propranolol withdrawal

Posted , 106 users are following.

As anybody experienced any withdrawal symptoms when withdrawing from small doses?

5 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have just stopped taking it 5 days ago.. no side effects... what i have got is energy to burn again thank god... and hopefully the weight i put on from it will come off too
  • Edited

I know this was a few months back but I'm hoping someone reads this... I've been taking propranalol for 2 weeks but they made me feel awful I e low mood, feeling ill, weak. So I decided to just stop taking them seeing as i had only taken them for a short space of time... but I was wrong I'm having withdrawals I'm very shakey... feeling weak, vomiting. Anyone know how long this will last?

• Posted

I am having the same problem I hate this drug ! How long does this s**t last I been off then a day ! I feel like complete s**t
    • Posted

Hi have no idea. I was given them for panic attacks (turns out they were from quitting smoking I just never linked the two and thought the anxiety was out of nowhere from other stress) Dr put me on 40mg 3 times a day! I thought it was a bit much because I'm smaller. I felt like i was dying. Slowed heart rate, always freezing, mega tremors, horrible nightmares, extreme extreme EXTREME anxiety. When I would call the gp they just said it was due to anxiety... but I knew it was from propranolol. I was so scared for my life and GPs basically blacklisted me and just said to light candles and have a bath. I weaned myself off them after 2 weeks of pure hell. It's been almost 5 months and I physically feel 100% better but my mental health still suffers badly at times. Depression and derealization can be really bad. Comes in waves. I'm going through another bought of it right now, been 2 weeks depressed and sometimes can feel zero emotions. I feel like I can't connect to anyone even my husband because I can't feel what oth3rs feel. I have heard withdrawals can take 6 months to a year because your brain is rewiring (which it is designed to do) and the feel good hormones are very lazy to adjust. 6 months minimum (like when girls try new birth control methods... take 6 months to see what they are like) so I am tying to just keep going with the 6-8 month mark in mind. Hope you are feeling better bit by bit.

• Edited

Hey Leanne, I know it's been a while, but did experience your heart pounding when you first stopped Propranolol? Like when you stood up or moved around too much? I quit last week and am experiencing a lot of side effects - just wanted some reassurance that it went away for you! Thanks 😃

• Posted

i am tapering off of 80mg capsules and i am experiencing pounding heart and some chest pain; how long did it take you to feel better?

• Posted

Hi there, I know this is an old post but did this all go away eventually for you? xx

• Posted

Hi there. I was on propranolol 4mg 3 times a day for migraine prevention, for around a year. It worked for the migraines but around 3 weeks ago I started having very faint episodes resulting in the doctors advising that I reduce propranolol to 40mg a day. I reduced sort of gradually, but maybe nut gradually enough. I'm actually now on 30mg/day (in 3 doses of 10mg) and have been for around a week. I'm feeling very very dizzy, breathless and have intermittent feelings of panic (generally when I feel very dizzy). I've also got no appetite. I'm signed off work because I can't handle the commute feeling like this. Could this be propranolol withdrawal symptoms?? My GP didn't have much to say really! I'm under investigation for the faintness... If anyone has had similar effects of coming off or reducing propranolol I would like to hear, as I'm starting to worry about my health!

Selina

• Posted

I remember feeling terrible mentally when I reduced my doses... I was only on propranol for about a week before I decided to come off it... I halved the dose each week for 3 weeks. Maybe it is the propranolol leaving the system tho because what you are describing exactly what I felt! It was horrible. You feel like you are going crazy, like mental hospital for life crazy. But it's been 5 months now that I've been off it and I'm still adjusting but OMG I'm a million times better. I hate propranolol. Hope you're feeling better soon. I had no appetite too and... well... I had diorhea the whole time) panic was BAD. But that all goes away and will slowly get back to normal. It's really hard but there's nothing to do but take it day by day. And knowing it will subside will help. Look up PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) alot of articles you find will be about recreational drug withdrawal but it's the same w any substance really. Good luck. <3

• Posted

Hey Leanne, I know it's been a while, but did experience your heart pounding when you first stopped Propranolol? Like when you stood up or moved around too much? I quit last week and am experiencing a lot of side effects, especially breathlessness - just wanted some reassurance that it went away for you! Thanks 😃

• Posted

Hi I know its been awhile since you been on here but how did you cope with the side affects throughout the time ...... And like more less when did you start to notice a change in your anxiety?

• Posted

i am not sure i have gotten over the side effects still, 3 weeks on. i am not sure i have got tinnitus or brain shivers where i have got what seems like shivers or palpalatations in my head. i must have seen the GP so many times and now resorted to private consultants as this buzz/shiver in my head is driving me crazy it has gotten better over the last week but still have the effects. initially i was paranoid as one side effect was calf swelling up which i thought was DVT and i thought something horrible would happen in my sleep so i tool aspirin as blood was thinning with aspirin. this made my head even more light headed. i was that paranoid which is so unlike me. the paranoia has dissipated but still not normal . take some magnesium tablets

• Edited

I've been taken 10mg for 2 weeks and I haven't taken any for 2 days experienceing really got sensations through out my body and feel incredibly anxious can anyone help with this 

• Edited

Sounds like it's just what happens when you come off it... happened to me too and others on here. It's so horrible but IT. WILL. PASS. I promise! 10mg isn't that much so maybe won't last too long or get too much worse.. just post here if you need to talk, I'll reply.

• Posted

I wasn't ment to come off it the hospital made me go back on it as my hole body was on fire it's so horrible 

• Posted

Hey BannersMom, I know it's been a while, but did experience your heart pounding when you first stopped Propranolol? Like when you stood up or moved around too much? I quit last week and am experiencing a lot of side effects, especially breathlessness - just wanted some reassurance that it went away for you! Thanks 😃

• Posted

Hi I FEEL HORRIBLE! anxiety is through the roof .... how did you cope?

• Posted

hii man i took 10 mg twice a day am feeling sleepless ,how long does it take to be ok. plz help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.