Propranolol - from devestating anxiety to calm in 1 day

Posted , 154 users are following.

Hi, I am a 36 year old professional male and for the past 3 months I've been suffering with anxiety attacks. I thought the anxiety feelings of panic was actually brought on by low blood sugar but my blood tests came back fine and at that point I realised my issues were linked to anxiety. I am usually a confident person and only ever experienced anxiety when presenting to large groups at work, basically I could feel my heart racing and had an urgent need to leave the room (flight response), I could hold my ground and get through it but it was the worst feeling in the world. Other than presentations I would usually be 100% confident, I go on dates or even interviews with no anxiety but recently I can get the same anxious feelings by just meeting a friend for dinner or taking a phone call. I have had some issues in my personal life which I think have brought these on and also my work has been very quiet lately so I have been pretty isolated - a "big deal" used to be a work presentation and now its just a meeting or even seeing a friend.

My anxiety could range from feeling uncomfortable and uneasy through to a medium panic attack. During a panic attack I can sit there and function but I feel dreadful and its so difficult to articulate myself, I just feel like running out the room. I could spend the weekend with family and my girlfriend and be fine, then head for dinner the same day, with the same people and feel anxious in the restaurant.

My GP prescribed Propranolol, 40mg to take before anxious situations or twice a day, whichever I felt comfortable with. I had been feeling dreadful that week, had a couple of anxiety attacks and had been extreemly restless and unhappy, my sleep was heavily disturbed too and I couldn't eat. I had lost a stone over the past few months, mainly from loss of appetite and from not drinking (due to this making everything worse the following day).

I took a 40mg tab that evening, 2 hours before going out. Within an hour I felt so relaxed, I literally felt like my worries and anxiety was releasing from my body. That evening I had planned to go to the cinema, the building was packed and there was stress getting a ticket. I had felt anxious about this earlier that day (before taking my first Propranolol) but when I arrived I felt in control. I was chatty to the people behind, we got our tickets and I really enjoyed the film - previously I have felt trapped by being in the cinema around lots of people.

I didn't sleep very well that night but the following day I felt fine, I took a tablet with breakfast and headed to work. Certain situations which would cause my anxiety to rise just didn't phase me all day long, I was proactive to try to provoke situations that could cause me to be anxious and nothing happened. I ended up heading to the shops after work and then to visit family at 7pm, by the evening I could feel that the Propranolol was wearing off and I did feel slightly anxious and it was more difficult to talk to family members.

I still need to test the Propranolol during more stressful situations but so far I have been amazed with how effective this drug is. I still feel a little down but my worrying thoughts do not spiral out of control as they used to. When confronted with a tense situation by body just holds its ground like it used to and I seem to be able to get through anything now. I get a little tingling feeling, as if my body is trying to make me feel anxious, but it just gets no momentum and this then gives me confidence to continue. Propranolol is such an amazing drug.

Side effects wise I have had disturbed sleep and a slight aching round by my kidneys. No sweating, sexual disfunction, irritability etc - everything feels fine. I actually didn't take a tablet last night and slept really well but I did feel anxious for an hour this morning until the tablet kicked in. I think I am going to take it twice daily to have some regularity and make sure I take this early enough for it to kick in before my first meeting each day.

I realise that Propranolol isn't fixing the root issue and I plan to have counciling in the next few weeks (GP is sorting that out). I do think that Propranolol has enabled me to get my life back on track, I can go to work, see friends and lead a normal life whereas just a week ago I was thinking I'd have to give up work and possibly move back in with my parents for them to look after me, that seems crazy now looking back.

I would strongly recommend Propranolol to anyone suffering with anxiety, panic attacks or possibly even to help get through tough presentations or interviews.

That's me story, I will come back and add updates - anyone else had similar experiences?

46 likes, 203 replies

203 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI there, thanks for posting about Propranolol. I have been prescribed 10mg to help with what is a little bit of tachycardia/anxiety. I have not started them. This morning my heart rate went up to 140 beats per min as I started moving about - spiralled into a panic attack, breathelessness and dizziness. I think I need to start these tablets. The anxiety is uncontrollable now. But I am anxious about taking the tablet! Any thoughts? How to get of this downward spiral of anxiety>?
    • Posted

Please take the tablets..I'm sure they will help. I have been on them for 5 years and I don't know what I would have done without them. I was having horrendous anxiety attacks and had to attend the hospital three times because I thought I was dying. They have literally turned my life around so please give them a go. You may get some side effects but that is a small price to pay for the relief they will bring. Good luck

• Posted

Perhaps I should take the tablets! That might help!

• Posted

@trueman. I've started my propranolol journey 10 days ago and has made such a difference already.

