Prostate

Posted , 11 users are following.

With all this high tech and innovative research they can not seem to figure out  how and why the Prostate enlarges and causes problems; so many problems.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

They have. Read the research papers by Professor Pisco from Portugal on PAE, and Professors Gat & Goren from Israel on remedying BPH. These chaps are interventional radiologists. It is urologists who haven't figured out anything but biopsies and surgery, with many unintended and painful consequences!
  • Posted

Point well made, and well taken, mark23925.  My heart goes out to my brothers in agony. I've chased this disorder down from one end of the Internet to the other.  I'm always learning.  There is hope. However, what IS disheartening is something I'm reading more and more of.  Apparently, it isn't uncommon at all for senior men to die by their own hand because of the pain associated with prostate issues.  To your point, I think think researchers do know how the prostate enlarges and causes problems. I don't think they know why.  I'm pretty sure they don't have a clue as to how to help us.
  • Posted

Point well made, and well taken, mark23925.  My heart goes out to my brothers in agony. I've chased this disorder down from one end of the Internet to the other.  I'm always learning.  There is hope. However, what IS disheartening is something I'm reading more and more of.  Apparently, it isn't uncommon at all for senior men to die by their own hand because of the pain associated with prostate issues.  Moreover, they're dying quietly - and it's the embarrassment as well as the pain that's killing them.  To your point, I think researchers do know how the prostate enlarges and causes problems. I don't think they know why.  I'm pretty sure they don't have a clue as to how to help us. Let's keep the faith nevertheless.
  • Posted

I think it's more accurate to say Gat Goren have a theory. The procedure they use is basically the same that many fertility experts use called a varicocele embolization. You can have that done almost anywhere for a lot less expense that the Gat Goren. Interesting that one was a  fertility doc originally and the other an interventional radiologist.
    • Posted

Indeed. Theories that continue to be tested with positive results. 
    • Posted

Interesting INDEED, michael72708.  The following is something I've copied on the Gat Goren method, and it's fascinating.  Not sure that it's widely accepted yet, or even successful for that matter, but it deserves a read.  The source from which I copied is as follows:

http://news.sky.com/story/877151/prostate-treatment-gives-patients-new-hope

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the article that was pasted in full here as it may breach other website's copyright and the link is provided.

• Posted

There are so many theories...including GAt Goren. I've been a member of the website dedicated to their theories for a long time. Doesn't seem to explain why Japanese have very low BPH till they go on western diet. 

Many have definitely been helped by GG but many things work but thories for why are unproven. Don't forget GG doesn't always work.

There are hormonal theories, inflammation  etc. Personally I think the juries still out but that GG's theory about the nonworking valves has a lot of merit.

I had the Urolift which after a disastrous start appears to be working. However I went into it with about 700 ml retention and although it's down to 3-400 I know I'm going to have to do something to address that. Meanwhile I'm cathing while I wait for the pefect procedure. I'm put off by the amount of radiation and use of contrast dies with GG. 

I've been exploring PEMF. There's a human study and more recently a study with dogs that shrunk prostate by 56% after 10 min application per day in 3 weeks. PEMF has been used for many years to mend bones and for sports injuries etc. There's definitely a snakeoil quality to it....some companies claims that it cures everything. The exact machine they used on the dogs can be purchased for $700 in the US. I'm researching the settings and fields etc. Apparantly at a certain strength it kills cancer cells and at a higher it helps them proliferate......wish I had an electrical engineering background

• Posted

I understand your concerns.  While I have a moderately enlarged prostate (IPSS 12), and softgel Stinging Nettle Root Extract oil 300 mg (which includes Saw Palmetto 160 mg; Pumpkin seed 1 g & Lycopene 3 mg oils) has removed nearly all symptoms (e.g., stinging, nocturia, etc which I put down to prostatitis), I am about to have a MRI and angiogram in preparation for a PAE. The promise of a reduction in prostate size and attendant the issues mentioned above through a 1.5 hour procedure is too good to pass up. 
    • Posted

If it isn't too personal, would you mind telling me where you're having the PAE procedure?  I only ask because I've heard great things about it, and I'm considering having it done myself.  Thanks in advance.
    • Posted

At Liverpool Hospital in Sydney, Australia

I live in Melbourne, but was born and bred in Sydney.

• Posted

Gat Goren says the valves do not work proper in the veins so Testosterone is increased in your prostate to make it grow, is that correct? Well if that is true than it makes sense; because for 20 years on my job I had to stand up 12-15 hours daily and maybe it had an affect on my groin and the veins, I am not sure. But I started getting symptoms about 7 years ago, where I was urinating 15 times daily. But I never thought it meant anything; I just thought it was because I was drinking alot of DIet Coke . Only after a developed painful I guess they call it prostatitis and 500ml of urinary retention everyday did I go to a urologist. He told me to get the laser treatment, to core out my prostate. That was 2 years ago, but I hesitate. The G-G theory makes alot of sense; because I weightlift alot and days when I go through grueling routines; working legs and chest I have the most pain in my prostate; for days. Should I go get the G-G procedure and where do they do it in the United States.
    • Posted

You might like to investigate PAE (Prostate Artery Embolization). Some of your countrymen on here have had this 1.5 hour procedure in Virginia. I am in Australia.
  • Posted

They don't know why PEMF works but there are many theories
    • Posted

I have a quirky, yet practical theory that may help ALL of us, and it's simple. Let's lose a few lbs.  My rationale ... the prostate gland itself is 1 and 1/4 inches in diameter.  If we have substantial abdominal visceral fat, we're crushing that organ.  And when we do that, we're depriving it of what it needs; namely oxygenated blood and nutrients.  Moreover, if the arterial feed is inferior ("lower") to the gland, we're putting undue pressure on it.  The gland becomes hyperplasic because it's starving. It's solution is to create cellular growth.  Think about the ED commercial - the one that features the silhouettes of two people in a bathtub.  "C * * * * * increases blood flow to where it's needed."  We can also increase blood flood by not crushing the gland. In other words, let's

LOSE A LOT OF WEIGHT, and let's forget about the conventional medical wisdom to keep our waistlines below 34".  Not enough.  Let's get our metabolic BMI down to 25 (or lower), which for a six-foot man equates to a waistline just south of 31", not 34".  Am I soapboxing here? Hardly.  I myself am guilty of being overweight, and I plan to do something about it. I weighed in two days ago.   Not good at all. For what it's worth, I'm looking for a correlation between symptoms and weight loss, and I'll keep you posted.

• Posted

I did notice when I go on a treadmill for an hour or more; the blood flow seems to ease the pain in the prostate.Maybe you are right; if we lose weight and increase blood flow ; it might help. But I told this to my urologist and he did not comment. I said" WHen I weight lift vigorous and get the testosterone flowing; I imagine it does that; my prostatitis increase in pain for 3 days after. Why I asked him. No answer. But if Gat Goren assumption about valve defects is true it might explain the pain due to increase testosterone concentration. Who really knows. Where in the U.S do they do Gat Goren.. Is it only Israel?
    • Posted

Not being overweight is a good idea but I am not sure if being overweight is a primary cause of BPH. I say that because I have always been of slight build and 'underweight' for my height and I still have BPH and all that goes with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.