Prozac side effects?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, 

I'm on day 7 of Prozac and I feel super detached from reality and my own body. I've also been experiencing super bad leg cramps localized in my calf..... kinda feels like a charlie horse. Also my anxiety has been heightened. Is this normal? For people who have experienced these side effects, when did they go away? Feeling lost rolleyes

Thanks in advance!

Brianna

1 like, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sweet dreams girls and keep me posted how ye are getting on. Do remember it is only from the anxiety and meds and you are not going crazy!! Re how you see your husband - I've been there too!!! But it does pass, himself sits next to me now and he is my old babe again smile It does all pass eventually!!! I hope ye get some good sleep tonight as it makes a world of a difference. And remember there is a lot of us out there and I am slowly but surely coming out of it and ye will too! Hugs for you both xxx

• Posted

Good morning I don't know how long I take this anymore....I really feel like ending it all! I'm a bit depressed this morning feeling teary! Can't cope! 😢

• Posted

Good morning Pam. I'm so sorry to hear you are so down sad I read something recently where it says that studies show that people are at their lowest mood in the mornings - all the people, so esp people with anxiety are even worse... I wish I could help. I know how you feel as I used to have thoughts too before thinking would the world be better off without me... but think of your family, friends, all the people you care about, thinking of them in pain if I was gone gave me strenght to keep fighting.

Would you consider speaking to your doctor? Wondering if the dosage you are taking is too high? Is detachment the biggest issue for you at the mo? How did you sleep last night?

• Posted

Thanks sylwia. ....feeling a bit better now...yes mornings are the worst at the moment, slept good but my body detachment feels a bit better today haven't really noticed it, I'm feeling really sick and hot at the moment...how are you today? Did you sleep ok?

• Posted

Sorry it's taking me ages to reply but I am in new job 4th week and it's all about the trainings!! Glad to hear you are feeling better, every little helps! Hmm... wondering is it a bug your body is fighting or maybe just anxiety... I remember I used to have burning sensation in my hands when anxious, TG it stopped recently. Have you noticed any new symptoms recently that you haven't had before? I noticed my symptoms get replaced with new ones every so often and of course get my mind going as I then think I have some new ilness ha ha

I am not too bad today, I felt a bit anxioys whwn I woke in the morning but that went away, I just have bad headache but that's nothing new these days.. I woke at night with fast and heavy breathing, even tho I am sleeping well for the last 4-5 weeks. But trying to think no more about it.

Tell me Pam, do you work? What do you do during the days to distract yourself?

• Posted

Morning all. Forgive my late response but I'm from the US- so it's just morning now for me!! 😂. Pam so sorry you are having a rough morning. Sylwia is right, think of your family and those who care about you. Glad your detachment is getting better! Mine is ok this morning, not as bad as yesterday I think. Congrats on the new job sylwia! 

• Posted

Good morning brianna glad to hear your detachment is ok...it's 1:30pm here and this is when my detachment gets bad, I just wish I knew why I am getting all these horrible side effects. I feel panic attacks e moment. ...my body feels like I have flu!

• Posted

Hi Pam, 

Yeah my detachment usually gets worse at night rolleyes. It's only 8:45am here! I think the side effects are the worse in the first few weeks then seem to dicipate, I think things definitely get worse before better!!! Hang in there with me Pam. 

• Posted

Yeah ill hang in there with you Brianna 😆 hope things improve for you today x

• Posted

You too Pam! Let me know how things are a bit later and I'll do the same. Gotta go brave the work day 🙄

• Posted

Thanks Brianna smile I had to find a new job as my old workplace screwed me after almost 11 years and that started all the stresses in my life, miscarriage in April brought on my first panic attack. And here I am now in new job, against all odds and anxiety and I am finally getting back on my feet. Literally as there have been days when I would be on the bed or floor afraid to get up because I was worried i would collapse. Even tho I never collapsed in my life before!

