Protective Swim wear

Posted , 14 users are following.

Can any one tell me if their is any thing I can buy to protect me from 

the clorine for the lichen Sclerosus as I have become very over weight and have lupus and ME but use to love swimming with thanks x

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would be so interested to hear of the effects of chlorine on one's LS, either causative or exacerbating.  We have a chlorine pool and I had so much inflammation at the end of the swim season last year am am very leery of swimming this season even tho in the past I swam everyday for years.  Does the chlorine bother anyone else...lasting or temporary?  Thx so much for your input.

• Posted

Lyn I have a swimming pool which is meticulously maintained and cleaned out very day, and I have never had any problems, that said, I don't swim every day, maybe once a week which may have some bearing on this, and the pool is only used by myself and my husband.
  • Posted

I too had a pool and kept the chlorine levels at the lowest rate for a clear pool and like Guppy only i and the family used the pool, however when using a friends pool in Oz the chemicals were Not Good for me! and i found lack of labia meant water entered where water shouldnt - so i stopped swimming. However incontinence pants - for old ladies may fit the bill for you Carol- they are supposed to keep the urine in so i imagine they could keep the water out!. I would also lather myself in vaseline as added protectiion. I havent been near a swimming pool lately - sold the house withthe pool so havent tried out this theory - good luck

sue

• Posted

There are no leakproof incontinent pants in this country... Its a disgrace! And they aren't only for old ladies... many people who are quite young need them. Good ones are very expensive and are only made abroad. I am afraid that this condition can cause incontinence if it affects and scars the urethra and bladder. There needs to be more awareness for the requirements for this. Why can't we make the best incontinence materials in this country...instead of importing the worst and the cheapest?
    • Posted

My mother wears incontinence pants. A total seal would be unhealthy. Keeping urine that dribbles is much easier than keeping water out when you're submerged. You'd need tight sheet rubber legs and waist. Wouldn't make sense when we're so careful to live in loose cotton clothes.

You couldn't pay me to swim in a public pool. Guppy's perfectly balanced water is good, but a public pool needs a lot of 'shocking' with clorine, so it would be bad. Salt water sounds really good, though.

• Posted

Surely the length of time wearing the inco pants for swimming wouldnt cause too much harm and the cold water would someway counteract the heat normally generated?

The other thought was to wear a wet suit -which is advised when swimming where jelly fish may lurk 

Hope all is going well with you

Sue

• Posted

I never connected this before but when I first experienced the awful onset of this condition I was on holiday in the French Alps and had been swimming in a chlorinated pool that morning. I spent the most painful itchy night but had no idea how bad it would become. That was 15 years ago and no ojne had ever heard of Lichen Sclerosis. (I also had Planus at the same time.) I was not diagnosed or treated for 8 years! It was the worst time of my life. I think there is a great deal more to the chlorine than meets the eye... or possibly the pink Diatomaceous Earth powder used in the filters ? Or Bromine, although I swam happily in a Bromine pool for a few years. I would not go back in a pool again especially with Chlorine. I have a complete remission from this condition but have had many auto immune conditions since... including Graves disease and now PMR.
    • Posted

Like yourself I also have lichen planus and therefore I have always thought  because of this I had a propensity to Lichen Schlerous being that they are from the same family, and so I suppose when I got my diagnosis I wasn't that shocked, It was only much later that I became shocked when I  realized the ramifications of LS.  

I agree that probably many swimming pools aren't that well maintained, and could possibly be a trigger for the onset of this condition, but then I also happen to think that it could possibly be one of many things, like horse riding, bike riding, hormones, any one of these could be triggers, or even an inherited defective gene from a family member,  no one really knows for sure what causes it, but once set in motion there is no going back unfortunately, which is why if you go into remission its important to keep on doing what your doing and not to change anything!

• Posted

I am a fellow swimmer and ls sufferer...i was diagnosed last summer and as soon as i started using clobetasol i got realy bad burning in the chlorine. Sadly i gave up on swimming..however I would really love to go back to the outdoor pool this summer. I tried lathering up with vaseline ..it didnt really help...waiting for some creative suggestions!
    • Posted

Clove tassel makes your skin even thinner so no wonder the chlorine burns more.
    • Posted

I think Clove Tassels is an Excellant name for our loved/hated/feared Clobetasol!!!

May be i will use Cloves Tassels in future ....!

• Posted

Me too, I love to swim, but haven't because of LS.  However, I haven't found an answer to go swimming in spite of.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.