Prostate and testosterone

Posted , 12 users are following.

So ive posted before on here and got my 2nd opinion today from a urologist. The first urologist said i had an enlarged prostate, a seminal vesical infection and needed to be on levoquin for 4 months and he found microscopic blood in urine. I got a 2nd opinion today. My urine results from him were normal, no blood, he checked my prostate said it was normal sized. Said the first urologist Must not know what a normal prostate is. He also shoved a light scope down my penis to my bladder. I have a bladder neck restraint. Not opening fully. Said that could be a problem so put me on rapaflo I think Is name. However, both urologists did find my testosterone levels low. This urologist wants me to do testosterone replacement therapy. I dont know what to do. Is there Major risks with testosterone replacement? Has anyone had it done?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Justin, wow those 2 diagnosis & treatments are pretty far apart. In what city / state do you live? Have you used the web sites Health Grades and Vitals to choose your Doctors? I personally wouldn't even consider going to a Doctor who didn't have a minimum score of 4.0 and I prefer 4.5 to 5.0 with a minimum of 20 respondents. I always check both of those sites before choosing any Doctor. I ask which City / State because there are some tremendous places in various cities (Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins / Baltimore, Duke University Medical Center - Raleigh/Durham etc. - just to name a few) which do world class work that you can trust. If your looking for a tie breaker that you can trust, i personally would be going to one of those places closest to your city/state. I do have a gut feel feel about your story but a prostate is far too valuable to be using / sharing gut feels. What you need is cold hard facts that you can trust. 

• Posted

I live in centralia, il. I just checked the health grades for one i seen yesterday 46 respondants at 4.5 rating. He seemed 10 times better than the first one.
  • Posted

Justin, that is exactly what i would have expected. Your listing caught my eye because I'm not a fan of Levoquin - the stuff almost killed me & that is not an exaggeration.  Apparently I'm allergic to it. But, each of us is different. It may be perfectly fine for someone else. But, to prescribe taking it for 3 months??????????? I couldn't take it for 3 days. I liked Dr. #2's diagnosis & solution much better. But, if you want another opinion there is Northwestern, Rush U, Loyola & Advocate Christ up your way & there has to be multiple quality Urologist's in each of them. Just google best medical facilities in Illinois for prostate care & then look up their urology staffs & then bounce that list against Health Grades & Vitals = Magic. In my situation that process took me to Duke University where i saw one of the best Urologists in my area. The best of luck to you Justin.    

• Posted

Thank you so much. I will never take levoquin. Im so glad i do research. Its terrible doctors do this. The 2nd doctor I seen said he wouldn't ever prescribe me levoquin for 3-4 months. He said he will fix me up. Well see.

• Posted

Hello Justin. I was put on Bactrim for four months for prostate infection. Every urologist treats infections differently but my experience has been that 3 or 4 months on antibiotics is necessary for prostate infection. In regards to testosterone replacement, I am 66 and have been on testosterone therapy for over 15 years. I had low testosterone. Symptoms include low libido, low energy and loss of muscle mass. Those symptoms can go away with replacement testosterone. At least they do with me. And if you don't have cancer, I have not heard of any significant adverse side effects. Good health to you.

• Posted

Thanks and thats good to hear.i would rather do 3 months of bactrim than any floxie. If It's what i have to do. Good health to you also

• Posted

Did the 2nd uro tell you that the Rapaflo will give you retrograde ejaculation? That's what made me stop using Rapaflo, but you may feel differently about RE.

Bill

• Posted

No he didnt But i looked up my medicine immediately when it as given to me and noticed that. What did you take instead of rapaflo?
    • Posted

I started with Tamsulosin, didn't work well, went to Rapaflo for a month or so. It didn't work well and also gave me RE. So I quit taking all drugs and "got by" for about six years.

My flow got progressively worse and I ended up with a bladder stone, that was removed early in 2017. To hopefully prevent another bladder stone, I had the Rezum procedure done 5/26/17. I'm urinating pretty well and still drug (and RE) free.

• Posted

I also tried and quit Rapaflo awhile back as it caused retrograde ejaculation, I'm 54 and still try to be active, if she'll let me. LOL

I've been taking Tamsulosin before bed for years and it is the one that seems best for me as I've tried a few. I think I get some retrograde but there is still a finish so to speak. I still get up at least twice a night.

Now about testosterone replacement, as someone mentioned, if you have no side effects of low testosterone, I wouldn't go there as it is forever. I was diagnosed at 50 with it and have been on TRT ever since. I do have to say for me it has been the fountain of youth. I still play around with higher doses of testosterone as I am a gym rat, and I have to say it does have a negative effect on my BPH when I am doing it. Low dose testosterone does not seem to enlarge my prostate more than it is.

I'm jealous you all get to pick and choose your doctors. In Canada it's a real crap shoot and finding one that even cares has been very difficult. Annual appointment is often 5 minutes with here is your prescription refill, blood work look good. Don't let your government take over your healthcare, it starts to be as efficient as your government.

• Posted

I have laugh whenever I hear an American beg for Canadian Style health care. Something is beteer than nothing but don't ruin everyine else's health care

• Posted

I have been on it for years. First, see a good endocrinologist, who should be able to measure your testosterone and advise you if it is low and how to raise it to normal. Remember, you will be raising it TO normal, so you won't have the side effects of the nuts who abuse it for body building, etc. and raise it far above normal. Raised to normal, you will feel better, have more energy, sex drive, and your sexual ability will improve. It's no different than wearing glasses to improve your vision when you get older to what it was when you were younger.

Neal

• Posted

Urolift = Nightmare.

DO NOT DO IT!!!

My condition is WORSE than before the procedure. Now my new Urologist says I am faced with laser surgery to correct but i will have to self catherize DAILY for the REST of my life or scar tissue will reform.

DO NOT DO IT !!!

SAY NO TO UROLIFT

• Posted

Dude you're on a roll here. Maybe you should start your own anti urolift thread and stop $h*tting on threads that have nothing to do with urolift

• Posted

Yeah, and Justin 1212, about 20 people would appreciate a better explanation of your issue...  it does not sound typical at all, and we would like to find out what went wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.