Prostatitis inflammation driving me to despair

Posted , 11 users are following.

Are Naproxen and Ibroprofen any good as anti-inflammatories? Have people had any good experiences with them. What are the best doseages to achieve the maximum effect?

I think I've got a fungally infected prostate - I should be getting results of semen test back any day now - but in the meantime I just need some relief

Been doing the obvious - drinking water; avoiding alcohol, caffeine - still got to have some tea though, spicy food, red meat, dairy etc - my diet seems so restricted now it's ridiculous, maxing out on broccoli

Also done quercetin, saw palmetto and too many other supplements too numerous to name - because I've been dealing with candida and prostatitis

Nightmare

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi ian

Suggest you investigate having a PAE(Prostate Artery Embolization) ... this was very effective in my case. I had it done 17 months ago in Durban SA

Medical Aid paid for everything

• Posted

I have had chronic prostatis for 25 years as well as bph in more recent years. I was considering PAE because it is so non-invasive. If that doesn't work I would probably try Holep afterwards. Can you tell me your symptoms? Do you have prostatitis and/or BPH? Do you know how large your prostate is? Do you know if your median lobe is enlarged?

Do you know what the particles used in PAE are made of? Do they eventually biodegrade?

thanks

• Posted

Thanks for that. I saw a top urologist in London yesterday - I'll ask him about PAE. At the moment I am still waiting for the results of my semen test. The urologist says that even if comes up negative he will do a prostate massage to get fluid for a sample. If that's negative shockwave treatment is to be considered - if +ve anti-fungals if it's yeast.

He also says - and I don't know if I believe him - that my scrotal inflammation etc is caused by variocele rather than prostatitis - varicose veins in the testicles. He reckons I'd need a microsurgical denervation of the spermatic chord - cost £6500

Over all this treatment passage would cost £10k on top of what I've already spent. The NHS has been rather less use than a chocolate fire guard

• Posted

it would not be wise to advice a surgical procedure before making a diagnosis. An obstruction has to be established first and then find what is causing it. PAE may not solve the problem of "prostatitis" especially if it is infectious.

• Posted

i mean to say it would NOT be wise to advice surgical procedure

• Posted

They are both very good at anti inflammation. Read the instructions for the dosage. Avoid long term usage.

• Posted

The only supplements that I have found to be helpful are pumpkin seed extract and D-mannose. Make sure you get a reputable brand. I use ibuprophen every night before bed - 800 mg, and it also helps.

• Posted

What are you taking 800mg daily before for mainly ? Pain ? Sleep ?

• Posted

The anti inflammatory effect helps my nocturia. Without it, I'm up every hour. With it, I sleep up to two hours at a time.

• Posted

I see that you're taking it for its ability to slow down urine production. There are some medications that were made specifically for that, and may be less dangerous. Do you have retention ? It may be the reason for you to have to get up so many times at night.

• Posted

I have been dealing with urologists for 30 years. I have tried many things, including myrbetriq (blood pressure skyrockets), oxybutinin (creates drymouth all day), flowmax (side effects outweigh benefits), Alfuzosin (worked pretty well for a while, then became ineffective), Rapaflo (retrograde ejaculation, not much positive), and others. I know what works for me, and I also occassionally self-cath. I have also had two PAE's and a urolift (left me worse off, and in 6 months of pain).

• Posted

Have you tried antidiuretics such as desmopressin ? How about self cathing before bedtime since you already know how ?

• Posted

ramblin,

Why don't you just get a plasma button or bipolar TURP and be done with all of this total aggravation you are going through? I mean, you are out for the operation, no pain, you go home a few hours later on Foley for a few days, then it's healing. You can clear your bladder again. You can throw away most of your meds, stop the self cath, and get your life back. I also had a PAE and a few months ago a bipolar TURP - actually easier than the PAE. I still take Flomax but may discontinue that soon - I don't think I need it anymore. You need to get your life back. Dealing with BPH issues can ruin the quality of your life so you need to do something that will actually get the job done.

Tom

• Posted

You sound like a urologist. TURP is always on their mind.

• Posted

I am not in the medical field. I just had a bipolar TURP in April. I have gone through years of torment with BPH and prostate cancer issues. The TURP I had was easy and effective. Same reports from many here on this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.