Prozac has stopped working after 2 months:( now what?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been on Prozac 4 months and 2 of them were better and now I'm going back to the way I was before. What do I do now? I'm so miserable and don't understand why this is happening plus I'm pregnant.

1 like, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you had previously, it is something that is very hard to deal with, hopefully the counselling/therapy will help.

I noticed you said 'only taking 5mg of Prozac because I'm scared it will hurt the baby now', ideally it best not to take any medication during pregnancy but also 5mg will not have much benefit on the way you feel. It is important to discuss with your GP and tell them everything you are feeling and they can weigh up the risks and can advise you on the whether taking the prozac during pregnancy is best for you and the baby.

Best wishes.

• Posted

It has been recommended by my high risk maternal fetal doc and obgyn. They told me to up the meds if need be. 5

Mg was helping me because I'm extremely sensitive to meds. I had this problem before after a miscarriage and took 10 mg which helped get me back to normal. It has been my decision to stay at 5mg. The benefit out weighs the risk because anxiety isn't good for the baby as well they said. I was doing well till this week. I appreciate your wishes I see a therapist next week. Ideally I don't want on medication because I'm pregnant but I don't think laying in bed crying 24/7 would be healthy either.

• Posted

It is good that you have had advice from the obgyn, they are in the best position to advise rather than GP.

If you have recently reduced from 10mg to 5mg in the last couple of weeks then the withdrawal effects could be part of the way you are feeling.

I don't have intrusive thoughts but have anxiety which causes constant over thinking, worrying, indecision and physical symptoms - headaches, tight chest, racing heart, nausea. My depression varies between being tearful and other times I have spent most of the day in bed for several days with no energy. I don't feel suicidal as I have always had a fear of dying and have panic attacks if I think about it, I try and remember that better times will come again and I use alcohol and in the past cannabis to numb the feelings (I know it is a bad idea).

It is hard to deal with everything when you have to keep going and can't take some time out. I know it will be a worrying time throughout the pregnancy but hopefully the scans will be reassuring. Best wishes.

• Posted

Sorry I wasn't trying to seem hateful. I had a bad day and am not happy about having to take medication while pregnant. I completely understand about the anxiety. I use to have health anxiety which is why the depression was a big shock to me. I wasn't ever on 10 mg this time. I was previously before after a miscarriage. I have only been on 5 mg this time and found out I was pregnant afterwards so I never upped the medication. Of course I would rather not take anything at all but last time I was pregnant I had a miscarriage at 5 months and was taking only prenatal vitamins and the baby had numerous problems. This time I'm almost 5 months and everything has been good. I have prayed every single night for this baby and myself. I would love to stop the medication but my Drs worry that my anxiety/depression will be worse. They said 5 mg is an extremely low dose and that it won't bother anything. I keep my faith and pray this is true. Thank you!
    • Posted

No problem. Sorry, I didn't mean to make you worry more about the medication, I mentioned it as it is sometimes overlooked by GPs. I didn't know you already had good advice.

I was very anxious when my wife was pregnant due to going through cycles of IVF, an early miscarriage and then nearly having to have a premature c-section due to concerns about growth rate.

I understand in part how hard it must be for you, and hope seeing the therapist helps. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello nicole,i m on fluoxetine many years ago, in the past it worked at first days,just 2 or 5 days back to it and all my aches were gone,not for the present, 3 years with it 20 mg was my highest dose i dont support side effects like when i was 32,33,34 i have now 45 it make my Depression go worse. So i m trying to come off it.when i become clean of my système i will not put those chemicals product in my mouth, if i did not took them mye be i m fine now.for you i think that you must change it but start the new one at low dose and see what will result keep taking a verry low dose it is better for you,no anxiolytiques too. 5 to 10 mg of antidepressant will be enough not higher! Give 2 or 3 weeks. If you dont feel good tell your Doctor to change to an other class of AD. Untill you find yours.Good luck( try to come off this poison it is destroying you but before try to find you a good Doctor) goodbye !
  • Posted

Hi just wondering how you are feeling now? Im on lovan 20mg for ptsd and anxiety. 4 weeks ago i was at my worst couldnt leave my room little own take my kids to the park. Ive always had anxiety but nothing like this that sticks around 24.7. I started feeling alot better by week 4 of taking my meds now week 6 i feel like im going insane again... just wanting some hope as i dont want to change medication and go through the side effects again

• Posted

Hi! I'm so sorry that it took me a long time to reply. I hope that your feeling better. It honestly took me forever to feel better. It was like 4 months but I still had periods of up and down. I had a lot going on also like miscarriages and then pregnancy. I had a hard time taking medicine but have been on 10mg of Prozac for 10 months. I still struggle occ. and could probably do better if I upped the dosage but I'm 50x better than I use to be. I'm not back to myself but I'm happy to be with my girls. It takes lots of prayers! 🙏🏻

• Posted

Im so sorry to hear about your losses. Im very happy your feeling good tho. Im doing better but not 100% i guess i just have to understand not everyone has good days all the time. I had a huge attack yesterday it teally scared me but if i keep busy im not anxious as much xx
  • Posted

Can I just say how much you all have helped me in this. I have PPD and it has been a rough journey for about 6 months. I started taking Prozac two months ago and I was doing good and then I hit I guess you can say a blip. I experience intrusive thoughts constantly and I HATE THEM because I know it's not me.. but when I'm in the moment i don't know how to react and I rather stay away from my child until it gets better.... It sucks. But after reading this... You guys gave me so much hope to know this is not me, and it will get better in due time. I just want to say thank you because I know I'm not alone

• Posted

Hi all...i was going through all the conversations...i have episodes of depression and anxiety.I am taking medicines since 3 months and all of sudden i am feeling my depression and anxiety is back since a week.is it to normal to have or do i have to increase my dosage
  • Posted

Hi all...i was going through all the conversations...i have episodes of depression and anxiety.I am taking medicines since 3 months and all of sudden i am feeling my depression and anxiety is back since a week.is it to normal to have or do i have to increase my dosage
  • Posted

Hi

Finally met my guy..Infact i even informed him about my medical condition which he accpeted too.do medicines affect ,if i am planning for my family way??.Doctor assured me it wont..Still this lingers into my mind..Next is i have few anxiety and panic then and there..Again i follow your guidelines to accept it than to fight it...However it make me irritable sometimes..i have crossed the darkest period but still whenever i think of stopping my medicines by weaning off slowly,iget those blips which makes me reconsider my decision to stop and continue forever..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.