Propranolol - from devestating anxiety to calm in 1 day

Posted , 154 users are following.

Hi, I am a 36 year old professional male and for the past 3 months I've been suffering with anxiety attacks. I thought the anxiety feelings of panic was actually brought on by low blood sugar but my blood tests came back fine and at that point I realised my issues were linked to anxiety. I am usually a confident person and only ever experienced anxiety when presenting to large groups at work, basically I could feel my heart racing and had an urgent need to leave the room (flight response), I could hold my ground and get through it but it was the worst feeling in the world. Other than presentations I would usually be 100% confident, I go on dates or even interviews with no anxiety but recently I can get the same anxious feelings by just meeting a friend for dinner or taking a phone call. I have had some issues in my personal life which I think have brought these on and also my work has been very quiet lately so I have been pretty isolated - a "big deal" used to be a work presentation and now its just a meeting or even seeing a friend.

My anxiety could range from feeling uncomfortable and uneasy through to a medium panic attack. During a panic attack I can sit there and function but I feel dreadful and its so difficult to articulate myself, I just feel like running out the room. I could spend the weekend with family and my girlfriend and be fine, then head for dinner the same day, with the same people and feel anxious in the restaurant.

My GP prescribed Propranolol, 40mg to take before anxious situations or twice a day, whichever I felt comfortable with. I had been feeling dreadful that week, had a couple of anxiety attacks and had been extreemly restless and unhappy, my sleep was heavily disturbed too and I couldn't eat. I had lost a stone over the past few months, mainly from loss of appetite and from not drinking (due to this making everything worse the following day).

I took a 40mg tab that evening, 2 hours before going out. Within an hour I felt so relaxed, I literally felt like my worries and anxiety was releasing from my body. That evening I had planned to go to the cinema, the building was packed and there was stress getting a ticket. I had felt anxious about this earlier that day (before taking my first Propranolol) but when I arrived I felt in control. I was chatty to the people behind, we got our tickets and I really enjoyed the film - previously I have felt trapped by being in the cinema around lots of people.

I didn't sleep very well that night but the following day I felt fine, I took a tablet with breakfast and headed to work. Certain situations which would cause my anxiety to rise just didn't phase me all day long, I was proactive to try to provoke situations that could cause me to be anxious and nothing happened. I ended up heading to the shops after work and then to visit family at 7pm, by the evening I could feel that the Propranolol was wearing off and I did feel slightly anxious and it was more difficult to talk to family members.

I still need to test the Propranolol during more stressful situations but so far I have been amazed with how effective this drug is. I still feel a little down but my worrying thoughts do not spiral out of control as they used to. When confronted with a tense situation by body just holds its ground like it used to and I seem to be able to get through anything now. I get a little tingling feeling, as if my body is trying to make me feel anxious, but it just gets no momentum and this then gives me confidence to continue. Propranolol is such an amazing drug.

Side effects wise I have had disturbed sleep and a slight aching round by my kidneys. No sweating, sexual disfunction, irritability etc - everything feels fine. I actually didn't take a tablet last night and slept really well but I did feel anxious for an hour this morning until the tablet kicked in. I think I am going to take it twice daily to have some regularity and make sure I take this early enough for it to kick in before my first meeting each day.

I realise that Propranolol isn't fixing the root issue and I plan to have counciling in the next few weeks (GP is sorting that out). I do think that Propranolol has enabled me to get my life back on track, I can go to work, see friends and lead a normal life whereas just a week ago I was thinking I'd have to give up work and possibly move back in with my parents for them to look after me, that seems crazy now looking back.

I would strongly recommend Propranolol to anyone suffering with anxiety, panic attacks or possibly even to help get through tough presentations or interviews.

That's me story, I will come back and add updates - anyone else had similar experiences?

