Prostate,

Posted , 17 users are following.

I m 63 yrs old have to frequently wake up at night for urination. It's effecting my lifestyle. Been on urimax 5 MG for some time. Want to avoid surgery. Need suggestions.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Welcome to the club. Your prostate is enlarging. You need to find out how big it is now, what's your PSA, and if you have retention with a PVR (post void retention) ultrasound. The normal progression is that your urologist has you take some sort of medication that relaxes the prostate and bladder muscles so your flow increases. Normally this is Flomax, bur Urimax is similar in effect. Sounds like this isn't enough for you. So, the next step is to decided what sort of procedure you want to have done to reduce the size of the prostate. There are many to choose from. You say you don't want to have surgery. The only way around this is to learn to self cath. Some here find this easy, I did it, and hated it, so we're all different.

Eventually you may decided to have some sort of operation or procedure -laser, HOLEP, Urolift, Rezum, TURP, PAE. I had both a PAE and TURP. The TURP (bipolar TURP) was easy and very effective. In and out of the hospital in 4.5 hours, no pain, just three days on a Foley catheter, then recovery. Most urologists recommend this before anything else. Many here are afraid to have this done. I was also, then after I had it done thought it was easy and should have had it done a long time ago. We're all different. You certainly have time to research the possibilities.

Yes, your condition will effect your life style. This will continue until you get your prostate reduced in size or self cath. One other possibility: finasteride or dutasteride are meds that will reduce your prostate size. Mixed reviews here. More research for you to do.

As I said, welcome to the club....

My best,

Tom

• Posted

PSA is normal ,i keep getting check every six months .Thanx for ur support & suggetions

• Posted

I don't think we have enough info. Do you have a restricted flow? Do you urinate normally during the day?

If your flow is normal, BPH isn't your problem. If you're fine except at night, BPH isn't your problem. You might have overactive bladder, or

nocturia.

Please reply with more details.

• Posted

I dont have much problem during day .I have a glass of wine with dinner ,just before going to sleep

• Posted

I wonder if any one has tried Homeopathic or some other Natural (Herbal) treatment for frequent urination? Some people do claim some benefit.

• Posted

How long before bed do you stop drinking anything? I suggest 3 hrs before bed you stop. See, over a few nights, if that makes a difference.

It's best to keep away from meds if a lifestyle change can fix the problem

• Posted

My advice would be to start with the least invasive procedure - that would be urolift. It is also one of the cheapest. If that doesn't work (it claims an 80% success), move on to PAE. Medications work for some, for a while, but you always outgrow them.

• Posted

My advice is do nothing (except self cathing as needed) until you have a real diagnosis, which it doesn't seem you have. Some people pee more at night - restricting caffeine after 5, stopping liquids a few hours before bed would be a good start. Some with nocturia have also gotten help from compression socks. If you do all of that and your symptoms improve, it's not BPH and no procedure will help.

This is urology 101. Find another doc

• Posted

FWIW, I had Rezum last december, have 0 PVR, can hold 400ml typical, have a good flow but still get up 1-2 times per night, 1 if I stop drinking early in the evening. Must be something about getting old.

• Posted

Hi, keep in mind the longer you wait the more damage you do to your bladder and kidneys which can be worse than prostate surgery and in my case with an enlarged median lobe blockage of the prostate on natural stuff worked at all and drugs were terrible along with nasty side affects in the end I chose FLA which was brilliant as it is minimally invasive so please do your homework to avoid sad results from surgery

• Posted

Suggest trying something like Trazodone to help your sleep better. This helped me a lot but I am still trying to find a solution for my BPH or Over Active Bladder. If you are sexually active beware of all the info on retro ejaculation caused by some drugs and prostate procedures such as TURP.

• Posted

Jim,

Have you used trazodone and if so, what happened?

• Posted

When I do not sleep sound any little urge to pee wakes me up and I cannot go back to sleep unless I get rid of the urge. My doctor put me on Trazodone 50mg and I sleep better and so I do not wake up as much and thus to pee. Zertec is also helpful to me for sleeping so I take 1/2 tablet 10mg of Zertec. Trazodone is not suppose to be habit forming and 50mg is a low dosage. I would ask your doctor about something like Trazodone if you are not sleeping well.

• Posted

Jim,

I have exactly the same issue. I get up to pee about 6-10x per night, and it takes me on average 10 minutes to clear my bladder - takes 3-5 attempts. I can't get back to sleep until the urge to pee is gone. Feels like a little tickle or irritation in my bladder. Once this feeling is cleared then I can fall back to sleep. Then, in another hour to hour and a half I'm awake again and back to the bathroom. I say that my bladder is hyper sensitive. My urologist says this may be because five years ago I had radiation for prostate cancer, but there is no way to know this. I haven't had a good night's sleep in several years. Recently I have been taking a half Tylenol PM before bed and a little bit of melatonin, and this seems to help but I do feel a bit drugged up. The feeling clears later in the morning.

Due to all of the ups and downs at night I am losing a solid hour and a half of sleep each night with the frequent bathroom trips. I have to take an afternoon nap every day to clear my head. Don't know if this sounds familiar to you.

Tom

• Posted

Interesting. I use to take Tylenol PM and 5MG of Melatonin. The TylenolPM did make me drowsy in the morning and I started taking 1/2 a tablet. I was concerned because some say it is addictive. I am not sure if the Melatonin helped me much. You might try 10MG of Zertec (Citirizine is the generic) or maybe 1/2 of a 10MG Zertec before bedtime to see if it gives you better sleep. I still would ask your doctor for some Trazodone for sleep. I used Mybetqric for my over-active-Bladder and it helped me for about 6 months, however it is expensive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.