Delighted for you that you are feeling better! Thise days are great, aren't they? They give hope and confidence it will get better some day!

Pam - any chance you have a bug? I was on antibiotic last week due to bad bug... of course I was thinking it was something more when my throat was sore like cancer or smtg but of course I was wrong, again! wink

• Posted

Sylwia, 

That sucks that your job screwed you over! But everything happens for a reason and I'm sure you'll be even happier at this new job. 

These days are the best. I usually feel pretty good in the morning then kinda go downhill as the work day goes on 🤷🏼???. 

• Posted

I don't think I could handle going to work I'm a house wife and I use to love doing things around the house now I just sit on my bum most of the day!

• Posted

Pam,

At first I think this sounds awesome,  being able to sit around all day and not have to be somewhere. But this is how our anxiety can get worse. Spending most of the day alone with your thoughts. Try to go out and do something for you today! Maybe get your nails done? Get out of the house! Also I think it helps if you have a pet, because then even when you're alone, you're not really alone smile

• Posted

I know what you mean Pam but I can tell you that from my experience sitting at home gave me anxiety... I have been working since age of 21 (33 as of today! wink) and I had to go out sick in Dec 2016 till Sept 2017. It wqs the worst time of my life!!! I am only back to work 4th week now but I can already see the improvement! Just this week it is much better, the first 3 weeks I was stressing that i wont manage, that I will collapse, make a fool of myself, that people will find out I have anxiety and will reject me etc. None of it has happened!!! And since I dont have time anymore to think about how i feel or what illnesses I have I noticed 70% improvement which I never thought was possible! I feel soooo much bettet now. Still have pains and aches and BUT/WHAT IF thoughts sometimes but I just dont overthink it anymore. Please brainstorm on how can you fill your days with some jobs outside of the house. It might be a game changet for you!

How long are you a house wife may I ask?

• Posted

Oh happy birthday sylwia 🎂 hope you are having a wonderful day! I do keep myself busy, we have woods opposite were I live and I have long walks everyday ( I've just been for a jog 😊 ) I just want these horrible side effects to end! I think I know why I am feeling so detached it's cos I am literally stuck in my head listening to my racing thoughts! I've just done a meditation on youtube so I'll be doing that everyday hoping this helps x

• Posted

...I've never really had a proper job my husband works I'm 36 when I'm well I'm ok keeping myself busy 😊

• Posted

I hope so....I'm also trying to focus on things and listening to background noise instead of stuck in my head 😊

• Posted

Thank you ladies! smile

Good on you Pam! Well done for going out and doing meditation smile Try to make your daily habit. You have the luxury of having time in the morning and eve so try to do it even twice a day. Try mindfulness, it is easy as u dont really have to do anything, just follow the instructions smile It has helped me a lot to look at things from perspective!

I am just brainstorming here now but is there any way there could be a link to you never really working and the fact that you suffer from anxiety for so many years? Of course i am not all of a sudden trying to talk you into getting a job cause I know running a house is a full time job in itself! Maybe consider volunteering, even few hours a week? Just to do something different (if not interested/unable in part time job). Going out to people would defo help. I will honestly tell you that being at home on my own with my viscious thoughts was the worst thing ever for me. Too much time to think!!

How is your day going Brianna?

• Posted

Good on you! smile meeting friends is also good, esp that you will have to focus on their problems then and will forget about yours wink
    • Posted

Yeah I've had anxiety a long time...it's my derealization that doesn't help! ( I've had it 12 years!) I so want to change! When these side effects subside I'm gonna do more! 😊

• Posted

Cool, defo think about options. I heard someone saying before that if you things the same way all the time, you get the same results every single time! So hopefully changing something will also help your overall anxiety. Fingers crossed your derealization will subside soon x
    • Posted

Hey Pam...

