propranolol side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

ive been taking 20mg of propranolol for the last three days i feel depressed, im still experiencing a bit of anxiety and i feel like im drunk very light headed could this be because it lowers your blood pressure? im scared to keep taking it if this is the side effects its giving me, has anyone experienced these side effects?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This medicine puts your body in a bit of shock as it re regulates your blood pressure and system. It take a while before you feel yourself again. I tried it and stopped it by day 6 (beta blocker) everyone is different. I couldnt stand the side effects. Some people do love it though so its up to how you feel.
    • Posted

yeah i dont think ill continue to take it for long im not liking the way its making me feel, how do u come off it without messing up your system? thanks so much
    • Posted

At day six my doctor told me to throw it out and i did.i had odd issue with it grabbing onto my digestive system issue so it wasnt going to work out for me. Its a very short time. Took about four days to feel normal after that. Just wasnt for me. You can call your doctor and tell you him you cant stand it and are stopping it. There are other medicines, your doctor was just trying to alleviate your physical anxiety symptoms. Please let the doctor know.
    • Posted

Yeah i cant sleep with it my heart is racing when i woke up would i be able to take 10mg instead of the 20mg until i get in contact with my doctor?
  • Posted

I would call your doctor. Tell your symptoms. Your doctor will either tell you to stop taking it or lower the dosage?
    • Posted

yeah i cant get in contact with my doctor so for today i dont know should i take it still even 10mg instead of 20?
  • Posted

Hi, Megan:  I take it because of a fast heartbeat, due to anxiety.  I started out with a very low dosage and worked up to a whole one..can't think of the dosage, but it is good for your heart to keep that pulse down.  It also helps prevent panic attacks.  I'm having major surgery on the 19th of this month, and that is the med that they said to be sure to take right before surgery.  Helps prevent heart attacks.  In my opinion, the side effects are worth it because eventually your body will adjust to it and you will have less anxiety and fast heart beats...Hope this helps...

• Posted

Hi carole,thank u for replying best of luck with your surgery, thats why i started on it too because my heart races when i have anxiety but its usually ok when i dont but ive been having major anxiety recently..i havent been able to sleep i feel like its having an affect on my breathing and i woke up with my heart racing so i think its making me worse if i took 10mg today instead of 20mg would that be ok until i can get in contact with my doctor?
    • Posted

You are very welcome, Megan.  I would ask your doctor, but a lower dosage, IMO, would be good until your body adjusts to the new drug.  Actually, that is supposed to keep your pulse from racing.  If I skipped mine, I would have a racing heart all day long.  Thank you for your best wishes on my surgery.  I am getting a bit anxious about it now because it is only a week away.  My doctor said to be sure and take one, a Xanax and a Prilosec before surgery to keep my heart stable.  Keep in touch, please.  My surgery is the 19th, so I hope on the 20th I can get on here for a bit.   HUGs.

• Posted

Hi carole i havent been able to contact my doctor as she isnt in until wednesday i havent taken any more since saturday, i feel ok today just now feeling a bit shaky heart is fast would i have side effects from stopping after 3 days? hope everything goes well for u x
  • Posted

I doubt that your blood pressure would change a  lot unless you are always fired up and upset. It could affect your brain with the sluggish feelings though.  Give it time and you will adjust to it.
    • Posted

It starts immediately but settles in your blood levels over a couple of weeks to adjust. You need to speak with your doctor. A lower dose might work. Many start in lower dosages first. Ir it might not be for you. There are many other meds available. So hopefully you can reach your doctor within a day and discuss this. 
    • Posted

I cant speak to my doctor until tommorow, she said other meds are addictive so thats why she put me on it i havent taken any today so im worrying about the effects of suddenly stopping will it be harmful?
    • Posted

Most doctors do have a on call service. This is a valid situation.
    • Posted

Third day? I stopped at day day six and i remeber i felt better and better. Ignore anything for a couple of days. Im not a doctor but they told me to throw them out at day six i was fine.you only used then 3 days. You should call the emergency number. And they have other bp meds they use too for anxiety its not the only one. Many ppl with blood pressure issues have to go thru a few before one works out. I hated it. Absolutely couldnt stand the beta blockers. I chose nothing to be hinest. The emergency xanax. You dont have to be on medicine. It isnt even a cure it calm the symtoms sometimes. You already see side effects occur, thats how it is with pills. There is a trade off. Is there anyway you can manage this on your own? With lots of therapy or cbt? An anxiety diet is even helpful. There are naturual calming alternatives too. 
    • Posted

Im so sorry. Thats terrible. Tomorrow is close.you call when you wake up. In terms of anti anxiety diet to help and stop theres a woman on here cia that knows a lot about this.
    • Posted

Hi lisa no she wont be in until wednesday sad ive been feeling ok except my heart rate at rest is a lot higher than normal so i rang a ddoc and they couldnt help unless i went to see them, did u find your heart went up when u stopped?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.