46 likes, 203 replies

203 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi can you please help me as im suffering so badly with anxiety as my relationship has broken down after 4 years and im so devastated , we had an argument last week and now my boyfriend is refusing to discuss anything with me and everytime I ring him he gets really angry and shouts terrible abuse at me , I am trying to not contact him as I want to leave him alone to try and sort his drinking and his anger issues out but I keep feeling so anxious and sad that I keep wanting to put things right between us and feel so low, my doctor has prescribed proprananol 80 ml a day , please can you tell me will this take these awful feelings away and help me try and relax and feel better , thankyou kaz5
    • Posted

It may help relax you but it won't solve the problem. I have just come out of a very abusive relationship, she was violent as well verbally abusive. To be honest Propranolol hasn't worked for me yet, but I'm hoping it will. I also take Sertraline as it was really bad. I hope you manage to escape that relationship, it took me 18 months to say enough is enough

• Posted

Hi Kaz, sorry to hear you are going through this. Propranolol helps with panic symptoms rather than depression, it will help you feel a little more relaxed but unfortunately doesn't stop the anguish or feelings of worry. For me it just helps keep me composed for work and social situations, I still feel depressed but at least the anxiety is kept at bay and I can still lead a normal life. I am now struggling with feeling lonely and having trouble sleeping so Im going to get some advice on that, I feel a little better each day - you will get there, try keeping yourself busy and spend time with friends or family if you can.
    • Posted

hiya hope we can chat at some point please xx
    • Posted

Hi b1001

i am a 38 year old professional male and i read your first post. quite similiar to what i had. my first panic attack was sitting at home in front of a computer dec 2013. i started with chest pain. then dizziness like i was going to pass out. went to ER no problem spent the next weeks heart tests more blood tests, scans etc fine. i had bouts of dizziness and nausua, and more panick attacks. they gave me propanolo but not taking it as trying to fight it on my own (is this a swing start already???)

dec, jan, bad, feb better, march and april have been much better as i was on 0.25mg of xanax per day twice a day very low dosage in march and april. i am trying to wean myself off them now to one a day but latley now i have feel more anxious, had a slight mild panick attack last night and some nauseau. this morning feeing ok but drained!!.

i have had tingling in the leg mucles particular calf muscles and sometimes in arms + muscle twitching. did you or anyone suffer with these? Also latley i have been suffering bouts of stomach. do you ore anyone have had mild cramps in upper ambdomen due to anxiety?

thinking of going for therapy but not affecting my life i can still work ok and perform normally i just try and get on with it but last week or say is been shit again with high levels of worry and anxiety. and after 6 months i still dont know the cuase! any advise welcome!!

• Posted

What you are experiencing is Xanax withdrawal from being physically dependent on it. All those symptoms are classic withdrawal symptoms.
    • Posted

Propranolol is good for anxiety but have some side effects that are not helpful. I have been taking 30mg for some time now because of heart papitation. But the side effect on my is sleeping disorders. I cannot sleep at night when i have them. I know people have this medication and can get 6-7 hours sleep at night. But i do not know why i can.t sleep. can somebody tell me what to do next? thanks.
  • Edited

hi and thank you so much , the doctor has also prescribed me with diazipan which I am taking at night time to try and relax me and help me to sleep , ive always had depression on and off but this last few years I feel as if I am lost in a world of grief , I was married for many years and in the end I felt lonely and I think I got bored so I decided to call it a day only to regret my decision in every way , my ex husband then got with my friend at work and they have since married in a big lavish wedding and are so happy and in love that I feel I wish it was me, almost 4 years ago I met a man off the internet and we have dated ever since but hes such a different type to what im used to and doesn't show me any real affection and when I asked him if he loved me he said he cares for me , the thing is this man is a very heavy drinker and ive been trying to tell him hes drinking to much as its about 5 large bottles of vodka a week , anyway I think with my nagging hes been getting fed up with me hes still been drinking but it was lager for a while ,anyway this man has got the worse anger issues ive ever know he has a very stressfull job and gets wound up for no real reason , we went away the weekend before last and had an ok time but a few rows over the drink again, anyway when we got home all was ok then a row broke out over my dog begging for his food and I went home but before I left his house I told him he was making me feel miserable ect , now hes said ive done what I did and I went home so as far as hes concearened I finished it and that's that, ive been trying to put things right but all he keeps doing if I try and contact him is saying look I refuse to disguss whats happened and you need to just get on with your life , I asked him was it over for good then and he said its looking that way , ive spoken to him about other things and he will answer them but nothing to do with us , as ive moved house after my divorce my dog doesn't like it there as hes old and stuck in his ways anyway he howls in the day so my fella has been letting him stay at his house as he lives in a detached house and the howling doesn't get heard so bad there the dogs been there for over a year now, anyway my fella says the dog can still stay there in the day as long as were gone before he gets home which we have been , the only thing is its upsetting for me to still go to his house everyday as it keep bringing back all the memories and upset of the break up , ive offered my chap he keys back and ive got quite a large amount of money of his in my bank account ive also offered that back too but he just keeps saying leave it for now , I wish someone could help me feel better as I feel so devastated that its over for ever , I keep sayig sorry and he just keeps saying but you wont change , my sister inlaw says hes keeping me on a bit of string and hes punishing me for walking out , but I don't know as im so ill and I get so down and confused about things, I know hes not a great person to be around at times , but im so alone and I feel I need him , can anyone help me to try and feel better as im stuck in this house alone and I sometimes feel now that without any company of my own I cant go on , thanks for reading .
    • Posted

