propranolol withdrawal

Posted , 106 users are following.

As anybody experienced any withdrawal symptoms when withdrawing from small doses?

5 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

So its clear that this thread has not been updated for a while but its helped me a heck of a lot and i promised myself when i felt a bit better i would share my story so here goes.

My name is nathan im 19 and live in the uk.

I was blindly prescribed these devil tablets for what i now know was a pulled muscle in my chest as my gp couldnt see me in person because of covid-19. What a mistake that was because i've never suffered with anxiety/palpatations or anything which would warrant these tablets in my life. i was prescribed 40mg 4x a day and on the first day i took 3 and on the second day i took 2 when at about 10pm that night i suddenly became very faint and lost all the colour in my entire body and had a heart rate of about 40-44 bpm. i quickly phoned 111 and with the advice of that phoned me back later that night i ceased taking them all together and immediately went to accident and emergency the following morning for some blood tests, my first of many ecgs and a chest xray which all came back fine aside from the ecg which showed my heart rate beating irratically and a lot faster than usual. This was only the beginning. i quickly deteriorated and had a heart rate of around 130-160 constantly and so on the 4th night after stopping these god awful tablets i phoned 999 as i was genuinely fearful for my life and after i described my situation to them an ambulance was dispatched to my location, upon their arrival i was in a total state having not eaten or slept at all for 4 days straight and after theyd done some tests i was taken to hospital. When i arrived they tested my blood for what sounded like everything under the sun which all came back normal and the ecg was again higher than usual of around 100 bpm and so i was discharged the following morning by which point id managed to get all of about 2 hours sleep out of pure and utter exhaustion. i was told by the doctor that dealt with me that i hadnt noticed a change in myself by the following evening that i was to come back to again have an ecg and check that i wasnt in any immediate danger. so i did just that and the 2nd doctor i saw wasnt happy with my symptoms at all and recommended i came back the following morning at 8:30 to have a heart echo done. the echo came back totally normal and so i sat there crying my eyes out feeling that id come no further forward at all but my mum managed to convince me that this wouldnt last forever and that by allowing myself to get worked up i was only feeding the symptoms and so that night on the 7th day after stopping i finally managed to get a half decent night sleep. the following day wasnt too bad id managed to eat a small portion of food and was feeling pretty good about myself until i got this immense tight feeling in my thighs and lower calves which i thought because i hadnt been very active when im used to working as a builder 5 days a week and hadnt worked for over a week and at this moment in time i still am unsure as to what caused this but then my legs became extremely cold and i had this sensation as if all the blood had literally left my legs and my feet became extremely cold also. Over next couple of days these weird symptoms began to subside and my heart gradually came down to around 80-90 (still very high for me) and i began to feel a bit better as id gotten my appetite back and had 2 good nights sleep. fast forward another day or two to yesterday where i began what im calling an "episode" where my heart wasnt going espescially fast but still felt as if it was pounding immensely and this hasnt changed a great deal at this current moment in time but i am making improvements as each day goes by. I know im not out of the woods yet and id be surprised if anyone ever reads this but if you do take it from me that even when it doesnt feel like it that it will get better with time as your body adjusts, ive had moments where i felt like i was going to die but just know that youll be okay in the end. i know ive probably bored whomever may or may not read this half to death but ive never suffered with anything in the way i have with this and i just felt right to put it out there for people to see.

just hang in there and you will notice small improvements everyday and know that youre not alone and eventually you will feel normal again

• Posted

hiya alison i was having bad chest pains and went to hospital came back and doc put me on propranlol 3 times a day 40g in total was only on for 11 days felt strange couldnt think straight and no balance ive decided to cut it down to 15g a day for 2 days then ive stopped i havent had any for 2 days but i still feel just as bad got postnal drip and always trying to clear my throat . I was on these when i had thyroid problem for 2 years and had no problem with them and was on 40g twice a day so cant understand why they are making me worse .

• Posted

ive had a terrible reaction to them, literally every symptom listed plus some x

• Posted

hiya toria are u still on them how long was u on them for and how much . it shocking all the comments ive read

• Posted

how long did it take to recover? did the heart racing gradually subside or just disappear?

• Posted

i know this thread is old but i'm experiencing this right now too. I've had insomnia, anxiety, and nausea. I feel horrible! reading this thread it seems this will last about two weeks. I was on slow release 80mg for 4 weeks and doc said i can come straight off. Can anyone assure me this will get better? or anyone going through this too?

• Posted

hi i was on 40mg a day and reduced to 20mg and had headache, dizziness and felt rubbish for about 5 days but is now a month on and feel fine. however i am worried about the last bit and going cold turkey with no propranolol

• Posted

I was on 10mg to treat anxiety for like a month and a half. I have been off it for 2 days and feel terrible. My resting heart beat is as twice as fast as before, anxiety and an increase in blood pressure (140/90) which makes my anxiety even worse!

• Posted

I have not managed to find anyone in a similar situation to myself. I am 22 - female and have been taking propranolol for 6 years for essential tremor. my original symptoms were feeling suddenly so energised that everything in my body HAS to move and would get incredibly frustrated at my hands shaking. I remember feeling tired when i first began the propranolol and kind of like i was high all the time but this soon wore off. I was originally prescribed 80mg a day but consistently only took 40mg every day the last 6 years.

When i do not take a tablet (i usually take one in the late morning) by 1pm my heart will be beating so fast, my tremor will not just be in my hand it is all over my body even in my voice, i can not sit down, i feel sick and its just generally awful i honestly feel as if i will die if i dont take it. i am so shocked i was not aware of all this happening to me when i first started taking it. It is now literally impossible for me to forget to take it.

i have been on a journey with my gp the last 3 months to gradually take myself off it and have been taking only 20mg a day for almost a month which 3 months ago i would have never thought i could do. i still feel physical symptoms of taking a lower dose everyday. If this medication isnt vital to your health i strongly recommend not taking it. I would say research and choose for yourself but i have tried to find people or examples like my current situation and there just isnt enough research about how physically draining it can be. my heart feels like it is doing 1000 beats a minute to the point i can hear it in my ears and feel it in my mouth. i feel addicted by this medicine and only the last year have started to question if its changing who i am. i am partly convinced my heart rate will always be high if i completely stop taking it. Anyway i hope this helps someone.

• Edited

HI JAYNE, I was also prescribed this drug for essential tremor. I am 68 year old male and had had tremor most of my life but only got diagnosed with it 5 year ago when it started to get worse. To be fair propranolol helped with the tremors and still does but for the last 4-5 months the side effects have become very noticeable. Fatigue , loss of concentration, feeling spaced out etc.I take 10 mg x 3 times daily.Over the last 6 weeks I have gradually weaned myself off them, taking my last one 4 days ago. I am now however feeling terrible, very shaky all over, virtually unable to drink from a cup or use knife and fork. Very tempted to take a tablet. My plan is to see doctor and ask if I can change medication to Primidone as this is supposed to be as effective as Propranolol. Hope you are getting on O/K.

Frank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.