Propranolol for headaches

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey all,

Has anyone had success with propranolol for chronic migraine, tension type headaches? I would love to hear your stories. I have just been prescribed this for my ongoing headaches that I have had for the past 4 months. I was prescribed 10mgs twice a day and am suppose to go up to 20mgs twice a day after two weeks.

Has anyone one had success with propranolol? If so, what dose are you on?

Like many of us, I hate having to take medication but can no longer bare the 24/7 headaches I have had for the past 4 months. Any advice or success stories would be greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

Yes I'm on it and had success. I refused the preventatives for years then finally went in to propranolol, you're on a very low dose, I was straight on to 80mgs and I've stayed on that dose for about 5 years, coming off it for oregnancy.  I take it first thing in the morning, first few weeks are tough as it makes you quite tired but that all disappears. My daily chronic migraine that I had for so long finally lifted, and the daily headaches went with it, I now get migraines when I ovulate and on my period which I take s Triptan for and it kills them, I still get headaches but nothing like before and not every day. Propranolol has been life saving for me. No side effects other than getting used to the drug with tiredness and weird dress but if you stick with it it will help. 80mg slow release is the standard dose for migraines so hopefully you can get relief on dose if not go up some more. Good luck xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your comment! I appreciate it so much! Do you remember how long it took to start working for you. I just upped mine to 20mgs twice a day. I don't feel any side effects from it, just wish these darn headaches would go away! Thank you again for your comment and I am glad your headaches went away! 

• Posted

Hi there, it doesn't work immediately sadly, takes a few weeks and months to get to best levels, if your not getting side effects that's fantastic, maybe go back to dr in a few weeks if still nit better and go uo to 80mgs, they actually wanted me on 160mgs but I refused as I'm small and scared it was too much. But 80s great.  I've tried to wean iff it loads as I think I'm better then after a week my daily head returns with a vengeance every single time, so I stay on them now lol. Good luck!! Xx

• Edited

i’ve been suffering chronic migraines for years now and they put me on propranolol and they didn’t get any better after 6 months. i decided to stop taking it cold turkey and MAN WAS THAT THE NASTIEST withdrawal ever!!! i’m about to go cold turkey on my prozac which i know i shouldn’t do, but i can’t get in to see my doctor for 3 months so i’m just gonna roll with the punches. i had severe chest pain, hot sweats, irregular heart beat, diarrhea and then constipation, crying fits, dizziness, trouble sleeping etc REALLY bad for about 2 weeks and i felt SO MUCH better. it’s worth it to me. if i survived that withdrawal then i’ll survive this one. i take clonazepam for my panic disorder and temazepam for insomnia so it can’t be too bad..starting to think anti depressants are a bunch of bull
    • Posted

That's how I feel about anti depressants. Stopped Sertraline after 3 months cold turkey. It sucked, but while on this medication my headaches started.

How long have you been on Prozac for if I may ask?

Are you stopping it because you feel like it isn't working for you?

• Posted

Yes, i’m stopping because i feel like it’s making me worse or not working. I’ve been on it for 3 years. I know it’s not a good idea to stop cold turkey ever but like i said i don’t wanna wait 3 months to see my doctor 
    • Posted

Yes, i’m stopping because i feel like it’s making me worse or not working. I’ve been on it for 3 years. I know it’s not a good idea to stop cold turkey ever but like i said i don’t wanna wait 3 months to see my doctor 
    • Posted

Totally understand about it making things worst! I've been there. If you have any pills left, maybe try to cut back on them a little, for a couple of weeks and then stop! Might help with withdrawals a little. That's horrible you can't get into your doctors for 3 months. I wouldn't know what to do. 

• Posted

i was thinking about taking them every other day to taper off! just not sure. thank you btw! it’s nice to talk to others who actually understand 
  • Posted

I started 30mg per day of propranolol for migraines/tension headaches 2 months ago and tried that for a month but that had no effect on me so I was put up to 80mg a day. After a few days on that I got more tired than ever, lost all concentration and started feeling quite depressed, and even then my headaches were still very frequent. Been taken off propranolol today and trying amitriptyline now, but very dubious about that.
    • Posted

Good luck with the Amitriptyline. I hope that medication works for you! Yeah I stopped the propranolol already, it was making me feel breathless. My doctor gave me a muscle relaxer to try, to see if that helps get rid of the headaches. Tried it last night and I was out lol. Woke up this morning with the headache still. I know it's due to anxiety, but I feel anxious about the headache, so it's a vicious cycle. Let me know how you get on with the Amitriptyline!

• Posted

Good luck with the Amitriptyline. I hope that medication works for you! Yeah I stopped the propranolol already, it was making me feel breathless. My doctor gave me a muscle relaxer to try, to see if that helps get rid of the headaches. Tried it last night and I was out lol. Woke up this morning with the headache still. I know it's due to anxiety, but I feel anxious about the headache, so it's a vicious cycle. Let me know how you get on with the Amitriptyline!

• Posted

• Posted

i have headaches literally every single day, if not migraines almost every single day, and the propranolol side effects were awful, so i’m just gonna have to roll with the punches and continue to deal with them as they come rolleyes 
  • Posted

Hey, I've been on 160mg propranolol since I was 17 for migraine so almost 30 years. Yes I would definitely recommend it as a preventative. Over the years, your body gets used to tablets though! Other tablets have therefore been added to my prescriptions such as amitriptyline at night, naratriptan twice a day, and naproxen three times a day. I would also recommend trying botox for migraine. Mine are extremely bad and a daily struggle though. They are also hereditary: my Mum has had them age 8 to 80 and between us we have tried every tablet on the market! Good luck to you. I hope they work well.

• Posted

Every doctor i have ever come across advises AGAINST BOTOX injections because it can lead to sooo many complications. also, that is A LOT of medications, i wouldn’t recommend (as well as most doctors) to be on that many medications. they’re coming out with more studies saying antidepressants are bull and i’m starting to believe it. THE LESS medications you’re on, the BETTER. (unless you need more meds for something extreme like PTSD and such)
    • Posted

MEREBEAR did you get any leg aching or leg weakness during withdrawal of propanol or mixed with alcohol ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.