propranolol withdrawal

Posted , 106 users are following.

As anybody experienced any withdrawal symptoms when withdrawing from small doses?

5 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sounds like it's just what happens when you come off it... happened to me too and others on here. It's so horrible but IT. WILL. PASS. I promise! 10mg isn't that much so maybe won't last too long or get too much worse.. just post here if you need to talk, I'll reply.

• Posted

Hey, how is your condition now?

I have this question..

I had typhoid around 2 weeks back with some full-head headache. So, I guess my doctor prescribed 10mg propranolol per day for the headaches. I discontinued the tabs after around just 6-7 days on it. But now I'm experiencing withdrawl symptoms. My question is how long will they persist for such a short dose and short period of intake? Or should I go off taking still smaller doses? But I want to stop this scary drug.

[Background: I'm a very healthy and fit person, 22 years of age. Didn't take even a single medicine for an entire year before this. I had no anxiety or migraine disorder or any heart related problem and I'm always a happy and in good mood.]

Any help will be highly appreciated.? 

• Posted

I was on 10mg 3x a day for anxiety for a week to see if this drug suited me and then i asked the doctor if i could just take it as and when needed before an anxious situation rather than daily as didn't want to be too reliant on this drug, she said thats fine. I gradually withdrew by taking 20mg then 10mg a day for a week then eventually none but keep experiencing fast heart rate every so often and feel really tired like i could just sit or sleep all day, anyone else had this? does it get better?

• Posted

yes, currently dealing with it at the moment, i was on 20mg and stopped, what a nightmare since sinus tachacardia panic attacks. im on veraprimil and Digoxin to get my rate under control, so if you are experiencing any of this i feel truly sorry for you, all i can hope for is that it ends soon, I'm. does on day 4 does anyone know how long it lasts for ?

😦

• Posted

is it better now. i am also experiencing increased heart rate after stopping a week back

• Posted

No, I was on 40mg 3 times a day for 2 years and stopped taking it with no issues.

I reduced to two times a day for two weeks, then once a day for two weeks, then stopped.

• Posted

hello, ive stumbled upon this post. Im on alot of other anxiety medication. diazepam and pregabaline and mirtazapine. my doctor has stopped my Propranolol which is 40mg. Im waking early and my heart is racing. I dont know of its normal or if i shpuld have been weened off.

• Posted

i was on 40 mg per day. even i am experiencing the same side effect. i stopped cold turkey 1 week back. also facing sleep issues

• Edited

i was put on propranolol cause the consultant thought i had anxiety i think it was due to me questioning everything so he mistook that for anxiety i stupidly took this awful awful drug. The idiot of consultant took my blood pressure which was 100/60 and then put me on 80mg twice a day. I should have realised that there was a problem when the pharmacist wouldn't dispense it as it was too high a dosage for someone who hadn't used it but after she spoke to the consultant on the phone she relented.

From the moment i took to the first tablet, it ruined my life from insomnia to blood rushing to my head to muscle twitches, calf swelling and paranoia. If i didn't have anxiety, by golly did i have it now. After 8 days i was told as i hadn't been on it long i can just stop . I am logical and never believed drugs can make you paranoid but this horrible drug made me paranoid . My head felt light, dizzy, muscle twitches and it became a feedback loop. Almost 2 weeks since i last took the last tablet, my head is returning to normal. I dont think that the doctors appreciate what this stuff does . Maybe i was unlucky but the withdrawal was worse than being on it

• Edited

sounds very similar to what i just experienced this past week. went to doctors for anxiety, prescribed 80mg once a day. taking it wad the worst decision of my life. not only was i tired and cold all day but i was hallucinating and having horrific chest pain. in the end i had to go to an emergency doctor because it lowered my heart rate so badly and the chest pain was awful. i spent nights up crying as i was so scared to sleep incase something happened, i literally felt like i was going to have a heart attack. this was all after taking it for six days. he did an ECG and told me to stop taking it immediately. since im 20 and had no previous heart problems he said this was for the best. its been three days of not taking it now and the withdrawal isnt great. my chest still has pains and there are periods like when i walk up the stairs when my heart starts racing uncontrollably. im also extremely anxious now because my heart/chest feels so uncomfortable. not sure when this withdrawal will be over so i can stop panicking and thinking im going to die! wish i had never taken this.

• Posted

i took my last tablet 3 weeks ago and i dont yet feel myself. The doctors will tell you it has a short half life and will be out of your system after a week . i wish they would try it and check for themselves. my paranoia has gone but has left with me either tinnitus or something which has left the left side next to my ears with a low level buzzing which means i cant focus . i would urge anyone to read about this drug before taking it

• Posted

only a week! seven tablets then i had to go to an emergency walk in centre.

