Prostate Biopsy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had BPH for over 20 years, im 61 and was scheduled for Rezum, doctor tested my PSA and went up from 5.3 to 6.9 in 1 year, now he wants to do a biopsy. why would he want to do a biopsy, since my PSA has always been high? it seems like there is no real number as to what the PSA should be. of course im a little concerned? issue urinating for yeras and urine retention is my big issue. appreciat some insight thnak you

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I would do an MRI if you can instead of the biopsy. Although that is a big jump, it could be explained by a few things.

1. Did you do strenuous exercise, have sex, ride a bike, 24 hours before your test?
    2. Did you have covid in the last 2-4 weeks before your test

If so, you could try retaking the test and take it easy a few days before.

• Edited

Based on that, I would ask your doctor to retake the test. Take it easy a few days before the test, and no bike riding, no ejactulating. If it's high again, then do a biopsy or MRI.

• Posted

What is the prostate size? Your doctor probably wants to be sure no cancer before the Rezum. You may repeat the PSA without sexual activity for a couple of weeks before the test to see whether the PSA level decrease or not.

• Edited

You would want to do MRI before biopsy because MRI is less invasive. Biopsy can sometimes cause problems, like infection. If a lesion is seen in the MRI a targeted biopsy can be done using one needle instead of the random 12 or 16. The single needle targeted biopsy is more accurate than the random multi needle biopsy which can miss a lesion.

You should repeat the PSA test without disturbance to the prostate.

• Edited

If you do the MRI it should be a Muti Parametric 3 Tesla MRI. I think Multi Parametric might just mean with a contrast agent. You should get someone to read the MRI who is an expert at reading prostate MRIs for cancer, instead of a generalist who interprets all types of MRIs.

• Posted

There is a lot of debate regarding the value of the PSA test. In your case, you get a high result and you get worried. Then you get retested, it goes back down. You could have a PSA of 2 and have cancer, and someone with a PSA of 6 doesn't. A large bowel movement can make your PSA go up to a range your doctor wants to do a biopsy that then puts you in the hospital. If your doctor says you have a tiny prostate and your PSA is 2, you might have a cause to worry, but maybe it's just because you road your bike the day before. PSA on it's own without a measure of your prostate size is somewhat useless IMO.

• Posted

Any activity that stimulates the prostate can skew the PSA results in the wrong direction. That can include (and not limited to) ejaculation, bike riding, strenuous bowel movement, and even the dreaded but useful digital rectal exam (DRE). A few days separating those activities and the blood work makes the PSA values a lot more accurate. And if you visit your doc for a DRE, make sure he does that AFTER drawing blood in the office, not before. Or just wait a few days before doing the blood work.

• Edited

Most likely the biopsy result is negative because your PSA level had already decreased from 6.9 to 3.7 before the biopsy. Otherwise, it is surprised! Report back after you get the results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.