I was also anxious about starting but so glad I did smile

• Posted

I have just started on propranolol in fact I just had my first dose.... I was stood waiting in the pharmacy when I started researching the medication and your amazing story of how you felt in just a few hours encouraged me...... I have just endured nearly 2months of anxiety..... Which came and attacked me out of the blue.... I am normally a very active and confident 25 year old professional. I am just hoping for some rest and a break from just feeling awful..... I am doing counselling and CBT and would encourage anyone to do this as well because there always is a reason... I look forward to getting back to be me... Long road but I'm taking baby steps. Carnot really comment on side effects just yet because the way I am thinking is nothing can make me feel worse than not being able to even speak to family and friends!! Hope this helps Jen.
  • Posted

Just recently, I started a new job which requires public speaking with an audience. I found out the hard way that I apparently have SEVERE anxiety/fear of public speaking! I assume I have always had it but have managed to avoid public speaking for my entire 40 years! My symptoms were shaking, trembling, shortness of breath. My body would flush and my palms would sweat! My voice would crack and tremble. It was HORRIBLE and I considered quiting my job because I just couldnt endure it and I know I must have looked terrified and scared out of my mind although nobody said anything. In a last ditch effort to save myself, I went to the doctor and he prescribed Propranolol. THIS MEDICATION WORKS FAST. Within 2 hours of taking it, I felt so relaxed and happy!! The tightness in my chest was gone and I'm not in a state of total anxiety over my next public speech. When I anticipate my next speech, I still feel a touch of anxiety but it is dramatically reduced. Now, I feel like I CAN DO IT instead of dreading it and sending myself into a full blown attack! I recommend this medication. Sometimes people just need help and if you suffer from social or public speaking anxiety, you may want to consider a low dose of propranolol. (I had tried many other remedies before Propranolol). I tried yoga, calming tea, herbs, breathing exercises and even limiting sugar and caffeine.
    • Posted

Hi Julia. I have the same symptoms and it's just so awful. Can I ask you how many mg of Propranolol you take before giving a speech? Thank you for your help.
    • Posted

Hi Sara,

YES!!  It's terrible and it made me consider quitting my job!!  So, I'm glad I found propranolol.  I take 2 (10 mg each).  I take them approx 2 hours before my speech.  You really can't feel anything happening but then when it's time for public speaking....you are in CALM mode as opposed to PURE PANIC! It prevents your heart from beating out of your chest and your breathing will be normal.   No shakes, or adrenelin rush or panic.   It's like it takes away the psysical symptoms so you can get through it.  My doctor also gave me lorazapam pills (0.5 mg) and I have taken half of a pill approx 45 minutes before my meeting as well.  Please check with your doctor to see what is right for you but I do recommend Propranolol if you have to get speeches or have a general anxiety disorder.  It takes the edge off and you can actually function.

• Posted

Thank you so much for answering Julie. I have to speak at a meeting on Monday and my doctor just gave me propranolol to help calm me. He told me to take one 10mg tablet over the weekend to see how it works for me. I tried last night but did not feel anything. Maybe I should take two because I think that one is a very low dose. He told me that I could try and see how many work best for me but I am so afraid that if I take too much that I won't be able to function. I am also on Lexapro. I started the Lexapro two weeks ago and do feel a bit calmer but I know that when I have to speak, I will just start shaking and my voice will crack when I am in front of everyone. I get so embarrassed. I can feel my face getting all red, it just awful. Do you think it will help with the blushing as well? I am 55 and I still have this awful phobia. Well, thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it.
    • Posted

I took 20 mg (2 pills @ 10mg each) 2 hrs before my speech!  It was like a miracle. I think you should ask your doctor if its ok before you take higher doses.  You dont want to take too high a dose because it slows your heartbeat.  Anyway, you might still be nervous before your meeting but you will be able to handle it much better.  You wont be shaking or sweating and you will be calm when you speak.  Therefore, your voice will not crack etc.  I imagine you wont blush either.  Also, another tip...dont drink coffee or things with caffeine before.  Now..I still dont exactly like public speaking but at least now I can handle it better and I dont panic.  It's ok that you have this phobia.  No one is perfect and everyone has their own "issue".  Just stay calm and tell yourself you can do this.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks you Julie. I think I will ask my doctor if I can take 2 pills of 10 mg each. Maybe that will work better for me. Thanks again for your help and support. Hope you have a good week : )
    • Posted

Hi Julie/Sarah, I have awful phobia of public speaking and currently having to attend a lot of meetings in my new job. I recently had to talk in front of 20 people and felt awful. It is hard to describe to people who dont have this fear just how bad it is. Some people can feel a bit nervous, but then easily get through, but it is almost impossible to speak when you are so petrified. I am on the brink of packing in  my job as it just feels too stressful for me. It is a consultant role too, so I am told that I have to come accross more confident at these meetings and I am constantly in different locations and working for different companies. The fear of my job and public speaking is all consuming and plays on my mind every day and last night I woke up with sweat pouring off me. My doctor prescribed me some of this stuff a while ago, but when I read up on them it said you should not take it if you have a slow resting heartbeat(mine is in the 40's) so I have not taken it. I am just wondering what your resting heartbeats are
    • Posted

Hi blackpoolred,

My resting hearbeat is about 60, so it is on the low side but not quite as low as yours. I only tried it once so far and it did help alot but since your heartbeat is so low, I would check with your doctor first.  Can I ask why it is that low, are you an athlete? I hope that you can try it because it made a big difference to me and I get terrified to speak in public. I shake and my voice trembles, it is just the worst thing and it is so embarrassing!

