Prostate Artery Embolization (PAE)

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi All. Wondering if anyone had complications after the PAE procedure. Thank you. 

0 likes, 165 replies

165 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Had it by dr bagla who has done more than 400 and didn't have any complications. Did great after and it has changed my life. What happened to you? You can always call him direct for an opinion which is how I got him to do my case

• Posted

Hi, Fiora,

Like you I had my PAE done by Dr. Nutting. He did mine at the end of last June. About a week after the procedure, I came down with a nasty UTI, causing my prostate and urethra to swell. Ended up with a Foley catheter for 7 days to allow things to heal. I'd say it took a good 3 weeks for my system to settle down.

In my situation, I have a large median lobe pressing into the base of my bladder. I knew going into this that a large median lobe can affect the outcome of PAE. I also have weak bladder tone due to severe urinary retention. So, my expectations weren't high. I wanted to stop the growth of my prostate and to make self catheterization (CIC) easier. It's done both for me.

About 6 or 8 weeks out from my PAE, I felt a strange tearing sensation in my thigh where they capped off the entry point into my femoral artery. Mary, Dr. Nutting's nurse, said some scar tissue had probably torn free, and that there would be some tenderness in the area for a couple of weeks. Indeed, I had some tenderness there for a couple of weeks.

Soon after the procedure, I noticed that the amount of my ejaculate was quite a bit less--and that it oozed out rather than shot out. Another thread on this forum addresses this issue. Some posters on that thread, who have experienced the same, say they were told this would clear up in time. I'm now 6 months out, and haven't seen any improvement. Perhaps in time.

Since my PAE, the changes/improvements I have seen have not been linear. It seems I see a jump in improvement. Then I hit a plateau. After some time, I would experience another jump.

Overall, I was impressed with Dr. Nutting and his team. Prior to PAE, I could not naturaly void at all. Now, I can naturally void up to 200 ml. Several urologists told me I'd never naturally void again. Yes, I still CIC 5 or 6 times a day, but I am working to rehab my bladder tone. If I can do that, I can probably stop CIC.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Stebrunner

• Posted

Hi Stebrunner,

I am 2 monhs out from PAE with Dr. Nutting with no noticeable improvements in frequency reduction. Like you, I have an enlarged medain lobe rather than significant BPH, so I am not sure I will get significant relief; however, Dr. Nutting said he conversed with Dr. Isaacson at UNC, and that they believe the procedure is also useful for patients with enlarged median lobes. He also said that Dr. Bagla says reduce semen output is common and resolves in a few months. I did not get a UTI, like you, but I did have a bad reaction to the antibiotic that sent me to the ER with a rash and a systemic allergic reaction that resolved in about 1 week with steroids and antihistimines. I am still hoping for more overall improvement. Question: how long did they tell you to hold off before having sex? Thanx.

• Posted

Hi, Fiora,

Don't recall being told to hold off on sex following the procedure. I think I had sex about 6 days later--figured I should enjoy it before they put the Foley in for my UTI.

Since the overall size of my prostate hasn't changed much, I don't know why my semen output is less. But it is. However, it's gotten a little better in the past month.

You mentioned you have a lot of frequency. Is most of this at night? Is the problem more about nocturnia or overactive bladder? I didn't have a frequency problem before PAE.

Stebrunner

• Posted

Hi, Jennings,

I'm sending you a PM with a link to Dr. Nutting's website. He's with RIA Endovascular in a suburb of Denver, Colorado. Hope this helps.

Stebrunner

• Posted

I just had my procedure on February 9, 2017 and no problems. A small bruise on my leg but I can pee like 4 feet in front of me. I can empty my bladder  !!!!!!!!!!!!! at 7 days i was off all medication. I immediatley felt better and my progress has only improved. I was alos back to work the following week . no side effects of any kind. 

