Propranolol - from devestating anxiety to calm in 1 day

Posted , 154 users are following.

Hi, I am a 36 year old professional male and for the past 3 months I've been suffering with anxiety attacks. I thought the anxiety feelings of panic was actually brought on by low blood sugar but my blood tests came back fine and at that point I realised my issues were linked to anxiety. I am usually a confident person and only ever experienced anxiety when presenting to large groups at work, basically I could feel my heart racing and had an urgent need to leave the room (flight response), I could hold my ground and get through it but it was the worst feeling in the world. Other than presentations I would usually be 100% confident, I go on dates or even interviews with no anxiety but recently I can get the same anxious feelings by just meeting a friend for dinner or taking a phone call. I have had some issues in my personal life which I think have brought these on and also my work has been very quiet lately so I have been pretty isolated - a "big deal" used to be a work presentation and now its just a meeting or even seeing a friend.

My anxiety could range from feeling uncomfortable and uneasy through to a medium panic attack. During a panic attack I can sit there and function but I feel dreadful and its so difficult to articulate myself, I just feel like running out the room. I could spend the weekend with family and my girlfriend and be fine, then head for dinner the same day, with the same people and feel anxious in the restaurant.

My GP prescribed Propranolol, 40mg to take before anxious situations or twice a day, whichever I felt comfortable with. I had been feeling dreadful that week, had a couple of anxiety attacks and had been extreemly restless and unhappy, my sleep was heavily disturbed too and I couldn't eat. I had lost a stone over the past few months, mainly from loss of appetite and from not drinking (due to this making everything worse the following day).

I took a 40mg tab that evening, 2 hours before going out. Within an hour I felt so relaxed, I literally felt like my worries and anxiety was releasing from my body. That evening I had planned to go to the cinema, the building was packed and there was stress getting a ticket. I had felt anxious about this earlier that day (before taking my first Propranolol) but when I arrived I felt in control. I was chatty to the people behind, we got our tickets and I really enjoyed the film - previously I have felt trapped by being in the cinema around lots of people.

I didn't sleep very well that night but the following day I felt fine, I took a tablet with breakfast and headed to work. Certain situations which would cause my anxiety to rise just didn't phase me all day long, I was proactive to try to provoke situations that could cause me to be anxious and nothing happened. I ended up heading to the shops after work and then to visit family at 7pm, by the evening I could feel that the Propranolol was wearing off and I did feel slightly anxious and it was more difficult to talk to family members.

I still need to test the Propranolol during more stressful situations but so far I have been amazed with how effective this drug is. I still feel a little down but my worrying thoughts do not spiral out of control as they used to. When confronted with a tense situation by body just holds its ground like it used to and I seem to be able to get through anything now. I get a little tingling feeling, as if my body is trying to make me feel anxious, but it just gets no momentum and this then gives me confidence to continue. Propranolol is such an amazing drug.

Side effects wise I have had disturbed sleep and a slight aching round by my kidneys. No sweating, sexual disfunction, irritability etc - everything feels fine. I actually didn't take a tablet last night and slept really well but I did feel anxious for an hour this morning until the tablet kicked in. I think I am going to take it twice daily to have some regularity and make sure I take this early enough for it to kick in before my first meeting each day.

I realise that Propranolol isn't fixing the root issue and I plan to have counciling in the next few weeks (GP is sorting that out). I do think that Propranolol has enabled me to get my life back on track, I can go to work, see friends and lead a normal life whereas just a week ago I was thinking I'd have to give up work and possibly move back in with my parents for them to look after me, that seems crazy now looking back.

I would strongly recommend Propranolol to anyone suffering with anxiety, panic attacks or possibly even to help get through tough presentations or interviews.

That's me story, I will come back and add updates - anyone else had similar experiences?

46 likes, 203 replies

203 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi - so nice to read everyone's stories.

I have suffered from anxiety for a very long time.  I am currently on Paxil and Mirtazapine.  My main symptoms is muscle tightness in my shoulders (which i can live with) and NAUSEA ...it is the worst.  It makes me feel like I could throw up any minute...although I don't throw up, it sure feels like I will each time.

Anyway, has this helped anyone else with the nausea related to anxiety ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated !

• Posted

Hi all, it's so nice to read these stories as i felt so alone. I still want to talk to someone about this who has/is sufferering.

A little about mysef...my symptons started in October 2013 when i felt quite unwell and sick and ended up in ER. After lots of tests they gave me the all clear and sent me home. Still not convinced my GP said i am suffering from anxiety. I am usually a calm guy, very chilled as most people who know me always say.

I think i have always been a worrier/anxious person inside, to be honest i think i had it under control but certain events early last year (2013) i think triggered this. I suffered major trauma to the mind and felt so lost but still had to put on a brave face, pretend like nothing happened and carry on at work. It's the physical symptoms that triggered my visit to ER.

I still suffer from them, GP prescribed Propranolol 10mg to take as and when i need it. I do find it calms me and helps me sleep as usually when i get into bed my mind takes over and i can be awake for hours.

My symptoms are as follows: slight light headedness, spaced out a little i guess, strange feelings in my arms and legs, muscle twitches in arms and eyelid (sometimes) left arm feels tense and goes up to shoulder. A worry at first as i thought i was having a heart attack.

Like something bad is going to happen, the feeling of being lost.

Does anyone have the following feeling, sinking feeling in lower tummy and like a muscle contraction in lower abdomen? Like a scared feeling?

I have described these to my GP and he thinks my slight tummy upset is caused by anxiety, although i keep thinking there is something physically wrong with me. I am planning a private checkup to make sure my plumbing and tummy is all fine. If they are and there are no physical problems then it has to be anxiety / depression. I will update on that.