• Posted

Hi Blackpoolred:

Mine is in the 60's.  Call you doctor and just verify that it's ok to take.  Anywhere from 10-20 mgs makes a big difference in how you feel and that is considered a very lose dose.  Don't pack it in yet!  At least try first.  You must have good qualities that make you qualified for your job so don't let this ruin it for you.  I felt the exact same...and sometimes I still do but I just take it day by day and this medication helps alot!   The more confidence you gain the better you will do with everything too.  I know the feeling...it's like pure panic and first response is quit so you never have to feel it again.   But this is just a challenge and you may as well face and and try to conquer it.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Julia,

I think that is good advice that you gave blackpooled. Can I ask you a question? I only used the propronolol once and I did notice a difference but I was still a little shaky not too bad though. I took two 10 mg tablets, do you think I could try taking three 10 mg tablets next time? I weigh 140 lbs. Just wondering what your thoughts are. Thank you : )

• Posted

Hi Sara,

I really don't know.  I imagine it would be ok but I think you should always check with a doctor to get the ok to increase the dose.  I have done a ton of research myself (because of my own issues) and I do know alot of people take way more than 20 mg.  But...I've also read  about overdoses etc. so it's really hard to say what would be best for you.  I would check with a doctor so that I feel safe with a higher dose.  I know what you mean though because I've thought to take more too but just havent done it.  I have to go back to the doctor in a couple weeks so maybe I'll ask about that.   I've also noticed that the propranolol takes away the physical symtoms of the anxiety but the scared/nervous thoughts are still there.  I think it mostly prevents the shaking, trembling, rapid heart beats and sweating etc.  So, now when my words come out..they come out "NORMAL" instead of all panicky, scared and shaky!  smile

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I would not call myself an athlete but I like to keep myself fit. I have a slow resting heartbeat because I am healthy(that is what my doctor tells me). I have palpatations quite a lot and I remember 1 doctor a couple of years ago saying he would normally prescribe betablockers, but could not prescribe them to me because low resting heartbeat. I think this Propranolol is a betablocker, Yet this doctor tells me it wont be a problem to take even with my heartbeat. I think sometimes they cant be bothered to look at your file and are just happy to prescribe anything. I am a little weary of trying them even though they have only given me 10mg to start with. Thanks for your reply 

• Posted

Thanks Julie,

I cant quit my job as that would be giving in smile and I have 2 teenage daughters at uni and I feel responsible for them and also a mortgage and all the rest of the responsibilities smile It is good advice to take it one day at a time though and that is how we should all live our lives.

I pass a homeless man each day on the way to work at the moment and always buy him a cup of coffee and give him some money and we have a chat - that is the last conversation of the day I have with a human that is not actually an idiot - I envy him a little, at the moment, as his live seems so simple - I know that sounds daft.

My worries should be nothing to his, but it still does not help me overcome the fears and stress of all the responsibilities in and out of work .

I digress smile I shall have to try this propranolol to rid me of my general anxieties and this public speaking fear. How hard can it be to talk - its just words, so why does it bother me so much.

I will face my fear and see it as a challenge and I hope you have good luck conquering it too.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi, glad you found a fix for what is a crushingly embarrassing experience. I have experienced this many times over my working life (49 YEAR OLD professional). I too have just discovered propranolol which my gp gladly prescribed. I took 40mg and 2 hours later gave a flawless presentation. However that night my sleep was extremely badly upset. I was like a zombie the next day. Soooo  disappointed. Do you have any side effects ?? Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi, I am Samuel. I read your feedback regarding propranolol. I also went through same situation and my doctor suggested me to take 2 times each 10mg.. Are you still taking it? How long should take?
    • Posted

Samuel, I have had severe anxiety and panic attacks since i was a young boy! I have been on damn near every medication they could offer and propranolol has been by far the best!!! it really works for performance anxiety which i suffer from. Mist days i can get away with only taking 1-10 mg pill a day but if i have a meeting or something that is really stressing me out i will take 2. 
    • Posted

Agreed Julie this drug has changed my life as well!! Your story is almost identical to mine!!
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

I have read your posts & I have the same condition, I'm in my late '50's and have suffered with this all my life. When I know there is something coming up where I have to speak in front of people I try to fins excuses not to attend. Have missed promotions because I have this terrible fear. I have done presentations before small groups and each time I'm like a wreck, heart pounding, blushing, sweating, it's so embarrassing, afterwards I feel dejected and a failure. Last week I went to my doctor and was prescribed propranolol, I have to stand up in front of a lot of peoole this week and I'm in bits. I took tablets this evening to see if there is an improvement, I don't notice anything and constantly the worry and fear is on mind every day. I hope I will be ok on the night. Thanks for your posts & hope all goes well for you now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.