Protection from medical boot rubbing on incision site ideas?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had foot surgery to remove an "Accessory Bone" from the arch of my Right foot.  The incision scar (which is still healing) is about 4" long, starting from the center of my arch to mid heal.   Was non-weight barring for 4 weeks, but still needed to wear a boot so the muscles stretched out enough.  Was having problems with the boot edge touching into my incision area (it was right where the plastic edge/foam padding was).  Today was the first official wieght barring day.  My doctor gave me a boot with an air linner to use, hoping it would help.  Could stand on 2 feet, and take 3 steps by the end of today.  Unfortunatly, everytime I took a step, my boot would dig into my incision area making it very painful.  Even wearing the boot while elevating is painful, since it is still putting pressure on the incision area.

Does anyone have anytips for protecting my incision area from pressure pain while walking?  Tried taking one of the extra foam squares and velcroing it to my incision area, no luck.  A larger sized boot will not work, they all have the same width at the bottom of the boot.  I should also note that I usually have to wear wide width shoes, normal width shoes are too tight for my heal and arch.   Would love any suggestions, I want to be able to walk on 2 feet again.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

Sounds very difficult and that you have tried the obvious things. I have had a lot of problems after my broken ankle and plate with my skin becoming hypersensitive, and I just wondered if that might be playing a part for you in the scar being painful. I am not quite sure if you are just 4 weeks from your surgery, which I am, but my scar has settled down so it is not sensitive ( whereas it was exquisitely painful before) by doing these slightly weird desensitisation techniques suggested by my physio. They work on reintroducing lots of stimuli to the skin to encourage it to get used to touch and stop sending pain messages out easily. Every hour do 5 minutes of touching it with things from feathers, soft animals, tea towels, rough material, plus also massaging it with cream, all the while looking at it ( not sure possible with your surgery) and preferably either sucking on a nice sweet, or smelling something nice or listening to favourite music - I know it sound bizarre but the physio says it means you associate pleasant things with the touching. Bruce Springsteen will be forever associated with breaking my ankle from now on! I also found on the internet that fast tapping on the scar for 3 minutes is helpful too.

All rather odd I know but a well recognised treatment for sensitive scars ( usually more with hand surgery) so might be worth a try. Certainly can't harm!

Good Luck

Janey

• Posted

Have had an ace wrap over the incision area 99% of the time since the surgery.  It's wierd, but even though I can't see it I can feel the location of the incision area all day long (boot or no boot).  Not sure if that means it's extra sensitive, but the skin hasn't formed in 50% of the incision area.  The pain level is dealable when the boot is off, sometimes can handel it (when on pain meds) if the boot is on, not  dealable when trying to walk with my whole weight on the boot is on though.  Had a visit from my home service physical therapist today and was able to use crutches to prevent me from putting all of my weight on the foot while walking.  Unfortunaly, can't hold anything and "walk", but it is a start...

• Edited

Hi

I am 13 weeks post ankle surgery, plate and 6 screws, and walking in my shoes unaided. The boot was unconfortable, but I got use to wear it. Wear cotton socks. Also massage the incissuon area for the soft tissue to heal. I used coconut oul. Good luck with your recovery

• Edited

You lucky dog you! I can't believe you're walking with shoes! You gave great advice with the coconut oil! I use warm olive oil and lavender oil to help with circulation! I'm almost 11 wks out and still can't bear any weight other than resting my foot on the floor. I have 1 plate and 2 screws but surgeon said I will flatten my ankle if I put pressure on before it's ready. A drunk driver hit me head on April 22 and broke my ankle and left hand. It's a long journey that's for sure but I was happy to hear of your progress! Take care and enjoy your accomplishments!!

• Posted

That's great to hear you are walking in shoes, gives hope for the rest of us as we are healing.  Been using an ace wrap on my foot, haven't tried to wear socks because the boot tends to make my foot get warm without a sock.  Will try a sock and on top of the wrap and see if that helps. 

