Prostatitis Cure - So far so good.

Posted , 36 users are following.

I am 34 years old and had prostate prostate problems since early 20's. From around 3 years ago the problem became increasingly worse and had seriously impacted my lifestyle. I had problems urinating. Would wake up 3-5 times a night only to urinate a few drops. I had extreme pain sitting down for more than 15mins. I never thought looking at a chair would bring such dread. I would regularly leave social events due to the extreme pain or just avoid it all together.

My doctor prescribed me very strong antibiotics which initially started with 2 week treatment. This worked the first time but the condition came back a few months later. with each return visit he would prescribe stronger and longer treatment of antibiotics, from 3 months upto 4months. Unfortunately these were no longer effective. I even saw an experienced Urologist and he basically told me that he see's someone like me coming into his clinic 1-3 times a week and basically told me there is no cure and that I would just have to live with it.

Because of the extreme pain and the negative impact it was having on my life, I scowered the internet and tried almost everything from drinking brocolli juice, litres of cranberry juice, taking hot baths, vitamins, oils, avoiding coffee, garlic, onions, chilli, weird stretch exercises, all that. None which worked.

Out of desperation I even tried one dubious vitamins which you could buy from the USA which had no FDA approval (this was actually the most effective). I even purchased another dubious product which you insert up your anus. Fortunately I did not have to use this smile

I am no doctor and I am not sure if this will work for you. But I know the pain you guys are going through and if my story helps one person, then its well worth it.

The remedy which worked for me is avoiding Gluten! simple as that. Ever since avoiding gluten the symptoms have gone 95%. I dont think about it prostatitis anymore because it doesnt impact my life!. Sometimes it is difficult to avoid gluten all together and sometimes I would eat a piece of bread or have a beer. And sometimes it would flair up a little bit but this is miniscule compared to the pain I was in during the torturous times.

I hope this works for you too.

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Joe,

It's always great to hear from someone who has found the key to improving their condition. How long have you been limiting your gluten? And how long did it take before there was a difference in your symptoms? Congrats and best wishes. 

Bob

• Posted

Hi Bob, I have been "limiting" my gluten for about 8 months now. I think in the first 3-4 weeks the condition dramatically and noticeably improved. I have not had any flare ups since the conditions improved.

In the first 2 months I pretty much abstained from all gluten. But the latter 6months I probably ate on average one meal per fortnight which contained gluten ..(cant stay away from junk food hamburger). I have also abstained from beer and other gluten alcohols as much as i could (probably drank 4 beers in the last 8months, only because someone bought it for me and I couldnt refuse). I feel beer really exaserbates the problem. I will try to cut the gluten down even further.

• Posted

I do recommend that you abstain from gluten (wheat, rye, barley, beer etc) FOREVER. That's what I've done, and I have no regrets. If I start eating it again, symptoms return.
  • Posted

Hi, Joe

Thanks for posting. I was led to this stream (no pun intendedwink because I had the ghost of a shadow of a thought that gluten COULD be the problem. Your story is much like mine, including the "wierd stretching." I have been to a urologist who gave me Flomax (tamsulosin hydrochloride), an alpha-blocker. I was thrilled that non-antii-biotic relief was in sight--until the next morning, when I sweated like a malaria victim and had the nausea of a food-poisoning victim. So--I have been on my own ever since. I pray this works because my quality of life is worse than Brian London during his fight with Muhammad Ali.  I will let you know but I am very optimistic since only 2 weeks ago, I succumed to a frozen chocloate custard, which contained the two things that kill me: chocolate (caffeine) and dairy (I am told dairy contains gluten since cows are fed wheat products.) I have been in a tailspin ever since. As in "get me to the hospital now."  I will keep you posted!  Thanks again! Gary

• Posted

I hope that you are well aware that tamsulosin will do you more harm than Ali would have:-)

I was at the London-Ali fight and just searched my programme for that night. Ken Buchanan who I watched in many of his schoolboy and amateur fights was in one of the supporting bouts. 

Brian London is two months older than me and is evidently still doing after dinner speeches. There is one on Youtube where he talks of the Ali fight. 

• Posted

Thanks, Derek

Yes, I had the feeling it couldn't be good...yet many men remain on tamsulosin for YEARS.  It would kill me inside of 1 week. (I would rather have Ken Buchannan pound my kidneys.)  Btw have you tried Joe's gluten-free regimen? That will be my last attempt to heal myself--If it doesn't work--I may have to do to the doctor--again. Even though I know he has nothing for me that works and is not toxic. 

• Posted

As I have said elsewhere the nurse at the medical practice I go to says that Tamsulosin is the drug her male patients complain most about even more than statins.

I've not considered gluten free. I'm not convinced on faddy diets or unknown far eastern herbs or fungi for prostatitis. The only herbal one that I have taken is Saw Palmetto in tincture form for BPH. It did not stop my prostate from growing but did help my flow and seemed to hold other symptoms in check. I took it for about ten years before having my first laser surgery in 2005.

Prostatitis started with me after getting an infection when having a prostate biopsy in 1995 and has come and gone since worsening with time.

Sad how our boxing heroes mostly end up, Does Luckystrike indicate that you are in America? I always regret not going to the Gerry Cooney - Ken Norton fight at Madison Square Garden when we were on holiday in NYC in 1981. Rode on the Staten Island Ferry in a terrific thunderstorm instead with Manhattan illuminated by lightning.    

• Posted

Derek

Well, I can say there is a 100% correlation between diet and my condition. Spice, chocolate, alchohol, and maybe, maybe gluten. We'll see. 

Laser surgery? Oh, boy...

Yes, I am American, where every heavyweight boxer I admired in the 60s-80s is either dead or brain damaged. Save for George Foreman. Cheers.

• Posted

Chocolate and alcohol, I enjoy. We must pay for our pleasures:-)

Too many Boxing titles now. As for Super Heavyweights now where have the skills gone? None fight on a regular basis and most want to pick their opponents. I'm not impressed with our Olympic champion Anthony Joshua not a patch on Teófilo Stevenson.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing this online. I am 10 days into the gluten free decision but too early yet to say how successful it is but I will keep you posted
    • Posted

It can take up to 6 months to see the full effect. If you Google "wheat and chronic prostatitis" you will get some pertinent information.
    • Posted

Hi, cheked out wheat and chronic prostatitis and could not beleve the number of experiences like Joe46053. This has boosted my confidence and determination to continue. I do not find it too difficult to be gluten free but realise how many foods have wheat etc in them. I went to see my Doc for the first time about the problem. He did not think cutting foods out or taking herbal remedies would make any difference (an expected reply) He gave me a course of antibiotics 20 days. I am 8 days into this treatment but don't expect it to work but thought it important to at least let my GP know. Keeping up the GF, Will let you know how it goes.
  • Posted

Glad it working for you but I'm 56 and have been on a gluten free diet since I was 18 and have had prostrate problems my entire adult life.

Carlos

• Posted

Hi Joe.

Experiencing the exact same symptoms. Just wondered if you had a split stream as well? Apparently this is common with there being inflammation in the urethra. And how are your symptoms now?

Simon

• Posted

so you cut out caffiene and coffee? i have same thing and chronic non bacterial and just got flare up again of frequent urination and pain in pelvic and rectume as we all testicle i can feel prostate bogged down again. do you still get bouts or flares up?
    • Posted

The prostate functions with zinc, I started eating wheat germ which has lots of zinc and it has worked great - I feel great about 99% cured and soon I feel will be completely cured.... Get your prostate healthy and working well by giving it zinc or eating wheat germ!
    • Posted

Glad you feel much better! So, did you cut out gluten in addition to taking zinc?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.