• Posted

I was taking propranolol for 14 years and recently stopped taking. I have severe anxiety and nervousness and dizziness since stopping and feel on edge and fast heart rate and pulse.

• Posted

how are you feeling now? and what are you doing to cope with these side effects? I feel really desperate ..... I get this adrenaline and cold sensation in my body.

• Edited

Hello Francis Same problems my heart rate and pulse and blood pressure are up since stopping propranolol and my adreniline and anxiety is crazy and brain fog and dizziness also now getting palpatations from my thyroid medication. Not good trying to get my doctor to do something about it maybe trying atenolol instead one down from propranolol is what I was thinking because I cannot function but need to speak to my doctor first.

• Edited

im four days off it now and i dont feel great. my pulse is racing and i keep getting shooting pains all through the left side of my chest. i have no idea when it will stop since it wad a high 80mg dose and i quit cold turkey. i came here looking for reassurance too because the side effects scare me

• Posted

Hello Brittany yep same problems. was told the shooting nerves was perephial neuropathy . I also have high pulse and heart rate and blood pressure and anxiety beyond crazy and brain fog since stopping propranolol. I was on Propranolol for 14 years and it is very scary. thinking of trying Atenolol one down from propranolol but need to speak to my doctor first. my thyroid medication is worse as well so probably the Propranolol was controlling the thyroid medication side effects.

• Posted

It just takes time your not alone as you can see from the comments we are all going through the same issues or went through it ..... only time will tell the body has to adjust back after all this med is suppose to calm the body then stopping it im pretty sure it throws it off .... stay positive

• Posted

Hello Francis thank you you are right we are all in this I also have problems with my thyroid and for a guy that is unusual. I was told by my doctor it was underactive but I am going through thyroiditis at the moment which is very scary and horrible including nervousness anxiety palpatations fast heart rate and pulse and fatigue brain fog and restlesssness and tiredness because I picked up a virus I got a viral chest infection which has now gone straight to my thyroid.

• Posted

hi, i am currently having this problem, they lowered my HR and the doctor told me to stop taking them im on day 6 now and i feel awful,constant panic heart pounding,feeling cold then warm,im so shaky too. im 23 with no physical health problems, how are you feeling now? do these symptoms go away?

• Posted

hi yes thats how i felt i was on them for 4 weeks and stopped cold turkey anxiety no appetite was bad at the beginning including insomia but it goes away with time im still suffer from it but not as bad its 2 months that i quit

• Posted

hi I was taking propranolol for 4 years,is been 2 and a half months that I have stopped still not back to normal,but I guess not as bad as the first weeks,the thing that is left from all the horrible symptoms is like some sort of intolerance to food which I cant understand I dont feel good after each meal,my bp increases feel dizzy and my heart races,now is less severe than the first weeks obviously but still I wish it to go away completely but is not,I want to feel my normal self again I dont know if it will happen and the worst I cant tolerate sugars at all,my bp goes high and I go tachycardia is so weird all anyone has ever experienced anything like this pos let me know as It it giving me anxiety not knowing whats going on

• Edited

Hi i know its a couple of months since you posted this but I was taking 30-40mg propranolol per day for anxiety for 4 weeks. It made night time terrible for me, agitated, sweating, nervousness and towards the end muscle twitching and numb feelings in my hands! I came off it cold turkey 4 days ago and still have increased anxiety but the muscle twitching is the worst! How long did it take for you before that wore off? Thanks x

• Edited

i was also taking propanolol 4 to 5 weeks 40 mg and had bad anxiety couldnt sit still craziness no appetite but slowly its gotten better its been 10 weeks but each week it gets better everyone is different

• Posted

hi i am trying to stop propranolol and was taking 1 x 40mg a day have reduced to 20mg a day for last 10 days but feel dizzy and habe muscle twitches/cramps is this normal? i want to reduce dosage again but to scared in case symptons get worse

• Posted

hey, did you have chest muscle/diaphragm spasms or anything similar? how long for the elevated heart rate to go away?

• Posted

hi i seem to go tachycardia when i take my medicaction or eat sugar im 7 weeks in now and would lile to lnow if this stoped for you. i also got tinnitus when starting this and i also get adrenaline waves at night when taking antipsycoic

and it males me feel very Uncomfortable in my own skin it makes me feel ill. the worst is over but still there

• Posted

I wish I had never taken this as well. It is like waking up and I am living in the nightmare...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.