Propranolol - from devestating anxiety to calm in 1 day

Posted , 154 users are following.

Hi, I am a 36 year old professional male and for the past 3 months I've been suffering with anxiety attacks. I thought the anxiety feelings of panic was actually brought on by low blood sugar but my blood tests came back fine and at that point I realised my issues were linked to anxiety. I am usually a confident person and only ever experienced anxiety when presenting to large groups at work, basically I could feel my heart racing and had an urgent need to leave the room (flight response), I could hold my ground and get through it but it was the worst feeling in the world. Other than presentations I would usually be 100% confident, I go on dates or even interviews with no anxiety but recently I can get the same anxious feelings by just meeting a friend for dinner or taking a phone call. I have had some issues in my personal life which I think have brought these on and also my work has been very quiet lately so I have been pretty isolated - a "big deal" used to be a work presentation and now its just a meeting or even seeing a friend.

My anxiety could range from feeling uncomfortable and uneasy through to a medium panic attack. During a panic attack I can sit there and function but I feel dreadful and its so difficult to articulate myself, I just feel like running out the room. I could spend the weekend with family and my girlfriend and be fine, then head for dinner the same day, with the same people and feel anxious in the restaurant.

My GP prescribed Propranolol, 40mg to take before anxious situations or twice a day, whichever I felt comfortable with. I had been feeling dreadful that week, had a couple of anxiety attacks and had been extreemly restless and unhappy, my sleep was heavily disturbed too and I couldn't eat. I had lost a stone over the past few months, mainly from loss of appetite and from not drinking (due to this making everything worse the following day).

I took a 40mg tab that evening, 2 hours before going out. Within an hour I felt so relaxed, I literally felt like my worries and anxiety was releasing from my body. That evening I had planned to go to the cinema, the building was packed and there was stress getting a ticket. I had felt anxious about this earlier that day (before taking my first Propranolol) but when I arrived I felt in control. I was chatty to the people behind, we got our tickets and I really enjoyed the film - previously I have felt trapped by being in the cinema around lots of people.

I didn't sleep very well that night but the following day I felt fine, I took a tablet with breakfast and headed to work. Certain situations which would cause my anxiety to rise just didn't phase me all day long, I was proactive to try to provoke situations that could cause me to be anxious and nothing happened. I ended up heading to the shops after work and then to visit family at 7pm, by the evening I could feel that the Propranolol was wearing off and I did feel slightly anxious and it was more difficult to talk to family members.

I still need to test the Propranolol during more stressful situations but so far I have been amazed with how effective this drug is. I still feel a little down but my worrying thoughts do not spiral out of control as they used to. When confronted with a tense situation by body just holds its ground like it used to and I seem to be able to get through anything now. I get a little tingling feeling, as if my body is trying to make me feel anxious, but it just gets no momentum and this then gives me confidence to continue. Propranolol is such an amazing drug.

Side effects wise I have had disturbed sleep and a slight aching round by my kidneys. No sweating, sexual disfunction, irritability etc - everything feels fine. I actually didn't take a tablet last night and slept really well but I did feel anxious for an hour this morning until the tablet kicked in. I think I am going to take it twice daily to have some regularity and make sure I take this early enough for it to kick in before my first meeting each day.

I realise that Propranolol isn't fixing the root issue and I plan to have counciling in the next few weeks (GP is sorting that out). I do think that Propranolol has enabled me to get my life back on track, I can go to work, see friends and lead a normal life whereas just a week ago I was thinking I'd have to give up work and possibly move back in with my parents for them to look after me, that seems crazy now looking back.

I would strongly recommend Propranolol to anyone suffering with anxiety, panic attacks or possibly even to help get through tough presentations or interviews.

That's me story, I will come back and add updates - anyone else had similar experiences?

46 likes, 203 replies

203 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I know this is an old post but having just read it I see a mirrored view of many of my struggles to which Propanolol has been an effective tool too.

I really wanted to just enquire as to how you are now and if you need any pointers as I have been fighting the anxieties off for years and have found many good avenues to combat my differing disorders.

