Protection from medical boot rubbing on incision site ideas?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had foot surgery to remove an "Accessory Bone" from the arch of my Right foot.  The incision scar (which is still healing) is about 4" long, starting from the center of my arch to mid heal.   Was non-weight barring for 4 weeks, but still needed to wear a boot so the muscles stretched out enough.  Was having problems with the boot edge touching into my incision area (it was right where the plastic edge/foam padding was).  Today was the first official wieght barring day.  My doctor gave me a boot with an air linner to use, hoping it would help.  Could stand on 2 feet, and take 3 steps by the end of today.  Unfortunatly, everytime I took a step, my boot would dig into my incision area making it very painful.  Even wearing the boot while elevating is painful, since it is still putting pressure on the incision area.

Does anyone have anytips for protecting my incision area from pressure pain while walking?  Tried taking one of the extra foam squares and velcroing it to my incision area, no luck.  A larger sized boot will not work, they all have the same width at the bottom of the boot.  I should also note that I usually have to wear wide width shoes, normal width shoes are too tight for my heal and arch.   Would love any suggestions, I want to be able to walk on 2 feet again.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update: Have been able to accomplish a lot more then I first expected after being allowed to put weight on my foot.  Have been using a walker to help prevent me from putting all of my weight on my foot while working on walking on 2 feet.  My pain at the incision area has decreased dramatically during the 3 days I have been using the walker.  Still not able to put my whole weight on my foot, but I am getting closer to it. Use my knee scooter 1/3 of the day and the walker 3/4 of the day.   Still can only handle 5 minutes on the walker, but working my way up to longer periods of time.

If anyone has been through or working through the re-learning how to walk stage, I would love any suggestions of things you did that helped you.

Feeling optomisitic now that there has been a lot of progress of these 4 days.  That is partially due to the support I have recieved from this post.  It is good to know I am not alone in this battle and that so many people have and are going through it. Thanks for the suggestions and words of support!

• Posted

Hi, good to know u r making progress. I had ankle surgery 7 weeks ago and 2 plates and 9 screws put in. I was given a boot on my 6 weeks appointment and told I can Fwb until it doesn't hurt but the same day as I had to go to the hospital and also my Gp I had a long day and my leg was swollen very badly. The sutures on my incision has split up. I am back to using knee scooter and elevation and ice since 5 days now. The stitches have now almost dried up and I'm thinking to start a bit of walking from tomorrow!!! Will update how I get on. Good luck to you too

• Posted

My suture site also kept splitting when dry tho. I Was told to apply betadine several times a day. I always had fear of infection so had sanitizer bottles everywhere . Always feared cross infect from cruches wheelchair cane boot so sanitizer on toilet shelf  When scabs came off my leg I was left with holes that exposed almost to bone. At 14 weeks the top of wound still not quite healed. Sick of scabby leg. 
    • Posted

That's awesome about getting to start putting weight! How's it going? As far as your spot splitting open... how did they say to keep

It from

Doing that?

• Posted

Hi Christina, thanks. I am practicing walking slowly with boot on and crutches and I think putting about 75 percent weight as it's been only 2 days and a bit scared really. There is not much pain apart from the heel feels funny and pains a bit when putting weight on the leg. Regarding the stitches opening up I dint really go back to the dr as it happened the same night I came from my appointment. As it wasn't that bad I thought il see for couple of days and then go to the dr if needed. It's really hard for me to get anywhere as I don't have much help with transportation. I did not put any weight and dint use the boot. Just kept it clean and in sunshine (managed to get some from the window by my bed last week) to dry which seems to have worked. Have managed to get a physio appointment next week (had to choose a far hospital) .

Just scared of physio but cannot avoid it. I stopped the pain killers by week 3 and just had one the day I went to 6 weeks appointment. Hate medicines but may have to start again when physio starts.

How are you doing. Are you off your pain killers now?

• Posted

Hello. How did they treat your holes? I'm at 11 weeks with a hole. They packed it and gave me antibiotics. How did they treat u? How long did it take u to heal? Any suggestions ? Help I'm frightened .  

• Posted

Hi sorry for late reply.  Life gets in the way at times. The hole. Well it was disgusting could see tissue and sinew bone. Was scary because I had verve damage I couldn’t even put a wound cover on it. So I ate antibiotics like candy smeared betadine over in around and waited for scab to form. Slept with leg hanging over side of bed couch wherever I could sleep in short bursts. Antibiotic gave me a condition we lovingly refer to  as “tapass” not pretty. And couldn’t have pain relief cos allergies and omg the hives  in places I didn’t know I had. Once scab formed well I kept it moist with betadine so it didn’t crust and fall out(it did it once ). It took close to 2 weeks before I felt comfortable to salt soak.  Ahhhhhhh I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you don’t have the nerve pain.   Xxxjen 
    • Posted

Hey. Thanks. Did u wear your boot any way after ur u found out about the hole? Did you do PT with the hole? 
    • Posted

Hi again. No I could not wear boot. It caused too much pain on nerve damage. Even the breeze hurt. I tried to but cried every time it touched. I’m a pretty tough old thing but that bought me down in a screaming heap. Surgeon said only wear boot for support and it shouldn’t hurt. If your going to wear the boot make sure you have an Even Up Shoe on other foot. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.