Prozac side effects?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, 

I'm on day 7 of Prozac and I feel super detached from reality and my own body. I've also been experiencing super bad leg cramps localized in my calf..... kinda feels like a charlie horse. Also my anxiety has been heightened. Is this normal? For people who have experienced these side effects, when did they go away? Feeling lost rolleyes

Thanks in advance!

Brianna

1 like, 73 replies

73 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Brianna - this feeling can be with you for the first 3-4 weeks unfortunately. The problem with this type of medication is that many times it actually makes the symptoms worse at the beginning of the treatment. You need to give the medication time to work. Is it changing comparing to say day 1? Don't give it up if you can handle the side effects, if after 4 weeks you don't feel better speak to your doctor, maybe this med isn't for you and he will have to change it for something else.

I was put on sertraline before and had the worse trip in my anxiety journey, had side effects and allergic reaction to it. I felt stoned and completely detached from my body and mind, I thought I was going crazy. Went to dr in the middle of the night and turned out to be it isn't for me and I was told to come off it. The next day I went back to my regular GP who was fuming that I came off it, but I honestly couldn't deal with the side effects. I was told 3-4 weeks window to allow med to work tho.

Best of luck to you x

• Posted

UGH! Thanks so much for responding. That's how I feel! Like completely detached and definitely worse from when I startedrolleyes. Im so sorry you went through what you did on sertraline! This is already my third med so I'm praying it works..... I will definitely give it a few more weeks. Wish it didn't suck! How are you doing now?

• Posted

I am in the same boat as you I went cold turkey off mirtazapine for 6 days (really bad idea!) Then went back on it but higher dose and I am so detached from my body it scares me! It's like my mind is separated from me and it scares me! This is called depersonalisation I do have derealization which I've had for 12 years but I can manage it but it's so freaky this body detachment my hands dont look like mine and it sends me in a panic! It's just your chemicals in your braingetting use to the medication, try not to let it bother you but easier said then done! I feel like im losing it lol!

• Posted

Wow derealization for 12 years? OMG you poor thing sad(( I am wondering if your are maybe on too high dosage?Should you try lower one first? I know my friends who are on sertraline that they started the lowest possible and gradually built up, brain needs to get used to the substance, otherwise it just goes wild as it's too much stimulation... I think the main thing to remember is that we are healthy and we will not go crazy and not to fear that we are going mad cause we aren't! I was in derealization and deprsonalization state for few weeks and it was desperate feeling... But it passed and while I still get worse days, I feel much much better than before and I didn't go crazy! smile

• Posted

I think I got it when I was 24 through drinking too much and anxiety and stress I didn't start medication till I was about 29 (I stopped drinking when I was about 28!) To be honest my medication has done F all lol, its nice to talk to someone who has been what I am going through! Just hoping I get through this bad patch!

• Posted

It's breaking my heart hearing that people have to go through it, I feel your pain girl sad After I took sertraline I didn't sleep for 72 hrs, it was a nightmare... I stayed of meds since, all I take is Kalms (I live in Ireland) which is herbal med, I used to be on xanax if I was really bad, but I tried to just wait it out otherwise. I am much better now I must say, thank you. I got myself together, I tackled anxiety every way I could. My issues started 3 months ago and I have been through a lot since - panic attacks till the point of almost fainting, feeling detached from body, mind, world, as if I lived behind the glass, as if the world kicked me out of it, I have health anxiety and that's my main issue at the moment.But I tackled it by educating myself, reading A LOT, mainly successful stories of people who came out of it as it lifts my spirits. For the first time in a long time I believe this has it's end and that it will stop some day. That I will be back to my old self. I listen to a lot of talks on youtube from people who are successful, I don't reach out to DR. Google anymore and I don't self-diagnose myself, I ignore physical symptoms, take pain killers if I have to, stretch if muscles are tight, but mainly I do things, go places, don't lock myself at home. I think practice is the main thing - to convince our mind that we are fine and healthy and that we can do it!!! It's a long and often lonely journey but it slowly improves. I also completed 6 weeks of CBT and now starting counselling to deal with my post-miscarriage trauma. Hope it will help.

What is your background? Where did your anxiety come from? And why is it your 3rd med, did the other ones not work well? Fingers crossed for you this time it will work x

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your miscarriage 😢 and the trauma you went through! You sound exactly like me, I have depersonalisation & derealization and I keep myself busy, have long walks everyday listening to my fave music, I read inspirational recovery stories hoping g one day I will be able to write my own! I also watch youtube videos on recovery stories....I've had derealization for 12 years where you feel like living in a dream, but the detachment from my body has been about 3 weeks and it scares me and sends me into panic! (Having trouble with one of my medications and it's funked my brain up I think!) I've read lamotrigine is good for dissociative disorders so I asked the doc on Monday if I could try it and she let me I was well chuffed! How do you deal with your detachment?

• Posted

Hi guys!