If you do read this and are still in distress in any way and would like any pointers please reply hopefully you are well in control and no need.

Kind regards,

Stuart.

• Posted

Hi Stuart 

I've just been reading the post on here and came a cross yours.

I was suffering with migraine & veritgo and was put on propranolol ! Since going on this, I know have massive panic attacks- am wondering was this going to happen anyway or was it the tablets..... I am usually very bubbly active person! Now I'am a wreck; and am on the sick now, I can't go to work as I feel so ill- I feel like my life has been taken over.

All this only started on the 24 th July this year. If you have any advice for help I would be very greatful.

Thank you in advance.

Pamela

• Posted

I was put on propranalol several years ago because I have a genetic condition called "Essential Tremor" or "Benign Familial Tremor". There is NO cure or effective medicine for this. Nonetheless, my doctor thought it might help. It wasn't long before I was in a fog all the time. As an actor who is involved in live stage plays, I found it harder to remember lines, and felt like I was in a perpetual fog. I lost the incentive to get up and do anything, as the drug exhausted me. The doctor kept amping up my dose. At 60, I was waking up with legs cramping with withdrawals as the drug had left my system overnight. I had dizziness and vertigo. I gained over 30 pounds in 4 months' time. 

I hated Propranalol ! I would never take it again.

If you're having anxiety attacks, there are better, other drugs to take, including homeopathic, that will help with stress.

Propranalol is a thyroid suppressant, and is often given to people with overactive thyroid. It is also used for hypertension, This drug works by slowing down your heart rate and slowing down your metabolism. Get out the drug statement of side effects. Your symptoms are right there.

A substitute doctor just tried to get me to take it recently for hypertension. Although I have been  under extreme stress for several months, he never asked if that was the possible reason. My BP dropped 10 points right in his office, but he ignored and continued to "push" for me to take this drug. He totally disregarded my objections and history of adverse reaction. I won't see him again.

• Posted

Hi Pamela, 

I'm suffering with Vestibular Migraine and after a visit to the Neurologist was started on Propranolol 11 days ago, 20mg twice a day after my GP had me on Amitripyline for the last 3 months which were helping (think Pro is this Neurologists favoured drug) I too have anxiety attacks but they started long before the Pro.  I think they go hand in hand with Vestibular Migraine from what I've read.  So far the Pro has had no effect but it's eary days I suppose.  How are you getting on now?  Have you been back to your GP about the anxiety?

Sally

• Posted

Yeah. Old thread but informative. I ran across it from a Google search for a new drug my Doc has prescribed... Propranolol. After performing on stage, musically for many decades, I have had a continuing and increasing case of "stage fright." I know I'm going to play well enough to impress an audience under any conditions, but the best nights are when I finish and impress myself. But... for quite a while, I've been suffering from near panic attacks. They start the morning of every performance with the heart pounding and nausea. By 6pm, I'm close to vomitting, cancelling the show, and going to a hospital because it feels like an impending heart attack. So, I'm going to try this tomorrow before the show. Wish me luck.
  • Posted

My GP put me on 80g slow release about 5 or 6 weeks ago for my anxiety, I've been on sertraline for about 2 yrs now but the anxiety got worse at the beginning of this year.  I felt better straight away and didn't feel anxious for about 3 weeks, I have the odd small attack every now and again now but nothing major.  However I've been feeling sick and have to run the loo with very loose motions recently, usually after having something with milk.  I know that feeling sick and having diarohea are less common symptoms of propranolol and wondered if anyone else suffered the same sort of thing 
    • Posted

Hi, ive been on 40mg twice a day for around 4 months with no real problems until last week then like you running to the loo and have actually been sick on 3 occasions in the last couple of days, every time I eat anything I feel sick
  • Posted

I took a lot of supplements in the lead up to figuring out that I had anxiety, magnesium and zinc included. Didnt make any difference! Some things are phycological. I also had a blood test which didnt show any difficiencies.
    • Posted

All magnesium is not the same. The most effective would be a spray on magnesium oil that works transdermally. 
  • Posted

