Prostrate Enlargement wearing Supra pubic catheter.

Posted , 11 users are following.

iam a 84 year old male I have a benign very enlarged prostrate and have been wearing a catheter since November 2014.Each time catheter is changed I get urinary tract infections that sometimes leads to sepsis within. 24 hrs. And hospitalised. I am becoming resistant to many antibiotics. The doctors and anaesthetists are saying a turp operation is high risk to me though as is constantly getting sepsis. I'm damned if I do and if I don't.   Has anyone been through this situation and or made decision to have Turp.  Very distressed. Advice please.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you tried using a different type of catheter or even self intermittent catherization?
    • Posted

One in the Urether didn't work causing problems in kidneys. I am currently  wearing a supra pubic

• Posted

Hi Godsloveforus1;  May I first ask what meds are you on???  What size is your prostate???   The PAE will not work for everyone.  I have had both a "PAE" and a "UROLIFT" by two different Doctors.  They both do different things but do try to accomplish similar goals.  Its pointless to do a procedure unless your Doctor has a "High Degree of Confidence" in the outcome.   At age 84 you need to rely "heavily" on your Doctors advice as opposed to us guys here on this site.  While we all "Mean Well" we are not Surgeons.   God Bless You. 
  • Posted

You may have already tried this, but I found intermittent self catheterization infinitely better than the indwelling catheter. I'm not sure it is possible in your situation.  It is easy to learn and not nearly as distasteful as it sounds.

Also, are you a candidate for the PAE procedure?  You may want to talk to one of the doctors who is doing it.  I had mine done by Ari Isaacson at UNC Healthcaare.  Minimally invasive, minimal pain and minimal anesthesia!

Best of luck!

• Posted

Doctors saying "no right answer" damned if I domdamn if I don't. I have come on this site for support, ideas and further advise from,people who have had procedures to put my mind at rest.  ChuckP.  Thank you all.

• Posted

Godslove, I think you have been talking to the wrong people. Very few general practice doctors have heard of PAE. 

Most urologists are threatened by PAE and will try to talk you out of it as it affects their wallet. 

At least talk an interventional radiologist to see whether PAE is a possibility for you. 

• Posted

Something odd happened a couple of months ago, I started to urine through penis as SPC was blocked. They unblocked it and doing in through Catheter.   I'm concerned as they told me I hVe avert enlarged prostrate and void. I'm not too sure about this now as urinated normally.   Anyone else been through this whilst wearing catheters ?
  • Posted

If no doctor can help you then try to contact a university medical school near you and ask to speak to the head of the urology dspartment. Very often they will give you advice in the right direction or they will refer you to the right doctors.
  • Posted

I know you have a lot of risk factors going into any sort of surgery.  I did too.  I was suffering from the exact same issues you are.  With me, I finally had a UTI with a bacteria that did not have an oral antibiotic that would treat it. Very Scary. I was rushed to have a Peripherally inserted central catheter or Picc line installed in my arm and was taught how to give myself IV antibiotics 3 times a day. I was warned that If this bug became resistant to the IV antibiotic I was on, I was very much in danger of dying due to sepsis.  I've had one bout of sepsis, and I technically died in the ER. Fortunately they brought me back.

I was fortunate in that my BPH was small enough that I could have the Urolift surgery.  I had it just over 3 weeks ago and so far no infection and I can pee like I was 18 again.

I agree with many of the comments below. Get a 2nd or 3rd Opinion.  Look for Urologists in your area that specialize in   Prostate artery embolization, Urolift (although it sounds like your prostate may be too large for this, but better to ask a doctor), Green Light Laser Treatment, or Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP).  I only have experience with the Urolift, but it was completely successful and took away a lot of extra suffering I was going through.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply sir.  It's not good news is it. I've had sepsis 4 times now, heart attack and still here to tell the story.  I'm now resistant to majority of AB s. Had internal bleeding at supra pubic they couldn't get a catheter through the urether. I'm now going to have to go ahead with the Turp as this is what they are advising again. Thankyou for your support PhysicsGuy. 
    • Posted

I'm sorry... but having all the urological problems I have had, I've known several people with TURPs.  It is still listed as the gold standard against what the new procedures are measured against.

Of the three people I can think of off the top of my head; all had successful operations.  One recovered within months and has had no issues. The other two both took much longer with the longest one taking well over a year to a year and a half before things settled down completely. However, they all are now WAY better off than they were before the surgery.  I don't know how you were, but I could maybe empty 50ml from a 10-minute fight in the bathroom before my surgery. Now just a month later, Often I can empty over 800 ml in 12 seconds.   It's like I'm 16 again... minus the sex drive (which I wish would come back).

While the Dr's have to tell you all the risks, I suspect you have a very high probability of being quite happy with the result once the healing is complete (which could be a while). Good luck.

By the way, I had the supra pubic catheter. Not fun at all. Difficult to keep clean, My Dr. Wanted the extra cord taped a certain way which of course I accidently cut one day.It's always great coming into the ER with about 2 mm of catheter left that can't be shut off or pulled out. Not to mention I felt like a complete idiot and constantly smelled like urine.  . 

Best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.