propranolol and menstrual cycle

Posted , 33 users are following.

I was on propranolol for over a year. After being on it for 2 mths at a high dose 120mg- I felt like something was changing. I went off the birth control pill- and low & behold- my period stopped! Completely- no slow taper- nothing! I was thrown quickly into a menopausal state and felt crazy! I am only 45 yrs- so STRANGE! I had also gained an unusual amount of weight throughout my middle- over 20 lbs!

I few other things happened- and I decided to ween myself off it. (You MUST do this or you will have withdrawal symptoms! !) When I got down to 10mg- my periods came back!! So weird! Definitely link I feel! ! I have weaned myself off completely. I feel doctors aren't forthcoming or do not know enough about all the side effects from this drug!

Think twice before going on...try low dosage first at the very least!

Anyone else stop their monthly cycles on this medicine? ?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I have been on propanolol for a few months and am experiencing vomiting every month at the very beginning of each month. I never had this happen before I was on propanolol. My theroy is that the low blood pressure mixed with hormones from my cycle are causing this. Is anyone else experiencing this?

• Posted

hi. i also went on propranolol for headaches. 80mlg a day. after a couple of months my periods stopped and i put on a lot of weight around my middle. I stopped taking and my periods have come back and my weight is reducing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.