Prostate Artery Embolization (PAE)

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi All. Wondering if anyone had complications after the PAE procedure. Thank you. 

0 likes, 165 replies

165 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Fiora the only reason I went to Lisbon instead of the USA doctors for the PAE is he is the one who  invented it, his name is on the Catheter , E4900.00 for test, hospital,etc. and he has done more than any other doctor with better results.He teaches other doctors all over the world and doctors are coming to him for the procedure.  FYI...If for some reason you had to repeat his cost is E1500.00  Hope this helps

Best Reguards

David H.

• Posted

Who are the doctors in Lisbon and how do you reach them?

Also what was the total in $s?

• Posted

Pae procedure 8 days ago.

Approx. 100cc measured by Mri. No median lobe.

Increased painful frequency first day urinating every hour or so. Ten times first night. Frequency and pain decreased daily, although it still burns. By day eight urinating twice at night.  Voiding every 2 to 3 hours. Feels as if post void residual has diminished. Still taking two flomax per day. 

Flow: Increased dramatically after Pae procedure, not sure if the catheter dilation was cause. Flow slowed down to slow but steady stream the next six days. Day eight flow is improving, pain while urinating is minimal (still burns).

One problem I was having prior Pae was first morning void was always a worry. A few times near complete AUR.

Since Pae morning voids are steady. 

• Posted

How many days did you have to wear the Foley catheter ? Hank
    • Posted

Foley was inserted before the procedure.  Was removed about an hour after procedure, They make you lay flat a couple of so the point of entry (groin) will seal up. 
    • Posted

... first morning void was always a worry....

Did you have any other symptoms ?

How did you decide on pae ?

Thanks. Hank

• Posted

I had the usual symptoms. Frequency, urgency, watched diet very closely.

I decided to pull the trigger after a serious bout of urine retention. 

I have been researching Pae for years, I have contacted many men and Dr.s.  My opinion (not a doctor) Pae is the least invasive procedure with 80% positive results. If it doesn't work I will consider focal laser ablation next. 

• Posted

Hello,

I'm on day 10. Last couple of days have been difficult. Frequency every hour most of the day (painful). Last night I did go 7 hours before urinating. This morning flow is decent, pain is near zero. Morning run and things are looking good,  

• Posted

Good to hear. Let hope you are at the turning point.  Hank
    • Posted

I am approximately 20 days out. Average time between bathroom breaks is 2 to 4 hours now. I can also hold it now. Before "Gotta go now or wet the pants". Flow is sometimes great other times a little slow, better than before the procedure. No regrets so far.

• Posted

How are you progressing, Im approaching 90 days out. Im still taking alfuzosin, flow slowly improving, I measured myself at 8ml per second. 

Best improvement is time between and urgency. 

• Posted

Are you aware of any prostate size requirements for PAE ? Hank
    • Posted

Hi Hank,

Every Man is different, I'm not sure.about size of Prostate. Dr. Nutting mentioned larger Prostates (100cc) sometimes fare better. Ive listed a few studies. Dr. Mark Little is a good one. Dr. Isaacson at UNC is very good at responding. message me and I can provide his email. Best to you.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hi Hank,

Im not sure about size. Dr. Nutting mentioned larger prostates may have better results. 

I tried to send numerous studies to you but the site went into "waiting to be moderated"

If you message me I will send studies to help you.

Kt

• Posted

Thanks kt.  80mg used to be the minimum prostate size for PAE. I am just curious what it is now. This site doesn't like links so you can send me the links via private message (PM). Hank

• Posted

No size limit. Had it by Dr. Bagla who has the most expertise doing the pae and he did a study comparing all sizes. 
    • Posted

Hi kt. I read the study you sent me on PAE. Both patients in the study required substantial post-op catheter time (15 and 10 days). Is this typical for PAE or just for those two, who both had acute urinary retention before PAE ? Thanks. Hank
    • Posted

From the Vascular Institute of Virginia website:

No need for foley catheter.

I had my PAE there last March, and did not need a catheter.

• Posted

Hi Hank,

I think many Men wait till they are in serious retention trouble. I wish I would have had procedure done three years ago. Its not perfect but it has helped me considerably. 

• Posted

Hi, Hank,

Prior to my PAE I had severe urinary retention. I also have a large median lobe, and was doing CIC before the procedure. After the PAE they did not send me home with a Foley. However, about a week after I got home, I came down with a UTI, and they put in a Foley for 7 days to give my system time for the inflammation to settle down.

