Prostrate Enlargement wearing Supra pubic catheter.

Posted , 11 users are following.

iam a 84 year old male I have a benign very enlarged prostrate and have been wearing a catheter since November 2014.Each time catheter is changed I get urinary tract infections that sometimes leads to sepsis within. 24 hrs. And hospitalised. I am becoming resistant to many antibiotics. The doctors and anaesthetists are saying a turp operation is high risk to me though as is constantly getting sepsis. I'm damned if I do and if I don't.   Has anyone been through this situation and or made decision to have Turp.  Very distressed. Advice please.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about that. As a youngster of 78 a year ago I was faced by something similar - I'd had a catheter in for some weeks and found it quie distressing - and that wasn't as long as you. I was advised to have a TURP, but even a cursery search of this showed there were many variations of this - with various advantages/disadvatages and different views from different urologists.

So first off I suggest you do check out all the alternative types of TURP - the original, UroLift, various laser ones to my knowledge. Fellow forum members will no doubt mention others and give more detail. 

Then check which ones, if any, may be possible for you and for you to consider.

After that I'd get a 2nd or 3rd opinion from other urologists - they don't all agree for the same patient as to what is best/possible. Some do not offer all the alternatives anyway.

My TURP was a HoLEP laser turp. It went well, tho' it took 14 months for all the symptoms to cease. But in most of that time I was better able to urinate. I didn't suffer from ED, but no longer ejeculate.

Good luck

• Posted

My urologist and GP have discovered, through urine testing, the exact bacteria I had when getting recurrent infections. (Not due to catheters). I now have a prescription as a preventive (prophylactic) for the same antibiotic that worked to clear the infections, and am following instructions to take one dose a day. So far the infection hasn't returned. I'm 65, fit for anaesthetic and waiting for TURP. The risks for you of anaesthetic are probably going to make most procedures a no-no, but surely more could be done for you to prevent the infections? I truly sympathise.
  • Posted

You all have given me support and advice for me to make decisions.  I have been on many antibiotics to use as a prophylactic, I was given one only a week ago prior to  urine testing for culture growth I , received a phone call today to say that I have a new bug they say that is resistant to the antibiotic prescribed.  This is ongoing.  A second urologist told me if I have the op it would be like  being thrown around a football field..haha.  I will ask about the various Turp procedures. 

Endocronologist said sepsis will take my life and anaesthetist said high risk to have operation. There all saying no right answer.  Very hard for my family and myself to make a decision. Daughter not at peace with this 

• Posted

Is it worth discussing a spinal block anaesthetic with your doctors! The convential TURP and even the latest Laser based procedures can all be carried out safely using this type of anaesthetic.  It would remove any concerns they may have of you undergoing a GA.  I've had 3 procedures carried out using a spinal block over the last three years because I have a dodgy ticker and I would recommend it to anyone else in the same position.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Posted

I wondered that as well.  Do you have any spinal issues?  I have a collapsing spine with stenosis at L4 and 5 along with prolapsed discs in the lumbar region however, it did not stop the anaethetist from performing the spinal block injection and I  had no whatsoever.
    • Posted

That should have read " and I had no side effects whatsoever".
    • Posted

No spinal issues. I will talk to Urologist as well about a epidural
  • Posted

Dear Godslove (Agape),

I'm so sorry to hear of your condition. 

I had a very enlarged prostate and had all the symptoms that went with it except I didn't have to have a catheter. 

I resesrched all the various treatments available and visited three different urologists who reccomended TURP, laser, open surgery respectively. 

None of these are pleasant options ...quite barbaric really. 

Then an I discovered PAE...Prostate Artery Embolisation. It's done by an interventional radiologist , not a urologist. They basically go in through an artery in your groin with a catheter and inject tiny pellets into the arteries feeding your prostate. The reduced blood supply shrinks the prostate and relieves the BPH symptoms. 

I had mine done 8 months ago (I'm 70) and all my symptoms have been fixed. Only get up once a night, and pee like a horse. I strongly reccomend you check this out rather than the medieval torture of TURP. 

God bless you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.