• Posted

As long as your incision is healed you can rub warm olive oil or coconut oil on it. I know it aids in healing. As far as the pressure from the boot, you could try using a non adhesive bandage do it's not rubbing directly on the scar. I feel your pain! I'm 11 wks this Saturday out of surgery. I was hit head on by a drunk driver. I have one plate and 2 screws in my ankle and I'm in a walking boot but can only allow my foot to just rest on the floor. No other weight bearing allowed. I'm sorry for your discomfort in all of this and I hope things get better for you very soon! Allow yourself time to heal and don't push it. Do what you can. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 Good luck with your recovery!!

• Posted

Sounds like you have been through a lot!  4 weeks non-weight bearing was not fun, so 11 weeks must be aweful!  Sending good thoughts of recovery your way!

Tried to add a photo, but it's too big for the 2 MB size limit (Not tech savey). My incision area has had the stiches out since week 2, they put some sort of medical tape over the incision area to hold it closed for 2 weeks and it came off yesterday.  The area that the tapes was is still not fully healed over with skin.  Will the Oil cause infection at this point?

• Posted

I wouldn't put it on until it's completely scabbed over but you can use neosporin on an open wound and will help prevent infection. I used it and thank you for your well wishes!

• Posted

It is scabbed over, just no skin growth on 50% yet.  Over the last few days have noticed  that the healing of the scar has improved, hoping soon the scabs will be gone. Also seeming to have less scar sensitivity after I have been using a walker to get around on two feet half the time I have to get up, so I don't put my whole weight on it.  Things are starting to improve finally.

• Posted

I have same problem. 2 weeks post surgery with ankle fracture , plate and screws. I am

Grinning and gritting my teeth . It sucks !

• Posted

I understand your pain, relied on pain meds a lot during the first 3 weeks.  Was able to cut back on them on week 4, trying somthing less strong this week.  Hang in there! 
    • Posted

On week 4 are you off the Rx pain meds? It has been two weeks today. I am doing one pain pill every four hours and now going to cut down to one every six hours. (Hydrocodone). I would love to be off of them in two weeks! It causes constipation and I hate dealing with that!
    • Posted

I understand the constipation issue, had that for 1 1/2 weeks.  Take a probiatic every day and if needed add a stool softner too.  Once the problem is under control, it is easy to manage with just the probiatic everyday.

Was on Oxycodone for 2 weeks and then tried out Hydrocodone.  Unfortuantly,  after 1 day of Hydrocodone I had a sever nerve pain attack (burning, throbing and stinging pain at a 10) for at least two hours (passed out from the pain at that point). Found out the pain attack was my nerves starting to feel all of the pain it had been supressing. Was then put back on Oxycodone to manage the pain.  At week 3 I was able to only have to take 0-2 hydrocodone during the day and 1 oxycodone with a muscle relaxer at night (my foot was in really bad pain in the evenings).  I also have a history of my muscles locking up for extended periods of time if in a boot, so I have to take muscle relaxers.  Now at the 4 3/4 week point and I am taking Tramodal during the day as needed (0-2 pills) and a muscle relaxer at night (a hydrocodone also at night if my foot is really bugging me).   Have had many days where the pain has been able to be managed with just the Tramadol.

Hang in there!  As the days pass, your pain will require lighter pain meds.

• Posted

I am 8 weeks in a boot. My diagnosis is Charcot and cellulitis. I've tried to different boots and both rub on the top and side. I've tried all types of padding and socks. Fortunately, my foot is getting better from the Charcot and cellulitis, but the rubbing might be causing another problem. I wanted to mention that my pain initially was of the chart. Each time I would hang me foot over the bed or couch a burning and stinging sensation would take over. Initially, I was on prednisone. But, we know you can't stay on that for any time. My doctor but me on gabapentin and that has been a life saver so far. Good luck as you move forward.

• Posted

Hi. I feel your pain. The boot killed me had me in tears every time it went on. Surgeon told me not to wear it if it caused pain. One thing I will say is to need Ro have legs at same height when in boot. Even walking is vital for straight healing and to avoid secondary injury and pain to the hips back and knee. Look up "even up shoe " or where a high shoe on good foot. You will notice foot goes out to the side if legs are uneven. That's how you will heal. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.