Stebrunner

• Posted

Thanks steb. Just curious, could not you do CIC instead of the Foley, for the UTI ? Hank
    • Posted

I would certainly appreciate your list of practitioners and hospitals the can perform PAE. Names and telephone as well as costs. Thank you

Jennings Reveley

• Posted

Dr. Nutting uses a catheter on all of his patients. Catheter is a marker for him. I was with catheter for two hours post procedure. Once I was able to urinate they released me.

• Posted

I had it done by Dr. Bagla and was covered by insurance. He and his team did an amazing job as they have the most experience in the states with more than 500 cases done. His office let me know it was around 8k if the insurance was not approved. I was lucky it was covered and even more fortunate i am doing great!! Would rec them anytime I could!! 
    • Posted

Hmmm. I wonder why catheter was inserted just for 2 hours. Hank
    • Posted

If you come in on catheter you leave on catheter.

I was able to urinate without catheter prior to procedure. My prostate was swelling at night, very difficult first urination in morning. I know it was a matter of time, I decided to go ahead with procedure.

• Posted

jennings,

I sent a few Doctors that perform the procedure. Dr. Isaacson quickly responds to any questions. If my insurance did not pay I would have went to UNC. Dr. Justin Mcwilliams at UCLA is another good guy if you have questions, Dr. Bagls charges for consult. I nearly went to chicago to visit Riad Salem for a clinical trial. My psa was over 2.5 so they wanted biopsy. Dr. Salem called me directly to discuss procedure. 312/695-5753

NMH/Arkes Family Pavilion Suite 800

676 N Saint Clair

Chicago IL 60611

• Posted

I have a 40g prostate causing BPH and urinary urgency  and medium lobe entering bladder causing overactive bladder. Do  you think PAE would reverse these conditons or reduce severity? How long in general does the results last? Thanks
    • Posted

Re prostate size for PAE, I asked Dr Picel of UCSD:

"40 g is usually the smallest size treated. The procedure may still be effective on smaller prostates but is likely to have less of a beneficial effect.

Sincerely,

Andrew Picel, MD"

• Posted

Hello,

I have approximately the same size prostate (50cc), but what worries me most is the large median lobe. I'm considering PAE with Dr Pisco.

Did you have already the PAE, if so how was it and how are you doing today?

What do you know about PAE and large Median lobe?

Thanks,

Yoav.

• Posted

Had PAE with Dr. Picel from UCSD exactly 30 days ago. Prostate 120 g, bleeding, bladder neck obstruction.Few times in the past Foley catheter placed for 1 week, self-catheterization lately.  It was very painful first days after PAE and then slightly better but better after three weeks.  Probably the more the pain, the better are results. After 30 days results are beyond any wild expectations. No pain or burning whatsoever. Stream flow like 30 years ago, at age 40, measures as 10-11 mL/sec. Can stay without restroom up to 4 hrs. Mild incontinence gone totally. During the night wake up only one time around 5;30 am. Expect more improvements in next 3-6 month. No feeling of residual urine in the bladder, The stream is strong all the time.  A bit small amount of urine i relived every time, around 150-200 mL, but that is probably due to age, many years of BPH and bladder wall thickening. Otherwise pure magic of Dr. Picel. No bleeding, side effects, or other organs involved. Perfect poster case.  Probably due to very large prostate and very skillful intervention of Dr. Picel.  Have still to measure new volume and PSA. Erections and sex also improved substantially. 

Skillful PAE should totally replace te butchering of TURP and other highly invasive treatment of the BPH. Insurances should cover it as the first resource. Don't know yet how long the positive results will last due to self-vascularization and future prostate growth, which is very individual.  Will repeat the procedure without any hesitation, particularly with Dr. Picel.

Good luck with your PAE.             

• Posted

Had a median lobe too and had it with Dr. Bagla. He targets this as well and told me that pae works well on median lobe. They can at least talk to you about it but that was my experience 
    • Posted

Hello Sam,

Thanks for your answer.

Do you know if the PAE blocks compleyely the blood supply to the prostate or just limiting it?

Thanks,

Yoav.

• Posted

Pae blocks a portion of blood supply mostly directed to the median lobe area. The area that pinches off urination.
    • Posted

Gene, thanks for sharing. Did you have large median lobe ? What were your symptoms before PAE ? What tests did you need to have prior ? Did your insurance pay for it? Hank
    • Posted

Hello,

Thanks, this is what I heard, I wonder if there is a specific vessel that feeds the median lobe or is the shrinkage of the lobe proportional with the overall shrinkage of the prostate? 

Thanks again,

Yoav.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.