The urologist wanted to remove mine in Dallas, Texas and said thats the only choice I had. Also to add I'm 51 and I get an erection like a teenager smile 

I sleep now 7-8 hrs and don't get up anymore at night. Before I was getting up 3-5 times a night. My postrate was enlarged to 162 and my PSA was 6-8 . I always felt like I needed to pee couldnt get rid of the pressure on my bladder . 

i was on vacation in the carribbean and ended up having to fly home with a catheter as i could no longer urinate . i began to search the internet for alternative to Radical robotic prostectomy which urologist wanted to perform right away. thank goodness i found this forum I emailed Dr Martin Pisco in Portugal and he responded I had most of the necessary test already and sent them over he decided that i was indeed a candidate for the procedure i then made arrangements to go to portugal I was there only a week and back to the states. He is teaching the procedure to the USA doctors and has recieved awards in the US for his acheivments in this field. I went to Portugal because i wanted to go to the teacher instead of the student . If anyone is considering the procedure I highly reccommned Dr Pisco and his team. I would be more than happy to answer any questions concerning my experience . 

• Posted

Smart allways go with the best doctor but for some of us we dont know who is performing it.I would like to know 1 year or more after the proseedure is it still good.Plus when they block the blood from coming to your prostate it cant be good for a heathy prostate as all organs need blood.Sperm ox with erections.

• Posted

Stome,

I'm today exactly 18 months after bilateral PAE with enlarged median lobe, partial obstruction of the bladder neck, three total obstruction with Foley catheter inserted for a week, and prostate size 110 g. My URO thought it's 60g based on yearly DRE and offered monopolar TURP. Was bleeding frequently from prostate veins and had frequent LUT infections. Would I go for TURP then, will be now most likely incontinent, impotent and definitely having RE. Decided to try PAE at my own risks. Was covered by Medicare. Still holding well, approximately like 10 years ago. Nocturia only once per night. Not as good as at 6 month after PAE due probably to vascularization of the prostate and natural growth. Most problems are related to the diminished volume of the bladder and thickening of the bladder wall as a result of procrastination with BPH treatment. Used alfuzosin during 10 years without much of negative effects. Would I have PAE a few years earlier, probably won't suffer from nocturia. Postponing any early active intervention of the bladder neck obstruction is a huge mistake committed by most BPH sufferers.

A 100 g prostate can't be healthy. It has all kind of ailments, to many to name. Cutting blood supply (not all of course, there are always some arteries left) make it shrink without side effects of Avodart or else. Helps many (if not all) if performed right. technique is very difficult, only few people in the country can do it right. 4 years after successful PAE strong positive effects are observed is 76% of patients. Probably not as durable as TURP, which need to be repeated in 8-10 years also.

Much less side effects, especially in older (after 65 yo) patients with very large prostates.

• Posted

I had a very sucessful PAE with Dr Bagla. I Was able to stop self catherizing and my PSA dropped from 20 to 5> I now urinate totally normally

• Posted

Hi Michael72708

I had my PAE with dr Bagla on monday Sept 25 2017 - 2 days ago

in your case how long before you saw improvement ?

• Posted

Hi Kam,

How are you doing? Is Pae and flow working?  

Thanks,

ktm

• Posted

Hi KTM

i am doing fine thanks

it seems that mine is taking abit, the flow seems to be getting better and urgency is getting less.  i have good days and ok days. 

• Posted

Who is Dr Bagla and where can he be reached? I am searching for opportunities for PAE in the US at an affordable price.
    • Posted

Hi Jennings,

Dr. Bagla is at the Vascular Institute of Virginia in Woodbridge VA. You can google for his phone number and other info. If you have trouble, let me know and I will PM the info to you. I had a PAE with Dr B last March. He and his staff are absolutely wonderful. If you decide to go ahead with him, I can give you recommendations for hotel and restaurants. I am marginally better since the PAE. Had hoped for more, but even some improvement is very welcome.

Rich

• Posted

Hi Michael, after 10 months how are you doing. IF the results are still successful how long can the good results last before you need to redo the procedure?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.