.

• Posted

I had a very similar situation with this medication. I was prescribed it for migraines and not long after taking it my period stopped and I saw brown discharge. I used to be very regular, with no issues. After a couple months I had a period, but it was slightly longer than normal with very heavy bleeding. Then a couple months again with brown discharge in-between heavy, abnormal periods. Then I can off of the medication and had no period again for a couple months, but when my period returned this time it has lasted over 30 days! During my "normal" cycle the bleeding was heavy, but in-between is lighter. I have an appointment with the dr to discuss, but has this happened to anyone else when they came off the medication fully? Its been 6 months now since i last took the medication.

• Posted

Hello, I am only 21 years old and i was put on a low dose of this medicince to stop / prevent my migraines. I have stopped my birth control and the only other medicine I take is an iron supplement. Im working on month three with no period and ive even gone about and took several pregnancy tests just to make sure it wasnt that and it comes up negative every time.

• Posted

did u have really heavy bleeding when came off i wean my self off now my periods are awful gone back on them

• Posted

Really glad to have found this thread! I was initially put on 50 mg of Metoprolol once a day. I immediately started having adverse side effects, the scariest being increased heart palpitations as well as dizziness. I was put on this medication for anxiety mainly, I am 32 years old. The doctor felt it was best to lower my medication to 25 mg once a day, but as I remained on the dosage for a month I started to experience even more symptoms. Ranging everywhere from migraines, fatigue, increased anxiety, stomach issues, and a period that came two weeks early which was the heaviest most intense physical and hormonal period I have ever experienced. My periods come like clock work every single month, so it was strange that it came two weeks early. I even began to develop ringing and pain in my right ear. I decided it was best to get off of this terrible medicine. Unfortunately coming off of this medicine was even worse than being on it, over the course of the two weeks each time a dose decrease occurred I experienced horrific side effects and withdrawal. Ranging from extreme sweating fits, the inability to fall asleep and stay asleep, extreme dizziness and fatigue, daily migraines, stomach issues, depression, anxiety, and bad bouts of heart Palpitations as well as tachycardia which I’ve never experienced before. At points I debated going to the hospital. I have now been off of this medicine for a week completely and generally I’ve been feeling okay, but yesterday I began experiencing symptoms that I usually have right before my period and noticed that I was spotting. Today the symptoms continued and am I am still spotting. I 100% believe this is a side effect of this medicine and coming off if it. its very upsetting that there is no research truly being conducted regarding the menstrual impacts this medication has and due to this my doctor keeps disregarding my symptoms and treating it as if it is not this medication. Which is insane because I never had any if these issues before and this is the only new medication I've been put on and come off of within this timeframe. I would advise that anyone coming off of this take the time to research others experiences because there truly are no resources available that outline what a large majority of women go through while being weaned off of this poison.

• Posted

I took propranolol for the first time in 2018 age 46 to calm my nerves for a presentation I was doing in front of a lot of people. I started my period immediately after, even though I had just finished it a couple of days before. This happened reliably on all subsequent occasions when I took it (for presentations and speeches). Then I started a new job and took it regularly for a month - which triggered a permanent bleeding situation. Bleeding all the time - literally every single day of every month with no breaks. The doctors say 'probably nothing to do with that, it will be your age'. However, I had the Mirena coil fitted two months ago as an attempt to help control the bleeding. It worked. After bleeding for about a week, it stopped for approx 6 weeks. Then I took propranolol again, and the bleeding started the following day like clockwork and I have no expectation of it stopping! I love the magic effects of propranolol on anxiety, but will have to stop now and live with it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.