What does your doctor say about your derealization? I feel like 12 years is too long to be suffering! Hopefully this medication will help!! Ans sylwia, doing OK so far today. Not really sure if the medication is working or not rolleyes But I've only been on it for 9 days so hopefully I will start to feel SOMETHING soon smile 

• Posted

Hopefully your medication will start working soon brianna 😊 I told my doctor after I had it for a few months and he just sighed and said are you on drugs? He didn't know what I was on about, anyways 12 years later I only told my new surgery doctor about it last week and she gave me a number for a mental health charity therapist, so I'm on a waiting list at the moment. I've just read a good article on hyper awareness of how you feel when you are anxious and how the mind separates it self from the body it was really interesting!

• Posted

I know!!! Hopefully soon!!! And that article sounds really interesting. I highly suggest seeing a psychiatrist. They can make sure you're on the ride medication... there are specific medications for derealozation!

• Posted

Glad to hear that smile everything is crossed the medication starts kicking in! Hopefully when you feel better you will be able to doing other stuff too to help come out of anxiety. We dont have to stick to it all our lives!!
    • Posted

Helli! I am just back from the cinema wink I am ok, but have pain in my side/stomach since last night that doesn't wanna go away so wrecks my head. Might go to GP over the next few days as I know my liver is enlarged due to medications over the years.. but I try not to stress to much about it wink How are you Brianna? How's your day going?

• Posted

How was the cinema?? What did you see??? And aw sorry to hear that!! Hopefully it goes away smile I'm actually at urgent care right now because I've had this pain in my leg that won't go away! Hopefully it's nothing too serious rolleyes

• Posted

Good morning!! The movie was goos, it was Blade Runner, not really my cup of tea but himself wanted to go wink

Let me know how the visit went? Hope you are ok?? I was considering myself to go to my GP today but will wait till after the weekend as otherwise blood samples will sit there for the weekend :O

• Posted

That sounds like a nice night out! And the visit was ok, he thought maybe it might be a blot clot. Scary!  But all the tests were negative so turns out I just must've injured it somehow. 

• Posted

Great! Glad to heae it is all good. Poor thing, you must have got a fright sad Delighted to everything is good. How's the form today?

I have my first councellig session about the miscarriage... hope it will go well.

• Posted

Yes, very happy all is well! And it was scary! But glad everything is OK. How was your counseling?? Let us know! Pam how are you??
    • Posted

Hi smile Counselling was good, I got few materials to read at home and do my homework wink I didn't really start on the miscarriage topic today and seems like my counsellor has a different plan for me. He thinks I should try to build up some resilience first before I look into that topic... I am feeling good, this is prob the best week so far in the last 3 months! Only that liver area pain wrecks my head so may go to GP tomorrow or Monday to give me some advice on what to do with it!

How is your pain now? Is it gone?

• Posted

Hi sylwia! 

Hope your weekend is off to a great start! That's good that he wants you to build up to talking about it.. I think that's a great idea! Hopefully the homework will help 😂. And definitely go to your GP, just to get piece of mind for that 🙂. My pain is good today! It's definitely improving. 

Hugs!

Brianna

• Posted

Hi Brianna! I can say it isn't too bad wink Although I went to emergency unit today as I am having a lot of pains in my stomach recently and my GP is just useless at this stage... so I decided to go to hospital to get a thorough check - bloods are fine and liver seems to be not too bad. I was referred to have a CT scan done on my abdomen next week to see if it could be gallstones of kidney stones. If it is - let it be, at least I will know what I am fighting wink)

Delighted to hear your pain is lifting! So happy now and it made my day as knowing people are improving is great!! Hope you are enjoying your weekend too smile Stay in touch and let me know how you are getting on, will be thinking of you!

S xxx

• Posted

Oh no! So sad to hear you were in the ER today! Great that you got a thorough look though! Definitely keep me updated on the CT scan! What did they say about your liver? And I agree, it's much better knowing what you are up against!

