propranolol withdrawal

Posted , 106 users are following.

As anybody experienced any withdrawal symptoms when withdrawing from small doses?

5 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Been taking 40 mg for a month then i quit cold turkey due to extreme tirdness but started feeling really anxious was out on at 10 mg but having bad withdrawals how long doesnit last? positive inout would be appreciate please i feel bad!

• Posted

sorry for my spelling errors i havent had sleep...lol

• Posted

Hello Alison my anxiety and panic attacks have been worse since stopping propranolol 3 weeks ago and derealisation is bad at times. wondering how long this lasts?

• Posted

I have been taking 10mg propranolol 2x per day for over a year for anxiety. my anxiety got better now all it does it drop my heart rate to concerning rates. went to emergency rm, was told to ween off. I started taking 1/2 tablet 2x per day. my heart rate has been all over the place. anyone else have this reaction?

• Posted

i took it for a month and been of it for 6 weeks i went cold turkey I was taking 40 mg a day and now I insomia and bad anxiety its been crazy they say it gets better each week which it has but still have those feelings

• Posted

Hi everyone! Is this place really real!?! I'm so glad I stumbled upon it as I've been having such a hard time with this medication. I've been on 60mg/day of propranolol for 4 mos now and JUST got adjusted to the Mylan brand and feeling almost normal after a really rough start. Then WHAM, my refill came in "Dan" a month ago. He has really made everything so much worse for me since! I've been having the worst reflux/indigestion, heart rate was gradually decreasing as well. I had to go to urgent care to treat me this past weekend. I was told by the cardiologist's nurse Fri to stop taking it due to my symptoms but heart rate shot right up after only a day 1/2 without it (head was pounding, H.R. went up to 130s in the shower just shampooing and shaving my legs *eyeroll) . I was put on it due to chest pain, palpitations, and increased heart rate. Urgent care said my throat and chest symptoms sounded like GI issues and after giving me some relief with a gross concoction said if I felt comfortable then maybe try continue taking it due to HR rise and even tried to write me a rx for the brand name only to no avail (they don't make it anymore). Started Dan again Sun morning (just 40mg this time to try and ease back into it) for the increased heart rate and here's my GI acting up again only now, what the ER doc gave me didn't work this time 😦 nothing has helped today. I'm so nervous to stop taking it but I think I have to at this point. The nurse from my cardiologists office never followed back up with me Mon or today (she seemed super perturbed on Fri when she called me back about the side effects from Dan). I even called the pharmacy and got them to give me the Mylan brand again. I took one dose this evening but I don't think I can stand this GI crap any longer. It sure felt good to get that GI relief if only for half a day)! I don't know what effects are worse at this point! Sorry for the super long post but I was just feeling really alone in this. I hope everyone's either finally feeling better from getting off of this or at least starting to!! Thanks so much for sharing your stories, it's helped calm my anxiety at least lol!

• Posted

i was taking propranolol 40mg 3x daily for anxiety for 3 months. the first month it didnt effect me and i went back to the GP who upped the dose to 80mg 2x daily... i went back to the GP a month later to be told they had lowered my HR so he dropped them back to 40mg 3x daily- last week i had to call an ambulance because i had a massive panic attack. the ECG was fine but HR still low. i went to my GP the next day i had a panic attack whilst sat in his office. he told me to stop taking the propranolol straight away. it takes 1-2days to be out of your system but side effects last upto a week. i am on day 6 without the propranolol and i feel AWFUL! in the past 2 days i have had panic attack one after another, my heart is racing, i put a minute timer on my phone and count the beats.. i count 64bmp at rest but as soon as i do a little something my heart pounds and my attack starts again! i hope you start to feel better soon.

• Posted

hi i was on propanolol 40 mg a day for a month stopped cold turkey due to slow heart rate was taking it for migraines......its been 2 months and i can say its gotten better not as bad as the beginning but im now suffering from low moods and a little anxiety not like at the beginning though

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I'm SO sorry to hear about your attacks, I don't think everyone quite understands how real and scary they are! They can be such a vicious cycle and interfere with everything. My doctor actually called to check in with me today and I asked if we could just pause the meds for now until I see the ENT to check if my thyroid may be the cause and see what they suggest for treatment if so. And of course I need this GI issue taken care of before I'll feel comfortable taking it regularly again. Talking to him made me feel so much better! I really hope you start feeling better soon too! We've all got this especially with this wonderful little support system! I don't know if it'll work for you but I listened to calming anxiety meditations last night for my anxiety attack and it eventually lulled me to sleep as it kept my mind focused on their guided words and the visualizations, I was really surprised when I woke up that I had actually fallen asleep! I'll try almost anything when it's at a certain point. Anyway, I just hope you can find some relief soon!

• Posted

Frances, thank you for sharing your progress...it gives me hope! I hope that you can get back to a good place soon and start feeling better!

• Posted

i am going to come off propanalol because after being on it for about 20 years it has suddenly given me a wheeze not all the time but sometimes and also so tired all the time. I am going to take one slow release capsule less every month - today I havent had one and will take normally again one every morning for a month then I will miss a capsule saturday and Wednesday for a month minus the two tablets and will do that for a month at a time until I am off them.

How does other people come off them I also read if you stop them it can cause heart attacks

• Posted

Hi Olive, the nurse at my cardiologist's office told me to just stop taking them after telling her my heart rate was dropping after the brand name changed at my refill and describing some issues I was having to her (urgent care said sounded like GI issues). My heart rate started going back up after a day of not taking them and urgent care said to try going back on it if I felt comfortable so, I tried it again about a day after they gave me GI relief. The second I restarted it my GI issues came back so I tried taking it sparingly and even got the pharmacy to get me the original brand I started on. I only took one dose of it before my cardiologist called a couple of days ago and told me that if I was still feeling bad that I could stop taking it if I wanted or try another med. I said I'd rather just stop as I have been wuite miserable the last month. The first time I stopped (before going to urgent care to make sure my heart was ok and that it indeed was just reflux or indigestion) I felt AWFUL! Head pounding, elevated heart rate. But, this second time around I feel better finally although it could be because I had already started taking less about a week or two before talking to my doctor's office. I was on 20mg 3x/day for four months. The past month I started taking only two or one on the days my stomach issues would get really bad and back to 3 only when my anxiety would get the best of me but that just made me feel worse due to the GI issues this other brand had given me. I was only taking mine for palpitations, fast heart rate/anxiety, and slight bp issues. He said my heart was otherwise fine and I was only taking them to mask the other aforementioned symptoms so if it was making me feel bad then why keep taking it. He didn't seem concerned for me to stop taking it immediately and his nurse SURE wasn't concerned about telling me to just quit (I think she was a bit annoyed about my complaint of the new brand giving me greater side effects than the original). I've been off them for a few days now and don't feel super great but I also don't feel like I'm dying. My tummy stuff has eased a little at least so to me, that alone was worth it! I've had anxiety attacks here and there, chest pains, slight palpitations (anxiety is definitely higher than before I started the meds, chest pains started back up again after my refill, and palpitations not any worse than when while on this refill anyway), and I notice my heart rate (resting and active) are inconsistent and obviously a little higher now but bp seems to be doing alright most days. To me, the only thing this thing helped me with was my heart rate and sometimes my bp. The original rx helped my palpitations significantly and chest pains were less but those two went down the drain with the new brand so. I've had greater anxiety for most of the four months and especially in the last week than I did before taking this. Sorry so long but I hope that helps a little? If not, I'm sorry but I hope your strategy works for you and that you will have an easy transition off of them!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.