Prostate biopsy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Read all the horror stories about prostate biopsy I have just been for one and I am the worst patient on the planet anyone that is nervous about it you have nothing to worry about it was a doddle no pain what so ever

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Very glad it went well for you. At least it is over and done with. I had a prostate biopsy last year. It was not pleasant, but tolerable. And it confirmed my fear that I had early stage prostate cancer. 2 out of the 12 core samples showed small percentages of cancer cells. The good news is that the cancer cells were a non agressive type and treatable. I was even told I could opt for active survailance and the wait and see approach. I researched treatment options based on my Gleason score and PSA numbers.  I decided to get treatment and be rid of the cancer and not have to have that hanging over me for an unknown amount of time. There are many treatment options that will cure prostate cancer. I chose Brachytherapy which was a one time treatment done as an outpatient procedure. It takes about 45 minutes and you go home after that. Minimal side effects - at the one year mark, my PSA was at 0.11. I will see the doctor for my next check up next month. That will be the year and a half mark. After this check, I will probably just see him once a year. Good luck to you. Side effects are gone after several months... and everything works as it did before.
  • Posted

So glad it went well for you as mine was extremely painful the first time and next time had it under general anaesthetic and had Sepsis next day and was an hour from death, partly because NHS 24 did not recognise it was Sepsis. If ever have to have another one I will not leave hospital under 30 hours after.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.