Prostate biopsy

Posted , 12 users are following.

scheduled for prostate biopsy tomorrow. I would like to hear from others what I could and should expect from the procedure?

Receantly, diagnosed with prostate Ca post TURP.

I appreciate your response.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've undergone two types of Prostate biopsy procedure. Initially I had a waking biopsy where only local anaesthesia was necessary. It was ungainly and a bit embarassing because I had quite a team of people present. A MacMillan Nurse talked with me through it and held my hand (literally and figuratively), which was a support and comfort. I remember commenting that my wife must have gone through much more due to childbirth, and that it was not such a big deal. However, there was an odd, though pain-free, sensation of being 'stapled' as the instrument spring was released about 7 or 8 times. I walked out immediately it was done and felt no ill-effects, although there was a little blood in my semen a few days after, but all returned to normal soon. I had preventive antibiotics before and after and no complications. The second type was a saturation biopsy under general anaesthetic because some 36 samples were to be taken. I have a tendency to urine retention in reaction to general anaesthetic, and so had an in-dwelling catheter fitted and stayed in hospital overnight until removal of the catheter and I was able to pee normally but stayed in till the following evening when a portable scan showed I was not retaining too much urine in the bladder, and allowed home. Similar easy recovery at home within a few days.

• Posted

The procedure itself really isn't too uncomfortable. Just like an elastic band being flicked on your skin every time they take a biopsy. I think I had 12 or 16 biopsies. Blood in urine and semen for a few weeks and I used a ring to sit on for a while, but not too bad. I have had far worse pain than this caused. Good Luck.

• Posted

I have had two biopsies both about the same as described by andyr0. Not a big deal but no fun either. You will find it is far easier to deal with than the TURP you have allready exoerienced.
  • Posted

You are normaly given an oral antibiotic followed by anintravenous antibiotic  shot.

Asked to drop your trousers and shorts and lie on your side with your keees pulled up. A DRE exam and then the Ultrasound probe is very gently pushed into your back passage. Two or three injections of a local anathethic are administered into your prostate through the probe. Then upto 12 tissue samples are collected,

and its all over. I was asked to rest for about 10 mins after that I got dressed and went home. Glad my wife was there to drive. It is undignified but not really painfull. As others have said blood in my urine for a day or so and also in my semen for about 2 weeks after. Dont worry, the medical team understand how you feel and will put you at ease.

Best wishes, Phil.

• Posted

MK51151,

Had one couple months ago. Not too bad as andyr0 said. Also no antibiotic for me. Bleeding in urine in two weeks or so (Pad or diaper will help for this temp situation).

• Posted

This is really important: take two tylenol tablets at least an hour before the procedure. This will make a big difference in the pain level. Most biopsies are 12 core. Initially, the prostate is injected with lidocane and this numbs the prostate - almost, but without the additional tylenol, it can get painful as you approach the 8-10th core. During the procedure the nurse will talk to you in order to distract you. 
  • Posted

My biopsy is scheduled for this Friday...My urologist has given some description plus I found a lot of information through Google Searches on the internet.....1) The Doc uses a local anesthesia to numb the area, 2) He uses Ultra Sound to guide a needle that removes small pieces of prostate in the suspicious area determined by the ultra sound procedure, 3) Normally, the Doc will take-out ~ 12 "Core Samples" from the suspected cancer area of the prostate (there will be ~ level 4 pain for ~ 5 seconds when the needle takes the sample), 4) The Core Samples are sent to a Pathology Lab to determine if the tissue is cancerous and, if so, which stage of cancer, ie. #1, #2, #3, #4, etc...so a proper treatment plan can be selected, 5) If cancer is not evident, it may be starting nevertheless, and the biopsy determines a Gleason Score (Grade)  and PIN Grade (high grade/scores indicate cancer is located in the prostate somewhere).There's other scores, ie. ASAP, PIA, etc. that can be determined with the biopsy samples to determine the likelihood of cancer.  The biopsy often causes pain when the core samples are being removed, some bleeding, and soreness in the area for a few days...The biopsy should last < 30 minutes......The Lab Report generally comes back within 1-3 days............I hope this helps!....

• Posted

go out and buy the book:  Cancer Free, by Bill Henderson.  You may want to think about other ways of treating your prostate cancer, besides conventional treatments. My uro, told me that usually, prostate cancer grows slowly...13 years roughly before it does you in.  You have time to make a decision as to how and what kind of treatment you are going to persue.  Good luck!
  • Posted

One more thing I like to add. You may feel dizzy after the procedure. The degree of diziness depends on each person. Some people may need a driver to get home.
  • Posted

Just make sure by asking at the time that you are being given Antibiotics when getting the biopsy. Certain I was not given it while under anaesthetic as an hour from death the next day due to Sepsis, and still having problems stemming from that.

• Posted

I had a prostate biopsy a long time ago. It went well, but there are many voices against prostate biopsies. It should be possible to evaluate your PCa without biopsie

since you had a TURP. My PCa was evaluated as Gleason 8 after TURP.

Ask your uro why he needs a biopsy?

• Posted

A TURP only takes away part of the Prostate and that is then analyzed and mine showed no Cancer yet the Biopsy showed 1 in 16 had Cancer, so could be in part of the Prostate not seen or able to get to.
    • Posted

Why not try a 3T MRI?....The MRI determines the likelihood of cancer and if the cancer has spread...
    • Posted

I also had the intense MRI scan in Ninewells but they said that was not good enough.  There appears to be only a few of these machines in the UK I am told.
    • Posted

False Positives - The MRI and other tests can create "false positives" or "false negatives" per clinical reports. Then, the urologist will do a "series of tests" to help get the best reading and might take an average of Scores/Grades, etc...

• Posted

I think the main problem is when it is border line results such as mine twice with biopsies 1 in 16, which makes you wonder do you have Cancer or is it something in the machine since the last biopsy. Afraid I argued the toss the first time but now feel some of these other problems i now have such as infections and prostatitis could be worse than actually having defined positive Cancer
    • Posted

The false result happened (small %). More or less depends on machine. Most insurance allows a second opinion (second chance = 2nd MRI) if you do not satisfy with the first scan.

First MRI: 2 readers (first & second opinion = 2 reports to see if there is any different finding between two radiologists).

Second MRI (to eliminate the false positive/negative in the first MRI if any): 2 readers again (may use different readers & compare to both reports with the first MRI's reports.

The information in all reports will give confident about the finding and then go from there.

• Posted

I sypathise with you......Seems One prostate problem can cause others and No Specific Test seems to be perfect...Unless, the Doc gets cancer core samples from the biopsy and that result is definitive....
    • Posted

I think this is what I would do first as well. It gives them a target to biopsy so there is no need to take many blind samples that may miss cancer completely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.