Prostate Medications

Posted , 14 users are following.

Prescribed Tamsulosin and Finasteride 9 months ago and Vesicare 2 months ago. Have now got enlarged puffy nipples that are very sensitive and have developed developed man boobs that are now measuring 44c . Has anyone else had this problem? Will it all go back to normal if I stop taking the meds once I have had my surgery?

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If I were you I would consult with your GP or Urologist and stop the medication.  I wouldn't count on the surgery fixing it.

• Posted

I have been taking FloMax.   One every 30 hours is usually enough and that lessens the side effects.  Occasionally, I need to drop back to 24 hour for one day and then back to 30 hour.  

Also been on finasteride for about a year.  Don't see any positive effects or negative really from that but maybe could be worse without it. Was hoping to get off the FloMax. 

• Posted

Vibes, what do you notice that causes you to drop to the 24 hour schedule?

John

• Posted

John, I drop back to one or two  24-hour FloMax periods if usual retention or infection symptoms begin to appear.   One or two 24's, then can go back to 30 hour schedule.  Others report maintaining 48 hr schedule but I can't even maintain a 32 hr schedule for more than a few days.   A friend requires two-a-day.  

• Posted

I switched to every other day because of side effects. On the off day the effectiveness and side effects are both lessened. 
    • Posted

Thanks Vibes. I'm curious about what might happen if I stopped taking the Tamsulosin.

• Posted

I certainly would not quit Tamsulosin cold-turkey except on the advise of a doctor.  

However, for me, the side effects are less severe when I slide my time frames from prescribed same-time daily to one 0.4MG FloMax tablet taken every 30 hours.

My 30-hr Schedule looks like:

Day 1 06:AM

Day 2 12:Noon

Day 3  6:PM

Day 4 12:Midnight

Day 5 No FloMax taken (off day)

Day 6 repeat back to Day 1 (6:AM)

Actually, I fudge a little on most Day-1's by having breakfast around 7:am and Flomax at 7:30 am.  (always have meal half hour before taking FloMax.

For me, I often sense weaker stream by my pill time.  If there is concern that sympotom is approaching FULL retention or there is infection-like spotting, etc, I will revert back to the prescribe 24 hour schedule for a day or two.  I usually end up doing that several times a month - usually due to being very late taking my pill. 

For me, all the above hastle is worth having less severe side effects experienced. A 32 hour schedule would be easier to manage but, every time I try, after several days, I begin having above symptoms.

For me, the schedule is easier to manage with use of one of the 28 compartment pill boxes that are layed out in 7(day) X 4(morn, Noon, evening, bedtime) pattern.  I use buttons to mark the off days and always keep at least a few "following" days loaded so as not to lose my place.

I am not a doctor. Check with yours before modifying your routine.

• Posted

Vibes, I agree about getting the advice of a doctor before stopping. I will be seeing my GP next week and will ask her about it. Thanks for the information.

John

• Posted

That is a side effect of those meds. Never take ANYTHING unless you check the side effects.

Neal

• Posted

Neal

I was not warned by the Urologist that I would develop breasts. Surely he should have told me that important point? I was suffering serious BPH symptoms so I was relieved that something could be prescribed for me to alleviate them.

Peter

• Posted

Like all side effects it only happens to a small %.

It is in the information leaflet with the tablets.

• Posted

See Derek's post, also look on the internet. Don't trust the doctor to tell you anything, even though they should. I'm allergic to Sulpha, and told my doctor that. He gave me a Sulpha derived drug, and I spent 36 hours in the hospital, on an IV throwing up. So I learned to do my own research.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.