P 10mg does help, my GP prescribed 3 a day but i only take when i feel a bit weird as i want to fight it, in all my life i never have taken any medication and still dont want to believe it.

sitting here writing this has made me anxious and i have taken a pill about an hour ago. Dont feel 100% but feel relaxed a little.

Excercise also helps i have noticed.

I know i am not alone in this, it's not a nice feeling, i've not even told my best friends about this, they think i have become boring and don't go out anymore but the truth is i feel uncomfortable when i am surrounded by a lot of people.

I wish you all the best of luck 

• Posted

Hi saleeper

Sorry to hear of the way you are feeling ! 

It does get you down as I too thought I had something wrong and thought I was going mad! I get very light headed and dreamy like and now when I go to restaurants I find it hard to swallow foods so now I try to avoid this,  I also get the mussle things in my tummy and feel like my chest is tight and can't breath! Like you I always worry about everything but has got worse since my mum passed away 4 years ago! 

I've stopped taking the tablet as made me feel weird but am thinking of taking at night instead ? Someone has told me to try calms instead? 

It's hard as unless you have ever suffered I don't think people really know how you feel! 

Thanks 

• Posted

Hiya

Thank you, guess you know how i feel !

I am very sorry about your mum passing, life changing events like that are hard to manage with the day to day stresses we deal with. Life just throws all sorts of things in the mix leaving us to deal with. My situation i know is more in my head, i know that - need a way to fix it !

I keep talking myself into not to worry, but find it hard to stop - it's crazy!

I must be going mad as i think i have convinced myself there is something wrong with me, proof from tests will only assure me i guess.

I noticed you were prescribed 40mg, my GP prescribed 10mg which as i understand is a very low dose. When i take a pill i usually time an hour as by then it starts to kick in. What i notice is that it takes the 'edge' off, feel more relaxed and thats why i take one (not every night mind you) at night. I lay in bed, try to clear my mind and the pill calms me to sleep. 

Maybe a lower dose may work better for you ?

I'm not a medical professional so cannot comment but maybe have a word with your GP about 10mg. Looked up Calms just now, sounds alright but maybe check with your GP before you take anything.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi

I was convinced something was always wrong with me too! Has your doctor suggested counselling?  Took me ages to realise it was anxiety although my B12 was low too which didn't help! 

I may go back and ask for a smaller dose? Or maybe take half? 

Thanks 

• Posted

I suffered with anger attacks for 30 years.

I am taking propranolol to 4 days.

The results are being very good.

The will to kill and the fury back from time to time.

I take 40 mg twice daily.

I had no side effects, I drink lots of water or tea.

Until now it has blocked 80% of attacks and believe that soon I can get to 95%.

Hate gives me pleasure.

Blockade of beta-adrenergic receptors are the key to the success of drug, hell is going away, I'm already starting to see the gates of paradise of calm.

The main advantage is the absence of the effects of psychotropic drugs.

• Posted

Hey folks. Just wait till you've been on Propranalol a while. It only took me 4 months to go from being an energetic person to a zombie. The drug caused brain fog, dizziness, cramps in my legs at night (withdrawal symtom), nausea, lethargy, and extreme weight gain. It is a beta-blocker that works by suppressing your heart rate. It was given to me for essential tremor, but did NOTHING for the tremor. It is also used for hyperthyroidism as it suppresses your thyroidm (thus causing weight gain) I gained over 30 pounds in 4 months, most of it in the last month I took it at a dose of 60. I felt like a limp dish rag, and had severe fatigue with this drug..

There are better drugs for anxiety and hypertension. This one is really bad. 

• Posted

Our experiences are very similar,

I increased the dose of 80mg to 120mg in early

Now I reduced to 80mg again

I can sleep well now.

I take a dose at 12:00 AM and another at 8:00 PM.

• Posted

I realize that your post is over a year old, but it is very valid to me today...  I am using Propranolol for anxiety and for the tapering off from narcotic pain medication following a broken foot.  Anxiety is anxiety, pure and simple... And your post reminded me that one can feel better - in fact, good enough to do the "simple" things like work and going to the movies.  I am an American with British roots (parents from England) and have joined this group...  Thank you again for your post!  Bear 
  • Posted

Hi, I have started taking propranalol this week, i have been suffering with panic attacks for about a year now. Like everyone i have my good and bad days.

You know you have to do something about it when going to your local shops become a terryfying thought.

I have only taken 10mg twice a day so far. if im honest i cant see a chance as quick as people are saying they can.

I just want to feel normal...........................any pills for that?!!

• Posted

If you are not having results with propranolol

use diazepam may be the solution

10mg when the attacks began.

Diazepam let you a bit slow at the beginning

But with the passage of time

you will think you are in paradise.

• Posted

i have asked for diazepem but my doctoer will not give them to me.

i have used them for fyling and they are brill, but the doctor says they are to addictive so will not prescribe

• Posted

I use diazepam 30 years ago.

Never became addicted.

It will let you in stage of incredible peace.

Only use when the attacks began.

Always take one before sleeping.

When you want Bebr álcoool

Stay at least 12 hours without taking.

I have over 30 years of experience with it.

I know more than your doctor.

• Posted

I use diazepam over 30 years.

I never became addicted.

It will let you in stage of incredible peace.

Only use when the attacks began.

Always take one before sleeping.

When you want to drink alcohol

Stay at least 12 hours without taking.

I have over 30 years of experience with it.

I know more than your doctor.

• Posted

i ahve the same issue with my doctor and the Diazepem!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.