propranolol withdrawal

Posted , 106 users are following.

As anybody experienced any withdrawal symptoms when withdrawing from small doses?

5 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there. So I was on 10mgs a day and my doctor told me to stop taking them as I'd only been on them for a couple of months. A week or so in I started to experience a really bad burning sensation in my upper body and arms which wasn't very pleasant. I suffer with bad anxiety but it didn't feel like that. it was a bad burning sensation. A few days later i ended up in a&e with a spike in my blood pressure. i take this medicine foe mitral regurgitation not anxiety. The doctor put me back on them. I have now been taking them for about 3 months and tried to reduce them slowly as they make me quite breathless. Very quickly, I started having the burning sensation, quite depressed etc. I decided to go back to the prescribed dose about a week ago only having reduced the dose for 4 days and am still experiencing the burning sensation which woke me up last night. Has anybody had similar symptoms?

• Posted

Hi i just stopped after 8 weeks on 40mg a day my heart rate is around 95 but rises easily to 110 -120 when i do stuff , only been off 2 days and hoping this goes down soon. I was on 120 a day a year ago and gradually came off without problems , but stupidly stopped amlodipine too and my bp went through roof eventually , so now amlodipine to keep bp okay, , am not as anxious it was the weight gain why i an stopping

• Posted

how are you doing now?

I was on 40mg per day for only about 4 weeks. I stopped it cold 9 days ago. I felt okay for the first 5 days or so (a little heart racing), but then started getting much worse withdrawal symptoms. I'm on day 9 since stopping now and the last 3 days have actually been the worst. my blood pressure drops and heart rate goes up whenever I stand. my heart races consistently when i walk around and try to do anything. i can no longer get anything done. i also have these cold sweats and sometimes chest pain on the left side. and I'm getting headaches when I stand. it's horrible. i was fine before taking this med. seems like the rate of improvement is a little different for everyone, but i'm wondering how long these withdrawal symptoms last in most people who were not on the drug that long. wish people who posted a while back would update and let us know how long it all lasted.

• Edited

Had brain stem migraine since childhood. Mid 30s had vertigo caused by migraines and couldn't live with symptoms so was put on propranolol. Got up to 160mg per day slow release then after 4 years reduced down to 80mg per day slow release. Still get migraines but symptoms not as bad and vertigo completely stopped. So a month ago I weaned myself off. 2 weeks at 80mg, 2 weeks at 40mg then off completely. Have had palpitations every night, resting heart rate now 75 whereas on propranolol was 55. Sure I have an irregular heart rate but gp just says 75bpm is normal. Terrified I'm going to have a heart attack in the night. Was on propranolol for 8 years so I knew I'd have some side effects but this is horrible.

• Posted

75bpm is fine, when i stopped them after short term my heart rate was 150 just standing up x

• Edited

thanks for responding. It's been two weeks since stopping for me today. i think i am finally starting to do better, but still have some bad days. yesterday was bad. hearing that your symptoms only lasted a few weeks is encouraging. did your doctor think this was a normal response to stopping? mine keep telling me that the reaction should only last 5 days. this doesn't coincide with anything I've read on this forum. i'm glad i found this place. it's keeping me sane.

• Posted

i ignore doctors as they know nothing about withdrawal, glad things are improving ❤

• Posted

Hey Toria,

What dose were you on? I stopped 10mg about a week ago and still have a fast heart rate when I stand up around 150bpm too. Alongside other symptoms like muscle spasms, pins and needles and tingling all over. How many weeks did it take for you to recover?

Thanks,

Yazmin

• Posted

hi yasmin, 10mgs for around 22 days, i think it took about 5 weeks to settle x

• Posted

hi toria. do you remember if you had any issues with temperature regulation- like flushing or night sweats? also as you improved did you have some good days followed by bad days? its been about 3 weeks now and i feel like i'm going crazy. i had a much better day yesterday (thought i was finally really improving) followed by a worse day again today. and while my heart rate is improving, i'm still getting this weird flushing. i would really like to know if others had similar experiences. thanks.

• Posted

i see. did those symptoms (like flushing) start at the time of propranolol withdrawal or did you have them already? and have they continued? thanks for continuing to respond. it's really helpful!

• Posted

no worries, to be honest it was over a year ago so i cant really remember, but i tried beta blockers before and they made me ill then, but i recovered, i think docs prescribe to easily these days x

• Posted

agreed. going on this med was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. i'm not sure if we are in the minority having reactions like this or not, but either way doctors are not well informed about this drug. there is clearly not enough research.

• Edited

its not just this drug its drugs in general get handed out like sweets x

• Posted

hello!

i was looking through a propranolol message board and noticed your comments. and am hoping you could answer a few questions for me.

i was on propranolol 60 mg extended release for 2 weeks. i stopped it because i was feeling extremely depressed and in general, crappy. ive been off of it for almost two weeks. the past few days, i felt great, today, horrible again. i k ow you had said before that you would have a few good days, then a few bad days. how long dis this last for you? i NEED to be normal again!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.