Prostate Artery Embolization (PAE)

Posted , 39 users are following.

Hi All. Wondering if anyone had complications after the PAE procedure. Thank you. 

0 likes, 165 replies

165 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I didn't have any and had it done by dr bagla. He gave me a scientific paper that reviewed the risk of significant complications and it was less than 1% which was much less than any other procedure out there. Also, the FDA has now approved the procedure. 

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Thanks for posting. Im at day 10 and counting.

You didn't have any side effects?  How long ago did you have the procedure?

How large was your gland? 

Thank you

• Posted

Had PAE.9th November 17 and rested for 3 days. Walked few miles over the next 4 days. Lot of burning for a week after op and still up 4-5 times at night to pee.  The catheter caused this I think though only in for few hours. Last night 18th I was only up at bathroom twice 6am and 8am.  Flow was good and I was producing 225-250 mg of urine compared to 100mg pre op. No more burning and all looks good.   
  • Posted

I had the PAE procedure 6 months ago (June 20 2017)

Overall successful / symptoms much improved...was able to completely discontinue the drug Tamsulosin (flomax )  3 months ago.

One unexplained problem I’ve had is occasional worsening of symptoms again for a few days, then better again. I thought I these occasional setbacks might be from a uti infection but I’ve had no pain no burning no indication of infection on uti dipstick tests.... 

Wondering if anyone else who had the PAE has had similar experiences of improvement for weeks then a few days of worsening..

The dead tissue that is ablated is said to be absorbed by the body but I’m wondering if some tissue that is shrinking away might temporarily block the urethra, but I haven’t niticed passing any tissue or blood.

• Posted

Hello,

I had the PAE procedure in Portugal about 6 month ago. Yes, I have the same experience whereas the situation varies , at the beginning I could do without the Alpha Blockers now I need a 5mg Hytrin to be able to empty with a considerable good stream. I still wake up at night and if I'm without the drug I may need to pee every hour or less during the day.

I wonder how long after PAE you may still see any improvement and what might be the duration at which time you may not see any improvement.

I'll appreciate to hear about you experience and progress.

Thanks,

Yoav.

• Posted

ive been about 18 months and i think ive improved slightly more ..

hard to rtell because there are always some days that are better than others ..

MY EXPERIENCCE was kind if a tough time for a few days in the first week, then gradual improvement and noticeably better after a month.. then continual improvement for about 6 months... they say thats about the end of improvemsnt after 6 months but im sure im better and more stable now than at 6 months. I THINK the bladder may adjust and improve function from having less stress but thats only a guess.

--- for what its worth, it helps to take it easy on caffeine (coffee & chocolate ) which are bladder irritants.

• Posted

I've had it done twice. Did not work clinically. Still glad i did it. mike

• Posted

It must have helped if you are glad you had the PAE , especially a 2nd time... so could you clarify what you mean by it “didn’t work clinically.” ?
    • Posted

i'm glad to have tried a relatively non-invasive technique that works for most patients. Why jump into an invasive, potentially damaging surgery before opting for less damaging procedures. it definitely did something to my prostate because my PSA is now 2.2, down from 5.5 when i had my 1st PAE. It bought me some time to try and find some other alternatives without having to self-cath. I do have trouble uriniating and must be verry careful to not overly eat or drink alcohol. I know that i will be getting some additional treatment soon. scheduled with dr for review of tumt, and looking into rezum. FLA and water ablation are not in the cards as i spent 15,000 already on my 2 PAE's. Can't afford out of pocket procedures at this point. also. we all want the same thing. pee at will, have a decent erection, and not be incontinent. i'm thankful i don't have prostate cancer, and my hope for all of you is that in the coming year we all can get the relief that we deserve and the meet the right Dr that can help us! Good luck to all that have to be on this forum, and Happy New Year!

• Posted

I had it done yesterday at university of miami 24 hours ago. I am in a lot of pain even after taking the meds
    • Posted

I had a ton more than a year ago by Dr. BAGLA in Virginia and from what I remember pain waa not really expected after the procedure and I didn’t have any at all. I would check in with them to make sure that everything is OK.
    • Posted

My response was meant to say I had it done last year. Not ton. And no real pain just having to go to the bathroom frequently for a few days 
  • Posted

Just had PAE done by Dr Picel on March 6.  First night I was up every 2 hours-weak stream and some discomfort on urination. Three days later I still have urgency but frequency is less-maybe every three hour. Still weak stream but improving.

Hope it gets better. I also had high heart rate two days post-op

90+. Usually about 70.

• Posted

Wish you the best. Keep us updated. Also, what were your symptoms before you decided on PAE ? Was it covered by Medicare ? Thanks. Hank
    • Posted

It was covered there and the preauth people got it covered. My symptoms were a weak urination and getting up to go many times at night. My bladder never felt empty before Dr. Bagla did the pae. 
    • Posted

Hi Sam

I am glad you are doing Ok

who was your your insurance Company that approved the PAE?

• Posted

Hi jennings, how do you feel today, three weeks later? I have it done three days ago with Dr. Picel as well. So far just worsening, void very little every hour, 7 times per nigh with strong burning. Can I expect any improvement soon?  Have you seen an urologist since the surgery? My prostate was 120g and te bladder was quite irritable last two month. I have it done on March 29th. Are yu covered with any insurance or Medicare?

Except for burning and pain during the void, I'm fine. First day after PAE was the best, stream improved, but later it got worse. 

Do you have any improvements after 25 days?          

• Posted

I had a PAE done about two weeks ago now with DR Schlapoff in Sydney. I had the painful burning. Check your urine's PH level. If it is acid like mine drink something to raise the PH. I picked one of those fizzy vitamin drinks. Here in oz it is called Berocca performance. You are looking for something with zinc and magnesium in it. Perhaps some baking soda (sodium Bicarbonate) in water will help.

Buy some urine test strips off of ebay. Best 15 bucks you will ever spend.

They will tell you if you have a urinary tract infection also.

It took about two weeks to stop the burning.

As an aside the first night I had pain in the head of my penis. It went away when I turned off the AC. The wife is well padded and insulated. Check to make sure that you are not cold.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.