Prostate asorbing antibiotics

Posted , 10 users are following.

The doctor cannot seem to find evidence of bacteria, but when taking cipro the prostate pain gets better. I am very frustrated because as soon as I go off antibiotics the pain comes back. Been on/off for months. Would appreciate advice on how to get the antibiotics to take hold? Whats the best way to get antibiotics to absorb into prostate?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Several possiblities. First, there may be no bacteria to start with and the temporary benefit you see is from the anti-inflamatory properties of antibiotics. Second, the bacteria may be under the radar so to speak -- there but non-dectectable -- but either the course of antibiotics is too short, or the wrong ones are being used.

Nonbacterial prostatitis, which sounds like what you have, can be very frustrating both for patients and doctors. In fact, the medical community self admittently doesn't have a good handle on it and don't often agree on how to treat or not to treat it. 

Jim

• Posted

I never new antibiotics were anti-inflamatory. I did see a urologist and they said my prostate was not enlarged (based on the simple finger exam they did). If I had nonbacterial prostatitis would asperin or advil work as well?  I tried advil but the effects are not as good. 4 days of cipro seem to work better, but the pain come back after I quit.
    • Posted

They sometimes recommend NSAID's like Advil or Alleve short

term. Or Alpha blockers like flomax. But they also use antibiotics

for nonbacterial prostatitis and again they don't really know why they

work. Two leading theories are: (1) antibacterial properties or antibiotics: (2) there actually is bacteria just below the radar of current tests.

Jim

• Posted

I forgot to mention that along with the dull prostate pain, I get sharper pain in my penis. Hard to explain but it feels like urine is stuck in penis. The urologist said penis pain is common, but It bothers me that she couldn't explain why?  what causes the penis pain? (and the penis pain goes away while on antobiotics)

• Posted

In addition, you might start looking into alternate treatments other than antibiotics, such as prostate, massage, diet, excercise evaluation, etc. Also, nonbacterial prostatitis can sometimes be self limiting and can come and go. I had it a lot when I was younger and not so much as I got older. It's OK to try antbiotics but you dont want to overdue it. You should be seeing a urologist and not a GP for this.

Jim

• Posted

Are you sure it's a prostate problem and not a bladder problem? Go and see a urologist.

• Posted

Yes, I did see urologist. She put me on the antibiotics and did a finger exam.
  • Posted

When you say your Doctor cannot find evidence of bacteria, is he referring to the simple dipstick test as my continued infection for over 2 years only shows up on cultures grown and dipstick test is clear. The recommendations returned on the cultures Pivmicillan & Nitrofurantoin do nothing for me.  Like you I am looking for the needle in the haystack. Question I never get the answer on is if you removed the prostate would that get rid of the infections ?.

• Posted

As jimjames stated, statistically speaking - you are much more likely to have non-bacterial prostatitis. There are no prescription medications I am aware of to treat this, nor is there a known specific cause. Getting a doctor of any specialty to work with me on getting symptomic relief has been frustrating and unsuccessful.

You may want to try altering your diet and/or try supplements that have anti-inflammatory properties. Caffeine and alcohol are diuretics, which increase the urine production and can exacerbate the issue. Alcohol can also have an impact on the bladder muscles increasing the possibility of AUR (acute urinary retention).

As for supplements - there are many that claim they have benefits for prostate health and others which have anti-inflammatory properties. While I am a skeptic when it comes to most supplements, I have tried many (no atheists in foxholes) - while my results are anecdotal and nothing more than my opinion, beta-sitosterol and tumeric seem to have provided me some relief from the symptoms.

The only prescription medication that provided me any relief was Finasteride. For several years prior, I had a feeling like I was sitting on a half of a golf ball. The Finasteride helped relieve that symptom. The side effects however were unpleasant so I quit taking it after 4 months - but the symptoms did not return, so for me - it was well worth it.

Good luck.

• Posted

Echoing Tim-B's recommemdation, I just started taking Cucumin, which is the active ingedient in Turmeric. There are a few studies saying it worked well for prostate inflamation. I've been on fernasteride since March 2016. It has helped. Funny thing, some days I fell like I'm setting the golf ball and other days I'm fine. I've been told I have BPH.Wouldn't the sensation of sitting on a golf ball be there all the time if it was BPH?

• Posted

I dont think I have BPH. I did see a urologist and they said my prostate was not enlarged (based on the simple finger exam they did). I will try cucumin along with antibiotics. cant hurt right?
    • Posted

You can have bph and prostatitis so on the days without the sitting sensation your prostatitis may be not be acting up but u would still have bph.

Jim

• Posted

mdrapps: If you're going to take curcumin, you'll want to make sure it has an adjunct dose (5 mg) of bioperine.  Presumably, the bioperine increases the bioavailability of the active ingredient in the curcumin.  I've heard up to a 2,000% increase.  If your curcumin doesn't have bioperine, I've read where it's also efficacious to take the curcumin with a few whole peppercorns.  I, myself, have been taking curcumin for years.  Is it doing any good for my own prostate symptoms?  Who can say for sure.  Yes, I do have prostate and lower urinary tract symptoms (a.k.a. "LUTS"wink, even with a fistful of supplements taken daily.  The question becomes, how much worse would these prostate symptoms be without these supplements?  Self deception?  Perhaps. Moreover, I'm taking curcumin for reasons other than prostate issues.  If you Google, " 4 supplements as powerful as drugs " you'll see that curcumin is one of the Big 4.  Its powers are legendary.  I was recently given a short course of antibiotics for recent hip replacement surgery.  Like you, and to my surprise, my prostate pain / prostate symptoms completely abated.  Like you, I was diagnosed with nonbacterial prostatitis.  Like you, when the effects of the antibiotics wore off, the prostate pain returned. 

It's a mystery. 

I do believe jimjames is correct when he says that some microbes can be "under-the-radar."  To his point, virologists are taking a very close look at Herpes Simplex 16 and 17.  They are almost as minuscule as a prion, and thus will not show on a culture, smear, and stain.  Speaking of which, if your urologist is looking for infection, and he isn't looking at an "expressed" specimen - that is to say - one that is secreted through the meatus of the penis upon a DRE (Digital Rectal Exam), he's wasting his time - and yours.  Finally, my brother, while an Internet forum on prostate issues is no place for religion - and I don't intend to make it one - I do believe in the omniscience of a Higher Power.  Makes no difference by what name you invoke the Almighty, makes no difference as to your original country or your original religion, it's my humble opinion that all the collective medical intelligence in the world pales in comparison to the power of a humble, simple, honest prayer.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Alan said: "....I do believe jimjames is correct when he says that some microbes can be "under-the-radar."

------------------

This is one of several medical theories of why antibiotics are often effective with nonbacterial prostatitis. It's not my theory but I think it's plausible.

Jim

• Posted

thank you for details!  diet, excercise, and supplements like turmeric cant hurt so i will try.

i respect your religious beliefs. im a occasional christian. I believe in good morals and the power of possitive feelings. Praying has never been my style, but i might try it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.