Hi b1001, I know this is quite an old thread so I'm just intrigued to know if you are still taking Propranolol? I've been suffering for a while with palpitations, had all the tests and have been given the all clear. I'm beginning to think now that I actually do have anxiety and I've been in denial about it. Would you still recommend people to take this med?
    • Posted

Hi Kate, you're right this was nearly a year ago. Basically the Propanalol stopped me from getting into a mad panic, I'd still feel a bit uncomfortable/anxious but was able to get through an situation. I actually moved onto Sertraline, an SSRI which completely took the uncomfortableness out and I returned to normal. I took Sertraline and Propanaolol for a while but then didn't need the Propranalol anymore, not even for presentations or high stress situations. I would very occasionally take P if I was really run down, hungover or tired etc and has a tough situation to deal with.

I am now 90% off the Sertraline and have been tapering down, I don't take P anymore either. I'm interested to see whether I get nervous in big presentations etc and if so I have 100 P tablets stored for special occasions, I don't feel that I need them anymore though which actually puts me in a better position than I was in before my anxiety.

Basically if you hear pounding in your ears, you feel sick and your blood presure is rising during certain situations P is a great drug. If you just feel a little anxious it may or may not help. I would recommend Sertraline if you do have anxiety, it can knock you about for a few weeks but it was a smooth transition for me and I went from feeling anxious to being even better than my original self.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi b1001

I've been through exactly the same as you and with the same anxiety symptoms triggered by the same situations. My doctor has just prescribed Sertraline as a replacement for the Propranolol (I was getting side effects from the P). I'm really intrigued as to whether the Sertraline completely removes the symptoms in the way Propranolol does and how long does it take to kick in. I've been a week off Propranolol replaced by Sertraline and feeling gittery to say the least. 

I'm also really interested in why you think you were able to stop the Sertraline after less that a year. Do you feel that it has helped your cognitive reasoning of the situations that previously gave you the symptoms? Now that I've started Sertraline I thought I might be on it for the long-run!

Thanks

Rob

• Posted

Hi I know this is an old thread, but I have just started taking 40mg and for a few hours I feel quite spacey and strange feeling? Has anyone else had this? How long will it last? I've only been taking these for 2 days.  But to be honest I wasn't sure if it was just me being anxious taking them! Because I am a worry pants 😜 

Thanks 

• Posted

Hey Kim,

I started taking this about a week ago. I got the spaced out feeling for the first 3 or so days, but now I'm able to concentrate a lot better. Do you eat regularly throughout the day? I'm much better with breakfast (and second breakfast). I'm still not able to concentrate completely as normal, so I may go see my doctor again in a week and see what she suggests. It's really helping with the panic though - I've even tackled spiders!

• Posted

Hi, yes I eat regular.  The feeling did stop about lunch time but was a weird feeling. But I wandered if I should take a night? But then would I Benifit from that? 

Don't think I will ever tackle spiders! 😜

• Posted

I took Propranalol a few years ago for a genetic tremor (no approved meds for this). I became increasingly spaced out and like walking around in a fog. It got worse the longer I took it, and I would wake up with leg cramps as the drug wore off at night. It became hard to remember lines (I did live theatre)I never had an "anxiety" problem as stage fright never bothered me - to me it was anticipation that was easily calmed down by jumping up and down to burn off the extra excitement. 

Propranalol slows down your heart rate. It is basically for high blood pressure and to subdue an overactive thyroid. There are magnesium sprays or powders (not pills) that are effective for anxiety that work very well.

• Posted

Hi kim, how many tablets a day was you taking and how many mg per tablet if you dont mind me asking..... my doctor told me to take 3x40mg a day but im thinking thats abit to much x
    • Posted

pls can you tell me more about the magnisium spray and powders. thanks

• Posted

Hi Mary!

I have a similar case as you. I took  Propranalol, beta blockers  for one year for essential tremors in left hand. My situation exactly became like yours. I was dreadful and filled with feelings of doom and this went on for 4 months plus 6 months are stopping taking P.

I stopped them after an year and I am much better now, though the tremors are still there. Are you taking any treatment for your tremors now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.