Yeah my pain is pretty subtle now! So hoping the same thing happens for you! I will definitely keep you in touch. My weekend is good! Having a few drinks now! Cheers to the weekened! Will be thinking of you too!

-Brianna

• Posted

Thanks! I am OK, I decided to go there myself because my doctor keeps giving me painkillers while he has no interest finding out what causes the pain. Defo will let you know how my CT went. I think it is just so imprtant with anxiety to know what you're fighting with and know that it's real!

My pain subsided a bi, feeling a little bit anxious but just a tiny bit and having it under control! Also having a drink right now - happy days biggrin) Enjoy your drinks and feeling good - better days are coming!!!!! 🍸🍹🍻😊

• Posted

Ugh! Your doctor sounds like he sucks! Good that you're getting to the bottom of it! It's so important to know what you're up against!!! Definitely eases the anxiety!

Glad to know your pain has subsided a bit, I bet the drink is helping!!!- Definitely helping me smile Better days are coming!! I believe that for sure. Cheers again!!!!

• Posted

He does... in fact he indirectly killed a patient before...and was suspended sad time for change I think!! Oh and in ER they said that my liver is slightly enlarged but it functions well smile

Big time, we have to know what the issues are and tbh I nearly wish tgere was stones there just so I know what causes the pain. But not worrying about it! Yip, the drink is helping alright ;D Enjoy your night girl, you deserve it! You are great support for me x So happy you are feeling better 😊

Cheers to the freakin' weekend!!! 😁

• Posted

Hey girl, 

Oh my, GET A NEW DOCTOR!!! Great that your liver functions well! Definitely need to get to the bottom of the enlargement! A nice drink ALWAYS helps with the nerves! I know exactly what you mean about wanting it to be stones! I wanted my leg pain to be a clot because then at least I new what it was!

You're great support for me too! I feel ok today- forgot to take my meds last night (whoops) so behind a day but should be OK. Cheers to the weekend indeed!!! What time is it over there? Only 5pm here lol

• Posted

Ha ha yes, a good drink is a blessing 😉 That's exactly it, we fear the worst but at the same time we just want it to be something we can name!

Glad to hear, no one can understand the other person with anxiety as much as someone who has/had it. Thank God for this forum smile Oh! It is 10pm here biggrin I am based in Ireland (but I'm Polish so if there is any funky spelling you have to forgive me! 😉wink

All eve ahead of you, nice one! Great that missing tablet didn't mess it up, I bet your positive attitude is helping to improve your health. Have a good one smile

• Posted

Good drink is such a blessing! I'm based in Massachusetts! So crazy that time difference! My parents just got back from Ireland! They loved it! 

Agreed, we want to give it a name! Also agree... attitude is everything ! Enjoy the rest of your night 🙂🙂

• Posted

I know ya, the time difference is mad but I'm used to dealing with people from US in work so I know you are usually up around noon here smile Cool, it is good to know where you are in US, it makes it feel like I know you more smile

Oh that is crazy now about your parents smile Glad they loved it!! If you ever decide to visit defo give me a shout and we organise a night out! smile Say Hi to your parents from me and have a wonderful night! Hugs xxx

• Posted

Meant to ask if your parents visited Cork while they were in Ireland by any chance?? I live here wink
    • Posted

Oh oh.. it's lovely up there too! Next time they must visit Cork and Galway 😊

• Posted

😊

Stay in touch Brianna, I'm curious to know how will your journey with prozac go (I work for company that makes prozac 😉wink. Hope it will work for you, keeping my fingers crossed for you getting your life back! X

• Posted

Definitely! And no way!!! That's too funny. Hopefully it does work then!! 😂😂

• Posted

True!! Ha ha 😂 You know who to file your sdverse effects to! Ha ha ha

But yip, that's the new job I got 4 weeks ago 😎

• Posted

What company is it? What do you for them???? That's so cool! And I'll definitely be telling you all my side effects 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.