Prostatitis/Doxycycline

Posted , 16 users are following.

Good evening all,

I was hoping I could vent and get some advice on this nightmare which is chronic prostatitis.

I have suffered with pain at the tip of the penis/redness at the opening, slow urine flow/dribbling and scrotum pain for the last 14 months. In this time I have been given so many different creams which failed and likewise with Cipro and Doxycycline. All urine tests have been clear, bloods clear and all gum clinic checks carried out were clear. I have had 2 cytoscopys and everything was fine. A month ago I was diagnosed with chronic prostatitis.

It has been hell. I can't hold down employment and sex life has been non existent due to this. It has brought my life to a stop. I have 2 children under 2 and feel I am never positive when around them as this constant pain is bringing me down.

I was recently prescribed Cipro (1000mg a day for 4 weeks) and Doxycycline (2x 100mg a day for 2 weeks). I started both at the exact same time and within days the pain disapeared (very minimul), my mental health stabilised and I even started to have a sex life again with my partner. Two days after finishing the Doxycycline the pain has came back. It is exactly the same as it was before I started, bringing me back to square on.

What does this mean? It seems the Cipro isn't doing anything but the Doxy cleared me and returned when the doxy stopped? What can I do from here? Can I be on Doxy permanently or is there an alternative? Does this tell me what is causing my pain? I am pretty clueless to what doxy actually does....does this mean I have a serious infection that won't go or is it problems with muscles/nerves?

Sorry for the long post, I am just at the end of my tether.

Thanks in advance

Danny

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hate to say this but I have been battling this disease for 25 years without much luck. These are some of the countless things that I have tried over the years that have helped a little.

quercetin

saw palmetto

pygeum africanum

frequent hot sitz baths with epsom salt

cutting down on strength training

prostate massage

pelvic floor massage

flowmax

read "headache in the pelvis" which says it is all about muscle tension which I don't buy but it has helpful ideas.

most antibiotics don't work very well or they provide partial temporary relief. Among the ones I have tried over the years levaquin seems to work the best but it has some nasty side effects like all of the fluoroquinolone AB's.

Good luck to you all.

• Posted

A few more notes.

I went on a low oxalate diet a few years back and I found that to also be helpful. The idea is that some people have problems with accumulation of excess oxalic acid in their bodies which could cause formation of microscopic calcium oxalate crystals which irritate the urinary linings.

• Posted

Daniel,

Have you tried D-mannose, it s a type of sugar found in cranberries and other foods that prevent harmful bacteria like E-coli from sticking to your urinary track walls. You can also look into biofilm disruptors. Look it up on Google. You may have a tough biofilm that hides bacteria from the antibiotics. The biofilm disruptors usually contain enzymes, like serrapeptase , that can disolve the biofilm. There is alot of information on the internet about both these topics.

Thomas

• Posted

Hey Thomas,

That sounds like a good call. On one of my tests I was positive for Ecoli (so was my partner). After a round of antibiotics, we were both cleared but my symptoms remained. I will do some searching into it. I have my new procedure coming up soon too which should give me some results as to what is going on.

Thanks

Danny

• Posted

Thanks Thomas, i've just bought some so will keep you all posted!

• Posted

Hey Joey/Thomas,

is there any chance you could inbox me what you bought or what ones you are taking? I am reading about so many different strengths (I am thinking about getting 1000mg) and how often you take them. I am reading three in the morning and three in the evening? If this is the case then these pills are going to go fast!

Any advice?

Thanks

• Posted

Daniel,

With Dmannose I think it is more cost effective to buy the powder. It is sweet and when mixed with water makes a pleasant tasting drink. You can also mix it with cranberry juice. When you buy the pills you are paying for the labor of packing the pills. I have tried the Now brand but there are some others that are less expensive. I take about a teaspoon once or twice a day. A teaspoon is about a gram. If you have an infection you may want to take more but for maintenance you can take less.

With biofilm disruptors the only one I have tried is serrapeptase from Amazon. I am taking two 120000 unit pills at bedtime on an empty stomach. Some other enzymes that are recommended are NAC and nattokinase.

Hope this helps,

Thomas

• Posted

do you still have discharge/ urine leaking?

how do you notice it? damp underwear?

• Posted

I have also almost the same symptoms.

did you have a new sex partner? or did it come out of the blue?

still looking for a solution.

i think:

• an unknown bacteria
    • fungi
    • muscles or nerves
    • Posted

Hi bud,

I dont suffer from the damp underwear as such. The discharge is usually a jelly type discharge, usually a clear/greyish colour. I normally feel it when I am out at work or what not. When I go to the restroom the discharge is usually sitting over my urethra opening. Quite strange. I have shown pictures of it to my Uro who has told me it could be one of the symptoms of prostatitis?

This started around the time that I recieved oral sex from a female. I dont know whether it was coincidental or not the timing. But the pain started as a very sharp pain in the right testicle. The pain was so bad that I had to sleep sitting up in an armchair for a couple of weeks. I had to call an ambulance twice in this time as the pain was so bad. This gradually went away with pain killers but then the pain transferred to the urethra etc.

One of my samples showed enterococcus faecalis. I was given a round of antibiotics which dealt with this but my symptoms remained. All samples I have given since have come back clear but I still experience the problems.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.