Prostate Biopsy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had BPH for over 20 years, im 61 and was scheduled for Rezum, doctor tested my PSA and went up from 5.3 to 6.9 in 1 year, now he wants to do a biopsy. why would he want to do a biopsy, since my PSA has always been high? it seems like there is no real number as to what the PSA should be. of course im a little concerned? issue urinating for yeras and urine retention is my big issue. appreciat some insight thnak you

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ask him to do an MRI scan to determine if you have any potential lesions then have the biopsy targeted at those areas. My PSA went from 2.90 to 12.0 in 2021 so i had an MRI followed by a biopsy. The biopsy turned out negative thankfully.

• Posted

yes have had it for 10 years. currently take 4mg Doxasozin twice a day. prostate 75cc+ . ok for now.

• Posted

my bioposy was negative thank GOD

had rezum procedure today 2/9/23

thanks for the feedback and support

• Edited

How many injections? The uro did not tell you the prostate size?

• Posted

1. he did not tell me size.

im going to ask on monday for my post rezum follow up

ty

• Posted

A better number to use is PSA density. That is the PSA divided by the prostate size. If it is below 0.1 it is normal.

For example with a prostate size of 100g and PSA of 6.9 the PSA density is 6.9/100=.069, and is normal.

For a prostate 50g and PSA of 6.9 the PSA density is .138 and is not OK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.