Prostate Medications

Posted , 14 users are following.

Prescribed Tamsulosin and Finasteride 9 months ago and Vesicare 2 months ago. Have now got enlarged puffy nipples that are very sensitive and have developed developed man boobs that are now measuring 44c . Has anyone else had this problem? Will it all go back to normal if I stop taking the meds once I have had my surgery?

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, you did not say why the med`s..bph etc etc. if BPH then same as me. i am 68 and very fit! but  bph will come to us all! sooner or later...I am now 18 months after GL TURP the standard op, done by Uro`s  North Devon Hospital.. before the op i was on Tamsoulosin and another muscle blocker,although no body changes were noticeable,ihad balance issues and nasal problems! the balance issues went with the stopping of drugs, but the nasal issue is still with me!! i was one of the successful turp clients, however it was a year before all side issues had cleared up, but life was much improved and has returned to very normal, here however RE is standard, if you are under 50 you may not want this!! so do the research before any op, we are all different and respond differently! but do get off the meds as soon as possible!! most side effects will reduce after you stop! all the best...Syd
    • Posted

Please don't confuse GL with TURP. One is Laser the other is a hot wire. RE is not standard with GL if the bladder neck area is spared .

• Posted

Syd

Yes, it's BPH that has prompted the need for these meds. We are both in the same age bracket so the side effect of RE does not concern me unduly. Having dealt in the past with ED that possibility doesn't really concern me, it's just a "would be nice to still be able" if you know what I mean. But if I can't then it's not the be all and end all, life is the key issue.

Fortunately, I've not had to endure the nasal problems that still bother you.

I look forward to enjoying a much improved life, like you.

Thanks for your wise words Syd.

Peter

• Posted

It can be again. Check out a penile. I have one, and it completely solved the ED problems.

Neal

• Posted

It's supposed to read, "penile implant "

Neal

• Posted

sorry about that.....yep i had a standard TURP but something was spared, so...re is intermittant!! i did not mean Green Light, i meant gold standard as presented to me by the medical profession! again my apologies!!
    • Posted

Hi as Derek 76 has pointed out, i was  incorrect with my description!! i had a standard TURP ( gold standard) as presented by the UK medical profession. not Green Light laser!!  however the RE side of things is in my case intermittent,.sometimes there it is, and fine, next  maybe not, all the sensations are there so, there it is!!, i would still recommend extensive research and  sharp  words with your medical advisors as to what treatment is available and what might suit you!!
    • Posted

I had one Uro who called any procedure a TURP. Opening up any prostate is a TURP he said whatever you use. He only did TURPs.
    • Posted

I believe there is 20% chance Turp may not result in RE.

I dont know though whether is by chance or if there is a reason for it.

In you case you said "something was spared!" did the surgeon do this intentionally do you know>?

• Posted

Hi, i`m afraid my Uro was very vague,all of the treatment span, maybe re maybe not!!!  we will be care ful!!! hmnnn....refer to Derek76 comments!!, and as for ejaculation.....well as i said, sometimes i am rewarded, and sometime not... ..form a full squirt to a nothing. dribble!! lucky you says the Uro.....so there you go. Sorry to be vague, but i would not bank on 20% chance!!! regards Syd
    • Posted

Very strange that sometimes it works OK. Any difference in the circumstances or longer periods between having sex? I would hope that as it does happen that in time it it will all fall into place.The hospital that did my GL PVP did a bladder neck sparing procedure. In the early days they asked patients to keep in touch to give feedback,   
    • Posted

I think patients need to ask what in the procedure will cause it and how can he avoid it happening
  • Posted

Qver 20 yrs ago when in my early 60s I had a sjightly high PSA but no other symptoms of prostate problem and my then GP suggested finasteride which was not a subsidised drug so was rather expensive. I continued with this for about 6 months, My PSA stayed much the same but at the end of this period my breasts had enlarged, my nipples were pufffy and sensitive and my libido diminished. I also suspect some genital shrinkage but cannot be definite about that. The only positive thing was I regrew some hair on my thinning pate. After stopping the medication the boobs remained but the hair growth disappeared. Over the years I have tried to minimise the boob appearance by exercising to develop pectoral and shoulder muscle. This has been fairly successful but is really cosmetic as I know the breasts are still there. Short of surgery I don't think this can be reversed.

• Posted

I had another medication last year that started breast growth again. My GP arranged for me to have a breast ultrasound scan but by the time I had it they were going down again.  
    • Posted

OMFG....I'm a man with tits! At this rate I'll be a D cup,by next week!

Anyone recommend a suitable bra?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.