Prostate Direct Catheter & Bag - Is Anyone Working While Wearig These?.....Please Advise...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 72 years old and had worked part-time as a substitute public school teacher for the last 3 years....I'm afraid of having pain, being embarrassed or having an accident at work while I'm on the direct catheter and bag so I haven't returned to work so far this year...Has anyone else that has had this situation returned to work and has worked for sometime? ...I'm recovering from the REZUM procedure and a recent Lung Cancer operation. My Uro doc states I may have to be on the direct catheter for 1-3 months depending on the speed of my recovery...

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Randy,

Are you referring to a Foley Catheter? 

Tom

• Posted

Randy,

I had to use a Foley Catheter for 5 weeks after radiation for prostate cancer. I was able to work and get around with little difficulty, as long as the bag was secure and the drain tube was taped carefully to my leg. 

In another post here some time ago a suggestion was made to remove the bag and close the valve on the drain tube, then release the valve when going to the bathroom - a very simple but excellent suggestion. Wish I had thought of it when I had the Foley. 

Hope this helps....

• Posted

Thanks for your response and suggestion....My foley drain tube does not have a valve...I have pain sometimes with the bag and foley pulling when I move, stand, etc.. It makes you uncomfortable...
  • Posted

Two things: First there is no reason to be on a catheter of any kind with Rezum for a month, much less three. I'd be surprised if there was one case of someone who couldn't pee enough to function one month after having Rezum. It took me two weeks and my urologist said that I took longer than any one he knows of. So for starters, you almost certainly can get by without a catheter within 2 weeks. many are fine the next day.

Second - if for some reason you are taking atypically long to pee after Rezum, you can self cath. Every four hours or so you can slide one in, do your thing and live unconnceted to anything. The portable ones (Speedicath 14s are the ones folks on this forum recommend) can be kept in your pocket and as long as you can use a stall, no one will know. Its easy, painless and lets you live completely normally. 

IMO, you should insist that your uro show you how to do it and give you a script so you can get those portable speedicaths. Also, this way, you can test your stream every day and not use a cath of any kind for longer than you need to. And as I said - two weeks max.

Goog luck!

• Posted

Thanks for your experience and advice..Are you working and were you working during and after your procedure?...
    • Posted

Yes I worked they day after the procedure - was there at 4PM and on the phone the next morning. I didn't travel til I was off the cath but could have if it was important. I work from home, so it was easier. If I had to go to an office I probably would have take a couple days off to get comfortable self cathing.

• Posted

I was working out heavy 5 days after the procedure with my surgeons blessing. Self cathing you can live almost 100% normally and you'll only do it for a few days to a week or two

• Posted

New Problem - Bleeding - I started bleeding a lot overnight last night. It's been ~ 1 week since my REZUM and there hasn't been any bleeding before. ...Should I be concerned and contact my Uro doc?...Please advise....

• Posted

Yes - call your Uro doc. Could be a UTI, or irritation from the cath. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.