Prostatitis Cure - So far so good.

Posted , 36 users are following.

I am 34 years old and had prostate prostate problems since early 20's. From around 3 years ago the problem became increasingly worse and had seriously impacted my lifestyle. I had problems urinating. Would wake up 3-5 times a night only to urinate a few drops. I had extreme pain sitting down for more than 15mins. I never thought looking at a chair would bring such dread. I would regularly leave social events due to the extreme pain or just avoid it all together.

My doctor prescribed me very strong antibiotics which initially started with 2 week treatment. This worked the first time but the condition came back a few months later. with each return visit he would prescribe stronger and longer treatment of antibiotics, from 3 months upto 4months. Unfortunately these were no longer effective. I even saw an experienced Urologist and he basically told me that he see's someone like me coming into his clinic 1-3 times a week and basically told me there is no cure and that I would just have to live with it.

Because of the extreme pain and the negative impact it was having on my life, I scowered the internet and tried almost everything from drinking brocolli juice, litres of cranberry juice, taking hot baths, vitamins, oils, avoiding coffee, garlic, onions, chilli, weird stretch exercises, all that. None which worked.

Out of desperation I even tried one dubious vitamins which you could buy from the USA which had no FDA approval (this was actually the most effective). I even purchased another dubious product which you insert up your anus. Fortunately I did not have to use this smile

I am no doctor and I am not sure if this will work for you. But I know the pain you guys are going through and if my story helps one person, then its well worth it.

The remedy which worked for me is avoiding Gluten! simple as that. Ever since avoiding gluten the symptoms have gone 95%. I dont think about it prostatitis anymore because it doesnt impact my life!. Sometimes it is difficult to avoid gluten all together and sometimes I would eat a piece of bread or have a beer. And sometimes it would flair up a little bit but this is miniscule compared to the pain I was in during the torturous times.

I hope this works for you too.

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, since my last post 2 months ago, the problem seems to have gone. I first got the problem beginning of December2014. Painfull to sit on any chair, felt I had a prostrate the size of a cricket ball and had to sit on the edge of my posterior when driving. Frequent visits to toilet, difficulty passing, small stream etc. My instant reaction with very little research and just gut feeling was to cut out alcohol, tea (drank loads every day of my life with milk. I am in my early 60;s) and after reading a herbal prostatitis website, I started taking 6 recommended tablets each day.

Then I saw Joe's comment about gluten when I was searching the net, so started cutting out gluten. At this point, 6 weeks after the problem started, I visited my GP because nothing worked. I was given the routine finger examination, told I had prostatitis and was prescribed 20 days antibiotics. At the start of the program I decided (no reason) to stop taking the herbal remedies, but I continued cutting out the other things previously mentioned. During the 20 days the condition re-occured less frequently but was still there. At the end of the 20 days, I believed I needed more antibiotics but stupidly, I had forgotten to make an appointment to see the GP and could not get any. During the next two weeks I improved although my body was telling me strongly that it was still there in the background.

I was now in a dillema. To what could I attribute the improvement? I beleive it to be avoiding gluten and not the antibiotics. In recent weeks, I have returned to drinking alcohol and tea with milk in moderation, but unlike Joe, I do not want to take the chance at returning to gluten to test the theory Definitely do not want it back.. I was given the advise that gluten free can take up to 6 months to start working. For me, it is now 3 months and I feel like I did before the problem started. I will certainly not be complacent, but just wanted to give encouragement to all sufferers out there. If there is a return of the symptoms,I will write another post.

• Posted

I have been able to feel much better after consuming zinc. I have been eating wheat germ and I feel about 99% cured... I feel within a month or two months I will be completely cured.... The prostate needs zinc, if you give it zinc it will recuperate itself and you prostatitus will go away!!! I strongly recommend it!!
  • Posted

Hi Joe, how are things going ? can you please give us an update on whether your symptoms are still gone ?  Do you allow yourself to eat oats on the glutin free diet ?
    • Posted

Hi Greg, 

I am glad to say that my symptoms have still greatly improved since my first post and it appears to be improving. I have not had one flare up. 

As mentioned in my original post I have dramatically reduced my gluten intake apart from the odd bread (maybe once a fortnight) and beer (I start off with 1 beer and generally move onto gluten free spirits like vodka).

I rarely eat oats as part of diet.

More recently (from about 6 months ago) I have also cut down alot on dairy and meat. i.e. maximum of one or two servings of meat a week. I eat next to no dairy unless the food I eat comes with cheese or butter. 

I also have been exercising 3-5 times a week for 1 hr with fair bit of intensity.

Yes the food may be a bit bland, but hey, its a very small price to pay for being able to go through life without the tormenting pain.

