Prostatitis procedures

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone know anything about microwave treatment of prostate vs. greenlight. An elderly physician that is an urologist said that microwave is a much more humane way of treating prostate enlargement and urinary retention. Anyone out there have the micro treatment. Success or failure.?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mark... I had a Greenlight about 5 years ago, currently I'm 64. For me it was a waste of money. Subsequent Urologists (2 of them) that I told that I had the Greenlight, they agreed it's a waste of money. Agreed it's more humane than a Turp, only if it would work. I had a Turp this past May 24th, fortunately I had great results from the Turp. Not all do as I understand. Wish I could have given more positive feedback back about the Greenlight. Perhaps if your prostate is smaller than mine, maybe you will have better results?

Best of luck, Denis

• Posted

Wait, Greenlight decimates the Prostate, why did it not work, do not get it.?
    • Posted

All I know is it didn't improve voiding or retention, that's the fact for me. You asked I told you my results! Perhaps there are others with positive results.

• Posted

GL is now the NICE approved first choice treatment for BPH in the UK.

I had it in 2005 and and had no later problems and life was back to normal by day three.

Only problem was that my prostate regrew over the years and I needed another laser procedure in 2013.

Google TUMP (microwave) it has had poor results over the years and most patients later had GL or TURP. 

• Posted

Mark,

Microwave is called TUMT. It has been around for a long time, but is being replaced by the newer methods of treatment - laser for example. Greenlight is one such laser but Thulium laser gets better reviews. The most "humane" way to treat BPH is PAE, then Urolift, then Rezum, then laser including Holmium (HOLEP for very large prostates), then TURP. The goal is: best result, fewest side effects - least pain, lowest cost, close to home, short time on catheter, etc. 

Tom

• Posted

My repeat procedure in 2013 when my prostate was 135 grm. was Holmium/Thulium laser but I have not heard of many others having it.

The UK surgeon (not a urologist) had been doing it for at least ten years and has demonstrated it around rthe world.

• Posted

that is a very large prostate, usually men's prostate's are 80 grams.  Well it is good is was successful.

• Posted

What does PAE mean, what does it involve, and what is urolift, what do they do.? I always have between 300-400ml of urine in my bladder and my urologist wants to do Greenlight but I resist.  What is Rezum?
    • Posted

PAE is prostate artery embolization. There is a long standing discussion in this group titled "has anyone out there had a prostate artery embolization". Check it out, very useful. In a nutshell, much less invasive, put little micro-beads in the arteries to block blood flow to the prostate which causes the prostate to shrink. There's also another discussion specifically about Rezum. And there are some comments about urolift in the PAE discussion.

• Posted

It was 35 gms in 1995 when first diagnosed and at that time I was advised to have a TURP as a matter of some urgency. An offer that I refused. It was It was a long wait for GL to reach our shores and was 75 grms when I had GL in 2005, After that it continued to grow like a weed till I had surgery in 2013. When I had a check up last year it was 55 grms but no urgency or retention. I was offered Avodart but refused it.
    • Posted

Don't want retrograde ejaculation,in case I want to get a woman pregnant.

• Posted

Discuss it with them. Where I had mine done they did it with great care. Be careful if you are offered Tamsulosin as it eventually recuces sperm output and can also cause retro.
  • Posted

Mark  How old are you.  Do they offer any other procedure.  Try a Uro-lift or a PAE they will help you.  Also look at the videos of a Turp or a green light .  I don't think any man should have any part of his body cut and cord out like that it distroys your prostate and you have a chance of no sex likfe and being incontinence and alot of bleeding.  Don't be talked into anything that you have not looked into.  Get all the pros and cons Some doctor will only offer what they know.... please   Ken

• Posted

I hate the concept of retrograde ejaculation and who knows what else will can happen. What do they do in uro-lift.?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.