You are the one who needs to let go. No self respecting person would be willing to do that. That said, I've fallen into the hole twice in my life, so I get it. And all I can tell you to do is be stronger than I was a let go faster. My two falls nearly ruined my life. Many would say they DID... but I still have many skills up my sleeve and the only one I need is an ability to play guitar. I do it very well and I have done it for a very long time with several other "interludes" between music. Find what it is that makes you happy by yourself and give that your best shot. I have lived alone for a long time. It's not fun. The days are long and your brain plays too many loops. Look to break the loop. I always miss going to bed, stretching out a leg... and feeling another toe. Just the knowing that you're not alone. But that isn't "now" for me and i have to deal with "now" before I can deal with anything else. I hope things go well for you.

• Posted

Hiya kaz5,

I just read your post from a year ago.

Wow, it was so sad. You really have had a rough time.

Just wondering how you have got on since and whether things have improved at all?

Sounds like you need & deserve better men in your life.

Not sure if I can help, but sometimes it helps to know people care.

Terry

• Posted

Hi. I’m so sorry your feeling this way. Being on your own when you have anxiety it’s horrid.. you need people around to help you take your mind off the negative thoughts we have. Would love to have a chat with you if you need any help. I’ve been there on and off for many years. I do have a very supportive husband. But when my negativity sets in my mind I can not get out of it. I’m on anti-depressants and am now thinking of speaking to my GP about propanol. I suffer with some social anxiety and new things can set me off.  Also when I’m not well I feel very anxious. 
    • Edited

Hi Kaz I know the situation your going through because I also went through a 6 year relationship with a girl who drank far to much, Large bottle of vodka+ per day but I thought I could fix her and try and help get her off it by making her see it's not normal or healthy for her. I did this because I loved her so much and she'd experienced some very horrible past relationships with men who treated her very badly. But as time went by it just didn't get better. She was exstreemly verbally abusive to me, and often physically when towards the end of the day and she was beyond sober. When I read your story various things you said match mine. I wanted her better so she could love me the same way I loved her, sounds selfish but I know she had it in her, but the alcohol always came first unfortunately. We got her various treatments and help, support etc but she seemed to not be interested because she thought she was ok. I spent most of my time at her flat because everytime she came to my house to stay, after a day or two she would get more angry than usual and sometimes smash things up, swear at my neighbours and visitors. Even though I loved her so much and know deep down one day she will hopefully realise she can't go on living life like that and get help and give up the alcohol. But I couldn't take it no More and as much as it hurt, I had no choice but to leave her and end our relationship. She too for the first few months tried everything to keep me on her ownership rope, making various stories up about fake health scares. Promises she will stop drinking. Refusing me my clothes and property I had at her flat. Tears and Tantrums etc, the list is endless to be honest. 

So the message in my story Kaz is this man your with is very selfish and if he doesn't see his drinking as a problem and is also violent with it, or without for that matter, then you need to walk away, and fast before it's too late. Why burden your life for any longer with someone who cares more about a bottle than he does yourself. Give him his money back even if it means putting it under his pillow the day you walk out for good. That way there's no excuses or attachments he has over you. Delete his number and change yours if possible, or just block his so he can't hassle you that way either. It's a big world out there with many men who would kill to have a beautiful woman that loves them. I didn't or couldn't see that when I was in your situation, but it's true. It takes a while getting over what you've lost and hurts very much sometimes, but eventually it gets easier and before you know it, they become history and someone else will come along to whisk you off your feet. It's not happened for me yet, but she has no impact on my life anymore. 

I hope this will encourage you to do the right thing for you, and you only Kat. ????😘X

• Posted

Hi, I have started taking propranolol to combat anxiety issues and wondered how long the side effects take to subside, ie feeling slightly spaced and tired. Thanks
  • Posted

After a week I felt fine but the sleeping pills gave me side effects which I still have to manage with today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.