My symptoms are now at a level where I rarely notice it. The only time I am definitely reminded of it is when I have alcohol. I would feel some heat and swelling feeling, but I would not say its "painful".

Hope it works out for you guys one way or another. 

• Posted

Hey Joe,

Maus from the states here. I was diagnosed with Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis by several urologists about 4-5 months ago.  I underwent MANY courses of antibiotics but none seemed to work except for Doxycycline. Although I returned back negative for urinalysis and abnormal cd4 test, my symptoms remained with me until just about a week ago.  Although the etiology of our cases are different, the treatment options seem to be the same for both...eg prostate massage, pelvic floor exercises, NSAIDs. All of these things failed to work for me EXCEPT frequent masterbation (1x day) and including a large amount of dietary fiber and probiotics into my diet and reducing total coffee intake. If you have not done so already, maybe talk to your doctor about dietary changes. Hope you get better soon my man. 

Maus

• Posted

The link between prostatitis and gluten is becoming quite well known now. Google "prostatitis gluten" and you'll get a lot of hits.

• Posted

Hi joe

May I know specifically what you dubious vitamin you consume that cure 95% of the problematic prostatis ?

Really appreciated if you can share it because I'm suffering the same problem and don't really get what you mean by dubious vitamins 

Thanks 

• Posted

Glad to hear gluten free worked for you. Unfortunately I was never able to strongly correlate prostate relief with going gluten free. Things that helped more were abstaining from alcohol and coffee. I started going to a Naturopathic doctor a couple years ago, even had food sensitivity testing done a year ago and starting avoiding other foods such as dairy and beef. Also took vitamins and supplements such B complex, saw palmetto, etc. It all helped some but my PSA scores continued to climb until I ended up with a blockage and had to go to the emergency room and get a catheter put in this past January. A few days later I had the catheter removed and went on tamsulosin and finasteride. Neither drug seem to change much except to make my ejaculations more watery. My urologist thought my prostate was about 90 ccs so looking at my options I settled on a PAE procedure which I had done about 4 weeks ago in Denver, CO. So far I'm much better than pre procedure and have gone off the tamsulosin and finasteride drugs. My radiologist said to expect improvements up to 3 months post procedure so I'm looking forward to continued improvement.

• Posted

Hi Jim,

Hope you're feeling much better now. Why did you consider PAE procedure over TURP or over Pudendal nerve surgery or nerve block? Did you weigh different options? I guess I am trying to understand the thought process in determining how PAE procedure was better than other options out there. Thanks. 

• Posted

Hey man, i am really happy for you and i hope you are doing well. smile   I havea similar problem to use regarding my prostate, i was eating this commercial brand wholewheat bread called "massimo" massimo is the brand name of the bread i ate, right after i ate the bread i started getting prostate pain all of a sudden, i then tried to urinate and it too was difficult. I have eating this brand of bread the wholewheat one only though and i have a storng feeling thats what caused my prostate problem. I have one question, can urinate normally now, and pleas be honest yeah. Your answer would really help me alot and others who reads this post of yours and mine. The thing is, i am only 20 years old and im having this prostate problem and im very worried.  sad   I thought it may be caused my low testoaterone and im not sure whether i have low testosterone or not. In fact, i am going to get my testosterone level checked. Sorry for making this post long and sorry for my bad grammar and punctuation, english is my second language. I would really appreciate your help, thanks.   smile

• Posted

I began to suffer with prostatitis about 6 years ago and went through the typical treatment of rounds of antibiotics and painkillers. I even had TUMT , its a treatment to shrink the prostate, it was hell ! And it didn't work. But i started to keep track of when the pain will start and what i was doing when it did. This is what i learned. First off i havent had pain in years since . Anytime i did situps crunches leg raises i would have pain for days afterward so i stopped! When ever i would have to use the bathroom to do number 2 and pushed hard because i was in a rush or was a bit backed up it would cause pain, and absolutely no play back their that would definitely cause inflammation that you are prone to their. Use Motrin or which ever pain killer works for you thats over the counter and Turmeric which is extremely helpful for inflammation. And thats it. No pain. It took trial and error but it honestly worked. I hope this helps anyone else out there.

• Posted

Hi Joe. Have you lost a lot of weight as a consequence of avoiding gluten? 
  • Posted

Glad this worked out for you but i have been gluten free, dairy free, alcohol free, chocolate free for 25 years and i have been suffering with prostatitis for about 23 years. Diet restrictions help a little bit but not not very much.

I went low oxalate a few years ago and that seems to also help, probably more than the other dietary restrictions.

I recently started tamsulosin and hate the side effects but it seems to take the edge off the debilitating pain and frquency better than anything else i tried. However, it still only provides partial relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.