Thanks so much for your replies, it's helpful to know I'm not alone! And Pamela I feel the same! Like my hands aren't mine etc. It's not helping with the anxiety!!! Im so sorry about your miscarriage sylwia! Please let me know if I can be of any help at all! And as far as my anxiety, it stems from OCD thougths I think..... For instance my mind will get fixated on one thought and not able to move past it then this in turn gives me anxiety. How did CBT therapy work? I've wondered about trying it. Also it's my third med because I had a HORRIBLE reaction to wellbutrin- too many panic attacks, tachycardia, felt crazy.. Then switched to lexapro which made me throw up rolleyes so my pdoc recommended prozac. It's only day 7 so I really hope things will get better!

Hugs to you all!

Brianna

• Posted

I'm too obsessed with my thoughts it's like I am stuck in my head! I read every self help book out there and nowt seems to help! Hopefully we we get through this $hit! 😊

• Posted

I know!!!!! Hopefully the meds will help!!! Just trying to remember I wasn't always like this so I feel like I can get back to that point. Do you feel like the meds have made your thoughts worse? I feel like so far that's the case!

• Posted

Thanks Brianna. I appreciate it x I will see how I get on now on this counselling, starting Friday!

I can understand both of ye as I think we all have the same issue - just obsessing on the thoughts, living it! Falling asleep and waking on the same thought! But we need time, it didn't all happen overnight!

I read in the leaflet before that people who are being put on sertraline, esp when they had suicidal thoughts before should be closely monitored esp for the first 2 weeks as they can make an attempt!!! :-O That says it all how the meds can make us feel worse before they make us feel bettersad So yes Brianna, I think it is just a part of it....

OCD it is so... I had OCD over counting to 5 when I was younger as I have 2 sisters so my family had 5 members, I thought if I don't do things in 5 then someone will die... No one died throughout the years needless to say wink CBT therapy was helpful, but didn't fully sort out everything because the therapist wasn't great.. but at least I got over my ex who was mentally abusing me for 11 years so I think it worked in some way smile But the mindfulness and looking at things from different perspective help a lot to recover. Worth trying, provided you are happy with your therapist! Home works are the best part tho as you have to practice. We can read and listen to things but with no practice they mean nothing. And yes, we will overcome it!!! As Brianna said we weren't always like that at the end of the day smile

• Posted

Thank you x It started my problems with anxiety... but I decided to fight it asap and not let it get arms and legs... it did anyway, just in fast-forward pace! wink What you just described is exactly what I do and just stay positive in all this mess!!

Never heard of that medication before, maybe worth giving a try alright! Esp if you have been suffering for depersonalisation for so many years... For me the derealization was very linked to panic attacks. I would be completely cut off myself for 3 days after an attack. I felt like walking on a cloud all the time, looking at myself in the mirror thinking who is the person I see, where is my old me, I felt like I was in someone else's body. It is scary, very frightening sensation, esp that I thought I will stay like this forever! But I didn't. I think it is very hard to control it when you are starting on new med as it is chemistry in your brain as you said and it's hard to do something about that, it is easier when it is your feelings, as it's something you can influence. When I feel detached I just try to distract myself, that works the best for me. Sitting at home and listening to my body is the worst thing. But I try to go places, even if it is shopping, despite from the fact that loads of times I am dizzy as soon as I walk in the shop! I can imagine it pushes you into panic attacks as your mind thinks there is a real danger, while there is none so it's adrenaline spike on the top of it! Have you tried beta-blockers? I am on propanolol, to reduce my adrenaline levels. I found it great as I think it makes a difference for me. And I am the one terrified of taking any medications but I am sticking to this one. How is your sleep Pam? What I noticed that my anxiety drops 50% when I get good night sleep and goes through the roof when I get crap night sleep..

• Posted

Sorry, I meant to ask both of you girls Brianna and Pam - how is your sleep?
    • Posted

Slept like crap last night and my anxiety is so bad today!!!!! Crazy how a good night's sleep can do all the difference. I think beta blocker will be the next step for me if this med doesn't work!! 

• Posted

Mines fine I'm on mirtazipine which makes you so drowsy and helps you sleep, if I didn't take it my sleep would be crap! I look forward to taking mine cos when I sleep I get a break from myself lol! My anxiety is horrendous at the moment too!

• Posted

I'm on propranolol after going cold turkey off my meds (back on them now suffered horrendous anxiety! ) But still my anxiety has never ever been this bad before! I walk miles in a day there is some woods over the road from me I'm at home alone all day and try not to sit down at the moment cos of my anxiety, keeping myself busy while my little boy is at school and my husband is at work. Lately I look at my husband and I don't recognise him no more it's so freaky! I too can't look in the mirror at the moment I was even looking at my photos today and didn't recognise myself, I hope this passes! I can handle being in a dream world but this detachment from my body is unbearable, I keep telling myself it's just a sensation of anxiety and my medication.

• Posted

Will do....let me know how tomorrow is 😊 I'm getting drowsy now just took my mirtazipine lol take care both of you x

• Posted

PAM !!! I feel the same!!!! I look at people and it's such a weird detachment feeling! It's awful!!!! I will definitely let you know how tomorrow is and you do the same! It's just the anxiety and we will get past this!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.